What would it take?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What would it take for you to do promotional work?

I dont need any rewards, I'll do it anyway.
30%
Quest XP would be nice.
19%
Other rewards for any of my characters. (please tell us what)
4%
Rewards wont help, I am not really interested, I just wish to play.
7%
There no use in promotion, the game is too flawed. (what needs to be fixed first?)
33%
Genesis is dead/sucks, who cares about promotion.
7%

Total votes: 27

Azarias
Beginner

Re: What would it take?

Post by Azarias » 02 Mar 2012 09:43

Gub wrote:Here's a forum dedicated to MUD advertisement, maybe you could coordinate a day across multiple sites.

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/advertising-players/
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discu ... promotions

EDIT: Adding more sites
These two are your bread a butter sites, 70% of all Mudders use these or have at one point and time. I know Top Mud's had two of our players who posted a recruitment. But the more of us that post on a topic created the more people will be inclined to test it out, think of it as a product your wanting to buy from Newegg, you always check the reviews no matter how good the specs.

I am more then willing to get at least that started but support from the players themselves, testimonials etc, is what is going to be the deal breaker on whether we sink or swim.

Also perhaps getting someone to create a banner for Top Mud would be a good way to spend a bit of the cash for the promotion? I see a few Muds that have created little banners that go across the top for advertisement may be a good place to start.
Cherek wrote:I made the list and was hoping the community could add more ideas. To begin with. My first idea was to make an event of it, and reward players with in game stuff for promotional work. The voting clearly shows thats probably not much use since only 2 people besides me seem to be interested in that, which is also what Gorboth thought, I guess he was right. Uh, not that I doubted of course..:)
I think people just need a real incentive, I would be willing out of my own pocket to do this event.

If the community can get together and get Genesis on the top 10 of TopMud's for one month I would do a raffle for a random person to win $50 US. An second 50$ raffle if we can reach the #3 or higher spot. Whether it succeeds in getting an influx of players or not.

Our game description on there does need a bit of sprucing up though, believe it just says

Genesis

The Original LP Mud

And clicking on our info seems to be updated with new admin but no new description.
Two!

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 02 Mar 2012 11:43

Azarias wrote:70% of all Mudders use these or have at one point and time.
That's an interesting stat, where did you get that?

If you post something I'll write a paragraph or two as a follow up.

Maybe some of the follow ups could be the recruitment posters we see plastered all of Genesis, along with follow up roleplay comments from different factions? Could be fun.

Azarias
Beginner

Post by Azarias » 02 Mar 2012 19:22

Gub wrote:
Azarias wrote:70% of all Mudders use these or have at one point and time.
That's an interesting stat, where did you get that?

If you post something I'll write a paragraph or two as a follow up.

Maybe some of the follow ups could be the recruitment posters we see plastered all of Genesis, along with follow up roleplay comments from different factions? Could be fun.
I'll have to find the article but someone a year or so ago did a poll on where all new players learned of the MUD by speaking with the top 20 admins and 70% of all newcommers came from those sites. Was a 45%, 25% split between Top Mud and MudConnector.
Two!

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 27 Apr 2012 07:19

Additionally -- they have a section on the top muds site's forum where you can promote events or new things (I had posted Gorboth's note about the new imbuements) -- i think if time was spent coding events ..then whenever we have an event, it gives us another excuse to post on the forum. People see new events as activity. If lets say I posted a note on the forum about the event, and after the event posted some of the results and others posted how great it was ... ppl might be inclined to check it out. Tends to be that the more ppl respond to posts.. the more often people will click on that topic as well to see whats going on. Activity spurs more activity.

and lets be honest.... more ppl log into the game when there is a planned event because its an opportunity for some kind of adventure that is different than the norm, more xp, or they know there will be more people to interact with

My posting about the new website 1613 views (I'm guessing because someone asked me questions about it.. so people went back to read the new comments)
My posting about new imbuements - 508 views

*editted - if for some reason anything I said above is in contradiction to Laurel's thoughts, opinions and ideas -- I apologize now. I will remove them swiftly should that prove to be true **
Last edited by Kitriana on 27 Apr 2012 07:31, edited 2 times in total.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 27 Apr 2012 12:24

I've been doing promotional work for YEARS, where is my damn qexp!?!?!? :P

Have gotten around 20 people total to play this game atleast one of them is still around and plays actively.

When people grow tired of lame games with graphics I direct them here :o

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Apr 2012 17:00

Draugor wrote:I've been doing promotional work for YEARS, where is my damn qexp!?!?!? :P

Have gotten around 20 people total to play this game atleast one of them is still around and plays actively.

When people grow tired of lame games with graphics I direct them here :o
Your reward is more player to play with!

But yes, I think we should reward players who bring in other players to the game. Question is how.

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 04 May 2012 00:07

Cherek wrote:I think we should reward players who bring in other players to the game. Question is how.
The problem seems to be twofold, determining that the character is a manifestation of an actually new player and deciding at what point of advancement that player can truly be considered to have been brought to Genesis, with the former being the real difficulty.

On the other hand, it is decidedly easy to determine that a character is on Genesis and is performing an action to benefit a specific character, and these sorts Social Gaming leveraging techniques can be used as stand-ins for the more difficult determinations, such as in the transformation section of my short session crafting system.
strider wrote:[...] more usefully other characters can check-in on the project in a way that increases the odds of success, lowers the personal risk to the character and/or increases the potency of the resulting item. Naturally, factors like the size, age, and skill of the character will increase the check-in bonus.
That tuning being more about rewarding getting established characters to log in and limiting the utility of simply creating check-in characters.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/