Dead Gentlemen Collaboration

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Dead Gentlemen Collaboration

Post by gorboth » 03 Aug 2012 02:02

I agree with everything in your post, Targun. We badly need to address these issues. But we cannot address them simply by paying people to code for us. The work here is in design switches, which require very little coding at all. Rather, they require bold design decisions, which cannot be hired out.

I think we're on the same page. The thing that stands between where we are and where we want to be is the Admin finding the time to come together and deal with these needs as a team. Myself, as an example, have been very distracted by things other than Genesis lately, and not been available to deal with such ideals.

I'll see what I can do to change that for myself, at least.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 03 Aug 2012 08:59

That's quite the bind then...

We can't pay someone to help out.
But the current wizards are few, and the workload is huge, so things change in a snail-pace.
Still the game needs changes, to retain players.
Before the changes are done, promotion might be for nothing.

So...promoting now won't work, hiring coders won't work - Then the status quo is the only option?

That can't be right...

What's the solution then?
How then, can things be changed/coded/finished faster, so the promotional effort will have a lasting effect?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 03 Aug 2012 16:08

It can be done. It will require sustained hard-work from the wizards followed by effective promotion by everyone, players and wizards alike. I do think that in terms of the "new player experience" our game is already fairly ready for promotion. Where I agree with Targun is that that our game mechanics have caused the game to become dissatisfying for returning players who want to "live" in genesis.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 Aug 2012 18:23

Well, one thing that could help is to advertise more strongly for new wizards? Maybe even advertising for certain positions? Instead of becoming a wizard and trying to learn basic stuff, then move on the areas, etc, etc, maybe we simply should look for people to do certain tasks directly? I think many wizards, myself included, tire quickly because they get stuck without a real mission. Sure, you can think of something yourself, but its probably more motivating if you're "hired" for a special task and can dig in right away.

Obviously you need to have some type of programming experience to apply for these type of tasks, those who dont will probably have to become wizards the regular way and learn from scratch. But I know we have many skilled programmers in our community, and if asked directly about certain tasks, I think they are much more likely to be interested to help out.

For instance: Quest typo fixer needed. Coding skills required: basic.

Etc.

And I mean primarily to seek within our own community. I know for a fact we have players who's been thinking about wizzing but feel that they cant keep playing if they wiz, or think its very hard, or have some negative preconception about the wizard community, etc.

We have never actually promoted the game to the public, and we have never actively been "headhunting" coders either. That we could do.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 03 Aug 2012 18:44

hi there,

I have just one question, since I am not THAT much into muds (spent MUCH time only on two). We have 2012 - is there any mud out there with +/- 100 players online?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 03 Aug 2012 20:27

Some suggestions(take 10x^c):

*The tutorial should approximately last max an hour with no grinding components.
Linear approach.

*Newbies in the tutorial could make a selection of which occ guild to
instantly become a "neophyte member" of, so when finishing the
tutorial, the player could be transported directly to that guild and be
potentially integrated in an already existing guild community. An
autonomous feature that watches guild activites could point the
player to an active guild (and warn them about idle/dead guilds).

*Drop the brute, or find some alternative uses for it. If there is a
significant hate for the Necessity for questing, then the system
don't really work. Lets let this dead dinosaur decompose, shall we?

* Questxp can be used for an alternate progressionladder.

* Alright, dying in Genesis is obviously painfull..perhaps too painfull especially
when dealing with deaths connected to pvp/ganks. Drop the xp penalty for
playerrelated deaths, and rather invoke some sort of a meaningfull resurrection
sickness that doesn't compromise months of hard work/grind.

* Programmingprojects in Genesis often go for a full/total package, as in opposed to
an organic modulbased approach. Not sure how many wizards that have left due to
spending months coding stuff and getting the shaft at the end, but it's quite a few.
The latter means you code smaller working segments and inject them into the game,
one at a time. For example, you recode One spell or ability at a time and put them live,
or perhaps a room or some feature.

* More autonomous events?

*Some cool graphical stuff, or even maps on the homepage showing ingame activities and player
locations (with x delay to prevent some level of abuse)

*Questsolutions. Officially supported at the webpage (with the usual disclaimers. Yes, people
DO use these if they must.

- Plus many more, but I'll start with these.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 03 Aug 2012 20:33

Ill agree with most things.. Except death penalty.
Unless a hardcap is intruduced on size.

Also, remove the INSANE racial stat differences.
You know.. a myth elf that focuses ONLY on physicals is no where even near a goblin champ in actual power?
Give races other things instead of stat bonuses or penalties.
Maybe we would see some gnomes in the donut too, and not only goblins and dwarves :x

Gear inflation.. Yeah you all know what im talking about.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 04 Aug 2012 04:27

Kvator: Batmud has over 100 players online right now if I counted right... I think they have more than that on peak hours. So no, not all muds are dead or dying. I dont know exactly what they did to succeed, but they do have a very appealing website, a custom and pretty visual client, and if I understand correctly they have had or has an advertisement team working on marketing.

The game itself I dont know, my first impression was it sucked in more than one way... but I didnt really give it more than 10 min when I tried it.

I think there are fairly successful polish muds out there too? Our polish players keep mentioning some of them as references of successful muds all the time.:)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 04 Aug 2012 06:30

http://arkadia.rpg.pl/czarodzieje-arkadii
steady 40-50 per day
btw. plenty Gen players in the wizard section

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 04 Aug 2012 12:56

yeah, but used to be more than 250 + queue :>
(still have my chaos mutant there :D)