The Noob webcomic

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should we place a banner on The Noob webcomic?

Yes
88%
No
No votes
I don't care
12%

Total votes: 25

Kitriana
Champion

Re: The Noob webcomic

Post by Kitriana » 22 Aug 2012 20:01

maybe we could have loubet create this for us? so we maintain the Genesis look...
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 22 Aug 2012 22:27

Kitriana wrote:maybe we could have loubet create this for us? so we maintain the Genesis look...
We would have to pay for it, we wouldn't have if for 6 months I guess and I really did not like what we have on the Genesis site. I know I would never click on a banner for game that looked like that.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Aug 2012 22:42

The issue with size may be an issue, but I would probably just go with our top banner from the web page.

The fact that it is in black and white is something I get a lot of negative comments on. Frankly, I think it is one of the selling points because it looks utterly different from anything else out there. I'll investigate the implications of the pixel size situation and see what seems best.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 22 Aug 2012 22:46

gorboth wrote:The issue with size may be an issue, but I would probably just go with our top banner from the web page.

The fact that it is in black and white is something I get a lot of negative comments on. Frankly, I think it is one of the selling points because it looks utterly different from anything else out there. I'll investigate the implications of the pixel size situation and see what seems best.

G.
I like it that it is in black and white and the drawing style, I don't like that it looks like a new Civ game for a happy happy family. It says nothing about excitement, danger or anything else that genesis is, in my opinion.

But I shouldn't hijack my own thread. :)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Aug 2012 22:50

We could also use some of the artwork on the backdrop that Loubet designed for the "background" of the official client. That definitely shows the danger/combat/adventure/alignment variety the game offers. Unfortunately, it is not currently formatted for the banner size used by the webcomic. If any of our talented artists want to grab the graphics and whip up a banner based on any of Loubet's images, they certainly have full permission to do so (Cherek??)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 22 Aug 2012 23:08

actually -- i could try my hand at that -- i know how to use photoshop decently if I could get the art in its original form and some direction on what people want.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 22 Aug 2012 23:29

Can someone give me the spec requirements?
What DPI does it need to be? What size/dimensions should the banner be?

Do we want several options?
I don't know how to make anything flash or blink -- I can only create a 2D flat image.
Can you tell me what exactly you want based on the existing art?
What kind of text besides Genesis existing text do you want it to say?

All of you guys seems to have great ideas and opinions -- lets hear them.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 22 Aug 2012 23:36

https://www.projectwonderful.com/wecanhelp.php?id=3
here are some tips on banners/ads

https://www.projectwonderful.com/adtemplates.php

here you can see the sizes. I believe the "banner ad" is what we are looking at. 468x60
There is also a "skyscraper ad" 160x600

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Aug 2012 08:25

My idea was to combine the "scrolling text part" with the Genesis graphics. So it starts with a few rows of text (white on black) that says "kill dragon" / "nazgul" / "whatever", then a few lines of combat scroll by, and the "end plate" is out website top banner with some type of "Play Genesis now"-text.

Obviously we could pick any part of our game for the text part. Anything that in a very quick way explains a text game. It could also be funny, like a joke on annoying syntaxes... we could have different text parts, but always end with the same end graphics.

Yes it would be animated, and I think it should be. Animated ADs are MUCH more noticable than a still image. And yes I too could help out with that.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 23 Aug 2012 16:11

Cherek wrote:My idea was to combine the "scrolling text part" with the Genesis graphics. So it starts with a few rows of text (white on black) that says "kill dragon" / "nazgul" / "whatever", then a few lines of combat scroll by, and the "end plate" is out website top banner with some type of "Play Genesis now"-text.

Obviously we could pick any part of our game for the text part. Anything that in a very quick way explains a text game. It could also be funny, like a joke on annoying syntaxes... we could have different text parts, but always end with the same end graphics.

Yes it would be animated, and I think it should be. Animated ADs are MUCH more noticable than a still image. And yes I too could help out with that.
Try cooking one up, Cherek. If I think it represents the game well and feel good about using it, we most certainly can. There is no reason we have to limit this to just one person working on banners.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/