New players! OH NO what to do??!

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Hektor
Veteran

New players! OH NO what to do??!

Post by Hektor » 22 Aug 2012 15:14

New thread to avoid hijacking.

It has been suggested to use the Noob comic as a platform for advertising for new players.

I personally endorse the idea. However:

Laurel raised a good point. Can we help these newcomers - are we ready?
Laurel wrote:
Are people actually ready to be there for those new players? To answer "stupid" questions and give hints without being jerks?

Hope so.
I suggested that
hektor wrote: My suggestion: Some players find a fixed weekday say tuesday or wednesday and login from X to Y, and stand around in Sparkle at a fixed location with the sole purpose of helping newbies (and communicate this on the forum and boards around the MUD). I will see about what weekday and login that fits my schedule, but I think I could make it every wednesday from 19-21. (no promises yet).

Other suggestions?
The responses given insofar:
zar wrote:If do so, important that players turn into newbie friendly mode.
Help in quests/fights/skills/general info.
arcon wrote:Helpful is good but not too much help. Give too much help and there won't be any challenge left for the new players. If they don't feel the danger and excitment they won't return I think. They must be allowed to explore and get lost themself. Nudging them in the right direction is good but putting them on the road and tell them to take the second path to the east is too much I think. Honestly I think that newbies need to run into danger as soon as they can. And I think it is even more important that they can do it with other newbies. I am sure a lot of newbies had the time of their life when teaming up to slay Kretans even if they die in the battle.
Laurel wrote:I'm with Arcon on this one (and probably Cherek too).
Best newbie experience I had was when there were plenty cadets around and we raced eachother to next level. In that case it was "who will be able to kill the bigger Kretans?" ... ;p When one of the group became a veteran and joined gladiators, we were all in awe at his skills and possibilities.
Those things are never the same later on.
I even remember reporting once to have been attacked by a monk (whom I knew had a stun), cause I saw I was stunned in a pfight ... only to be laughed at, cause it was Blake's (Calian back then) maul that stunned me. ;p The ignorance of a beginner ;p
Thanks for your input guys. Good stuff. I will keep it in mind.

Re: Zar. As for being newbie friendly, I think that is self evident. :) I would not waste my time, the effort of the promotion and trust of the community just to chase away newcomers.

Re: Arcon & Laurel. I agree we should not "do the work" for them. Never. But taking the time to team, tell them some places to go, give them a few golds and lead them on their way rather than saying "It could be over there, learn it for yourself" has in my experience yielded the best results in people wanting to stay. The very best thing in people staying is for them to meet other newbies to learn with. That was the idea with "fixed time and place".

Having had some suggestions on how not to do what I suggested we could do...

Any other ideas on how not to do what I suggested we could do or alternative suggestions to what we can do? :)
Lawful evil - conform or die.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: New players! OH NO what to do??!

Post by gorboth » 22 Aug 2012 23:14

In my opinion, here is a problematic situation:
  • True newbie arrives, is greeted and invited to team.
  • The newbie joins the team, which consists of a myth and a few other high level players.
  • There is no roleplay, but they take the newbie out to grind stats, etc.
  • The newbie sees a bunch of spam on their screen as combat happens for an hour.
  • At the end of the hour, the newbie is now a wanderer.
  • The myth announces that they have to log off, hands the newbie 200 plats, and dumps them back in Sparkle.
Dreadful stuff, this! It's the classic mistake that too many good-intentioned "helpers" make. As has been observed by other comments above, it robs the new player of their first steps into the game, the feeling of accomplishment and enjoyment that comes from mastering the early parts of the game on your own, and a great deal of understanding of how things actually work.

One suggestion I have is for players who really want to go the extra mile as a newbie helper would be to create three or four characters that you yourself can use to meet and adventure with newbies on their level:
  • One utter-newbie for the Tutorial area.
  • One beginner-level for first steps in Sparkle.
  • One wanderer-level for adventures in various domains once the new player is ready.
This way, you could meet them as a peer, and roleplay at their level rather than as some unreachable ancient who would instantly destroy any foe their size.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Aug 2012 23:34

gorboth wrote:In my opinion, here is a problematic situation:
  • True newbie arrives, is greeted and invited to team.
  • The newbie joins the team, which consists of a myth and a few other high level players.
  • There is no roleplay, but they take the newbie out to grind stats, etc.
  • The newbie sees a bunch of spam on their screen as combat happens for an hour.
  • At the end of the hour, the newbie is now a wanderer.
  • The myth announces that they have to log off, hands the newbie 200 plats, and dumps them back in Sparkle.
Dreadful stuff, this! It's the classic mistake that too many good-intentioned "helpers" make. As has been observed by other comments above, it robs the new player of their first steps into the game, the feeling of accomplishment and enjoyment that comes from mastering the early parts of the game on your own, and a great deal of understanding of how things actually work.

One suggestion I have is for players who really want to go the extra mile as a newbie helper would be to create three or four characters that you yourself can use to meet and adventure with newbies on their level:
  • One utter-newbie for the Tutorial area.
  • One beginner-level for first steps in Sparkle.
  • One wanderer-level for adventures in various domains once the new player is ready.
This way, you could meet them as a peer, and roleplay at their level rather than as some unreachable ancient who would instantly destroy any foe their size.

G.
I RP with the newbs :P Almost spend more time explaining stuff to them when playing. Mainly lead them around and ask what they want out of "life" so to speak :P And then try to give suggestions as to where they can do that. So! NO MOAR GENERALISING! Silly Wraith thingie >.<

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 23 Aug 2012 18:32

Thought we should kill and harrass other newbies, at least that what I did when I was a newbie myself :twisted:

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 23 Aug 2012 18:43

OgreToyBoy wrote:Thought we should kill and harrass other newbies, at least that what I did when I was a newbie myself :twisted:

Thats why we love you so. :twisted:

Creed

Post by Creed » 23 Aug 2012 19:26

Sounds like my first act in genesis, too..

I met another totally new novice, just like myself.. and attacked.
Had no clue what I was doing. Thought it was an npc, or something.

After a LONG fight, where noone really did or said anything, I think I won. No sure though.
Was then quite soon after told that it was not the way to go about it :p

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 23 Aug 2012 20:34

OgreToyBoy wrote:Thought we should kill and harrass other newbies, at least that what I did when I was a newbie myself :twisted:
You do and I'll give you such a pinch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHTUDwc1fd8

Now, please lets stay on topic.
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/