Convention potential

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Berwyn
Veteran

Re: Convention potential

Post by Berwyn » 21 Feb 2013 05:02

"Why would any "mud-new" polish gamer choose Gen instead of Arka anyway?"

Plenty of reasons! The atmosphere of an old school RPG is very strong in Genesis, even though some players obviously treat it the same way as new age mmorpg games. I mean if you enjoyed MERP or WHFRP, Genesis has similar feeling when you play it.

A Polish rpg-fantasy gamer can learn english this way - and there are most of the main fantasy domains in Genesis - everyone can find something for himself there.

The community here is great - the way people share their opinions, their attitude, how problems are solved, they way all things work here - it's quite unusual and of high quality. It takes not only time to create such community but also a real passion for what you do. It's great to be part of such comunity, and this as well gives very unusual opportunity to learn english.

All Genesis is filled with knowledge, books and a lot of good work, so even if you don't feel like really playin the game you can spend hours venturing in the libraries (and sometmes you need to spend months to get to some in-game libraries).

And Moderators, all the Wizards are great - you have such open and welcoming attitude towards players, you share your opinions, you care about the game and the players. You can't find it anywhere, it's a great advantage of Genesis, as Wizards are the most important players (and creators) of the game.

Even though there lacks hands to work, something is always going on. Polls, changes, guilds are being updated, the progress is shared with players. And events that is something very amusing, and I'm sure it will be for Polish players.

There are literally tons of reasons to play genesis, I could write a book about it :)

B.

(sorry for mistakes)
Evil to him who evil thinks.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 21 Feb 2013 08:06

Zhar. Great idea!

Of the people I have shown Genesis... half plays it for awhile, the other half tries it once or twice.. and there is a scrap of those who play for awhile who becomes permanent players.

Those who play for awhile and in particular those who become permanent players tend to do so because of having friends or likeminded individuals that start around the same time.

It seems to me your convention idea has the perfect setup for a few players that either remain for awhile or become permanent players.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 21 Feb 2013 21:34

The problem with Polish players is the language barrier. Not many hardcore RPG players are fluent in English and it is far easier to roleplay in your native tongue.
Having played Arkadia for a couple of years I must admit that the level of roleplay on Arkadia was superior to that of Genesis. Mainly because of the language.

Ofcourse they can play an Angmarian running around, waving his big club screaming angmar!angmar!angmar! ;)

Also, Arkadia evolved throughout the years. In the beginning it had the same mechanics as genesis, but the wizards there are quite creative and innovative and introduced new solutions to leveling, questing, traps, guilds like Zhar mentioned. But the reason I quit playing was that the wizards were full of themselves, arrogant, didn't respect players at all and I just stopped caring. Just the same as genesis' wizards a couple of years ago, but fortunately that changed mostly thanks to Gorboth I think.

So advertising on polish fantasy conventions might not be very fruitful, but it's worth a try.

When I asked retired polish genesis players whether they could post genesis posters on their former universities they replied that they don't want to advertise something that ruined their lives...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Feb 2013 01:24

Rincon wrote: When I asked retired polish genesis players whether they could post genesis posters on their former universities they replied that they don't want to advertise something that ruined their lives...
Does this mean we hit the WoW level of addiction?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 06 Mar 2013 16:37

That sounds like a good slogan:
"Warning: this game will ruin your life"

:)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 06 Mar 2013 17:54

Recoba wrote:That sounds like a good slogan:
"Warning: this game will ruin your life"

:)
For the lazy there's a great documentary about that titled Second Skin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPOxuOCGi9I

For the less lazy and more scientifically inclined there are some great books on the subject too:

Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games by Edward Castronova (which the documentary is based upon)

Coming of Age in Second Life: An Anthropologist Explores the Virtually Human by Tom Boellstorff

And many more. I can give you more references if you want as I used to do research on online games, communities and e-sport back at the university.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 18 Jan 2014 04:43

I would like to float the idea of promoting Genesis at Dragon Con (August 29th - September 1st in Atlanta, Georgia, USA). Apparently it's one of the largest sci-fi / fantasy / comic / anime conventions in the world. http://www.dragoncon.org/

They are starting to take fan table applications, with the applications OPENING February 15th. If there are enough Americans in the area that want to go and promote with me, we could make a plan. The tables are free, but it's $85 per person for convention memberships with early registration by Feb 15th and the price goes up later. Each person manning the table must be a "member", which also grants access to the convention. Anyone interested???

(edited for application and membership dates)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/