Convention potential

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Convention potential

Post by Cherek » 20 Feb 2013 01:36

Cool poster. Sounds like a great idea Zhar.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Feb 2013 05:31

*like*

*like*

*love!*

Go go go.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Feb 2013 08:49

Why would any "mud-new" polish gamer choose Gen instead of Arka anyway?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 20 Feb 2013 09:18

Laurel wrote:Why would any "mud-new" polish gamer choose Gen instead of Arka anyway?
I was thinking more in terms of acquiring people who haven't got a clue that such a thing as MUDs even exist. They probably wouldn't know about Arkadia anyway so getting them first might be a good idea. Also, I've switched from Arkadia to Genesis in the past, maybe others would do so too?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Feb 2013 09:21

Laurel wrote:Why would any "mud-new" polish gamer choose Gen instead of Arka anyway?
Strange question asked by one polish Genesis player to another?:)

Considering how many polish players Genesis has and have had, apparently some do choose Genesis? And who said they have to be completely new to muds? Maybe we can lure some old Arkadia players over?

And why? Because Genesis is the better game, thats why.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 20 Feb 2013 09:25

Well, Arkadia still boasts more players than Genesis I think. But it doesn't have great tutorial being a minigame in itself, which would allow for tournaments for new people at conventions :)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Feb 2013 10:17

Cherek wrote:
Strange question asked by one polish Genesis player to another?:)
Not rly strange. No.
Cherek wrote:Considering how many polish players Genesis has and have had, apparently some do choose Genesis? And who said they have to be completely new to muds? Maybe we can lure some old Arkadia players over?
How many are those? Irk, Morg, me or the baddies (Phantom included) don't play Arka nor did for the last years.
Logg did, don't know if he still does. Targun the same.
Genesis has 6-9 active polish "players" with a few more "chars". (For the record - I did not include Targun or Zhar into the active category.) Is that "many", especially of that "lured" category?
Cherek wrote:And why? Because Genesis is the better game, thats why.
I wouldn't know - I lack the material for such a comparison.

You fail to see three major aspects:
1. language issues
2. Sapkowski beats LotR/Hobbit & DL & FR in Poland in terms of popularity
3. local patriotism

On a more topic-related note:

Please go for the inserts, Cooper ... errr Gorb! I would expect them to require some form of payment to be inserted tho. Don't know for sure.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Feb 2013 12:16

I think Poland is big enough to have a few potentially interested players, and you probably have fans of Tolkien, Dragonlance, etc there as well as here even if you have other popular local talents. There is certainly no harm in giving it a shot. There arent that many players around at all from any region currently, but Polish players used to be a big part of the community. Maybe even third after Sweden and US? I cant see why that could not happen again.

I dont know if Genesis is better than Arkadia, I never tried anything else really. As with anything it would probably depend who you ask. But if you're going to sell Genesis to someone it's probably best to have the approach that you're selling a great product. Dont focus on what another game has that we dont, focus on what we have that they dont.

But maybe we can learn from them... any idea what they do to keep a fairly large playerbase? Or is it just that they are the only real alternaitve if you wanna play something that's in polish not english?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 20 Feb 2013 14:47

Cherek wrote: But maybe we can learn from them... any idea what they do to keep a fairly large playerbase? Or is it just that they are the only real alternaitve if you wanna play something that's in polish not english?
1. Theme: Sapkowski is big in Poland and now I guess he's starting to gain popularity worldwide thanks to The Witcher game series. Another big thing there is Warhammer, which has always been big.

2. Game mechanics: They have made some truly hardcore changes to the basic game mechanics, especially how guilds and specials function. Guilds don't really offer skills, you get that from jobs (hunter, assassin etc.) - job positions are acquired by guilds - it is a serious undertaking, sometimes requiring the cooperation of several guilds, to unlock a job position for one guildmember (it has to be repeated for each member I think). Overall, they moved towards more roleplay with guilds giving you primarily background, not a certain set of skills (guilds can get various jobs within one guild, according to their needs). From what I hear/read they also have pretty advanced language system with different dialects, ability to learn foreign languages etc. And so on and on.

To give you more details I'd have to speak with one of my friends who's still actively involved there (although I'd rather not because she won't ever stop talking if I raise this topic).

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 20 Feb 2013 15:02

I am out snowboarding this weekend tho.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/