Reddit post

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Hektor
Veteran

Re: Reddit post

Post by Hektor » 18 Sep 2013 10:24

All things said and done - we will always attract players who are not used to our style and approach. Some we can groom and introduce to our style and approach. Some will adapt to our approach / culture, some will not and thus become funny individuals (sometimes with funny names too) in our community or they will not adapt at all and leave.

Generally speaking I would always prefer a new active player with a silly name over someone old and inactive player with a cool and innovative name (like Hektor (which is not at all cool or even made-up but a horrible rip-off stereotype name)).

A good solution could be addressing names as part of the last step of the tutorial - have the player frozen - ask them - is this the name you really want in a medieval fantasy setting? and make them aware that names do matter and there is no turning back from a poorly chosen name ever.
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 18 Sep 2013 11:30

May I also suggest allowing the player to change his race AFTER reading the tutorial on races provided in Tutori Island? I can imagine someone thinking "cool, I can roleplay an elf", and then, halfway through the tutorial, reading the note on the race differences in the room where all the statues are, and thinking, oh god... I should've chosen something else.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 18 Sep 2013 14:25

"Do you really want to pretend you are a Ranger with the name of a Minas Morgul commander, Gothmog?"
"Do you really think you can intimidate someone as a bad, stinky Nazgul, Fluffy?"
"Gems and herbs ... can you not be more creative than that, Garnet/Laurel/Peridot/Alfirin/etc.?"
"Now, hold on - a big badass fighter and you want this name, Ant?"
"Did you actually read that this game is not Vampire, Brujah?"
"Go drink it, instead of typing it, Budwise ..."
"Birds ... you want to be a bird, Hawk/Crow?"

etc. etc.
Icarus, Hektor, Dionysos, Xena, Nikiel, Manowar, Earth ...

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 18 Sep 2013 16:50

I'm making a new thread on name meanings. I think it'll be interesting

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 18 Sep 2013 16:50

I'm making a new thread on name meanings. I think it'll be interesting

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 20 Sep 2013 00:57

LOL i was soo there for the Noobish spam. We had a most obnoxious/memorable name thread a while back I was on it as Snowrose. which when i made my name at age 17 that was what I had thought a fantasy name was. Works for my little pony and princess names right? (i also discussed this more in depth in the name origin post). but Genesis has always been known for its wildly inappropriate names be it accidental or on purpose. Mechwarroir, Prokop(Pro-cop), Fluffy feared morgul mage,

Plants and gems are kinda acceptable particularly plants for elves/rangers and gems for female dwarves. i imagine generic names might be ok for a human (Bob, Edward) also hobbits often have descriptive or earthy names that may seem silly to other races names like Merry, bilbo are examples from the books.

Obviously rp leetist believe you should avoid direct name rips from books like a hobbit named frodo or a vampire named vlad is bad. especially since in 10 years you might not be where you thought you'd be. ie strider is not a ranger(to my knowlege). and vampires no longer exist as a guild.

Back to the original point I don't think a forced change is needed unless the name is really offencive. but it may be nice to have a name change/adjective change option for a fee (100 plat) with a book logging the name changes and maybe a line in the desc (Used to be or Also known as <OldName> ) maybe even have a keep old name as nickname option so if say I change my name to lossmeril and people type "Last snowrose" they still get me.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 24 Sep 2013 18:57

so everybody run ... Sysadmin logged in!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Sep 2013 08:36

and please also welcome *drrrrrums* Dumbtnt!!!

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 26 Sep 2013 09:03

Laurel wrote:and please also welcome *drrrrrums* Dumbtnt!!!
Oh my god... We are missing "NumbNuts" or something like that.

At least he would make a good tank :-D

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Sep 2013 09:20

I am actually looking for people like Leetpwnzor or Yourmom ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/