New Player Experience

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mercade
Wizard

Re: New Player Experience

Post by Mercade » 09 Feb 2015 20:31

Jooli wrote:How do you become a newbie helper anyways?
Explore realms. Find common board. Examine welcome poster. Add yourself to the list of helpers.

Jooli
Adept

Post by Jooli » 10 Feb 2015 09:53

Thanks Mercade :-)

I've actually search Sparkle for this information before, without thinking of reading that poster.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 11 Feb 2015 11:40

<Newbie> Verge: I am not able to do any quests because I am not high enough to
do any of them but I feel like I spend hours on this game. What do I do wrong?

after minute-two he was out.

Soooo, you are still against publishing quest walkthroughs for ALL players? (all of the olders have/used it - 100%)

it is not 1995 where there is no alternative in online gaming. Who want to play a game in current times where you make progress so slowly even when playing for some much time?

To be honest I have met two newbies who did not wanted me to send them solutions, but they did not made a impression that they are 'true' newbies (the way they acted etc). Still no one will make people use the published walkthroughs - but giving a choice is always good.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 11 Feb 2015 12:40

you can always direct people to the quest orb wiki off the web page
its not a "walkthrough" but they have complete maps and really good hints for a lot of quests.
as well as alignments and what skills are recomended and tricky syntax hints

if you think the hints are insufficent you can add more.

There are a few newbies that blew off newbieland and sparkle quests
then complained they were to small for anything. but when i questioned
them they addmitted they could kill grunts they just found it to easy. they didnt "want" to do sparkle quests cause they were dull
and everything else was to hard.

on other cases people were trying to do everything in calia cause thats where the newbie school was or sparkle cause thats where they start. and killing krougs was to hard. people ive spoken with who found gont, cadu, shire/piligir and solace early on seem to progress much smoother.

modern games often move you from zone to zone as you level completing all quests in a zone then moving on. they are just not used to jumping to 5 different zones seemingly at random to get quests. the merc quest frusterates people cause they dont have acrobatics. (it should be taught in sparkle of faerie)

so we just have to get newbies to access the forums/wiki and other tools available to them. and not just give them the answers. they are never going to figure out how to read the clues if its all given to them free.

but it would be nice if there was some way a newbie could tell if they are in an aggro area way to high for them before they get randomly attacked. maybe let them use the newbie badge to alert them to danger or something, maybe a "nconsider" command they can use on foes to level and alignment check them untill they get a good feel for where they can be safly. and get appraise enemy/compare stats with figured out.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 11 Feb 2015 13:11

I don't want to tell people how to play, I just want give them the choice (which is available for all older players that have access to the quest files).

Why you want to tell people how to play?

Questing is similar to adventure games:

1 -some people play whole game with walkthrough
2 - some only use them when they are struck
3 - some like to play on their own

None of these options can be considered as good/bad. Some people are satysfied when they solve all the puzzles in one game by themselves. Other enjoy to go fast through 3-4 games in the same time.

Why we shouldn't let the first option be available for new people (when it was/is available for you?)

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 11 Feb 2015 13:21

im not telling anyone how to play just telling people about the tools the web page promotes
if people want walkthroughs they can always get them via in game friends or googling like people did it back in 94
stuff is easier to find now than it was then. Im just not gonna tell people about info pages not endorced by the game
when i can point them at forums and wiki. as the forums and wiki have more accurate data.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 11 Feb 2015 13:30

back in 94 there were not many alternative options in terms of online gaming. True newbies usually do not have friends that can give it to them straight away - and if they get annoyed the might just quit and look for different game from 125124125325634 titles available to play online nowadays. I have checked google andfound only this:
http://www.geocities.ws/genesisfiles/Quests.txt - it is not the most up to date file and some people can have problem with proper phrase to get it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Feb 2015 15:00

Kvator wrote:back in 94 there were not many alternative options in terms of online gaming. True newbies usually do not have friends that can give it to them straight away - and if they get annoyed the might just quit and look for different game from 125124125325634 titles available to play online nowadays. I have checked google andfound only this:
http://www.geocities.ws/genesisfiles/Quests.txt - it is not the most up to date file and some people can have problem with proper phrase to get it.
Does other games really provide complete walkthroughs in-game or on their official sites? Or are those sites made by users?

I dont play MMORPGs myself so I dont know.

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 11 Feb 2015 15:34

I do not play them neither, but I believe someone here mentioned something about mud, where quest solutions are available on the official site.

Remember also, that making quests is basically must-do on Genesis (it is not an option). If it is decided that quests are must, let's at least help the new people with giving them choice (1 - use complete walkthrough, 2 - use hints 3 - do it all yourself) - easy to access as well.
Ohh and I am against removing qexp from the game - even with walkthroughs quests are great learning tool for new players. There should be option to pass qexp onto registered alts though (so a person have to go through this only once)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 11 Feb 2015 18:49

Cherek wrote:
Kvator wrote:back in 94 there were not many alternative options in terms of online gaming. True newbies usually do not have friends that can give it to them straight away - and if they get annoyed the might just quit and look for different game from 125124125325634 titles available to play online nowadays. I have checked google andfound only this:
Does other games really provide complete walkthroughs in-game or on their official sites? Or are those sites made by users?

I dont play MMORPGs myself so I dont know.
any that has a Wiki - on their wiki
any that has a player-run site - on those sites
any big MMO - IN GAME - with way pointers, map hints, glowing shit hitting your eyeballs, etc.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/