New Player Experience

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mortis

Re: New Player Experience

Post by Mortis » 30 Jan 2015 14:40

Pretty incredible!

Avarel
Apprentice

Post by Avarel » 31 Jan 2015 04:55

I have found the most asked questions revolve around why equipment doesn't save when the newbie quits. I reviewed the tutorial signs, and found the answer there, in part on one sign and in part on another, buried on both in a wall of text. It seems obvious that a large number of newbies aren't aware that this question is even being answered.

I like the idea of a scroll (good idea Draugor, thank you) that is given to the new player when they first enter the game. The scroll should contain a brief rundown of the three or four most frequently asked questions, aside from the things Draugor mentioned (Cadets/Academics location, money making at low level, newbie grind areas).

From a programming point of view, this would, I think, be easiest to do, all in one place. The scroll could then be easily modified as new problem areas crop up on newbie understanding.

I would be quite willing to help write the scroll (in part, at least). PM me if any Wiz is interested in this.

I'm posting this here, instead of in the forum in which Draugor mentioned the scroll, so as not to hijack that topic.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel,
silivren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 31 Jan 2015 11:51

would be nice if on newbieline there was some indication of (New) (helper) (2nd)
when chatting on the chanal maybe as a preference. Ive seen a few instances of a question then somone else going I dont know im new also.

as far as 2nd/alt goes thed have to have the character registered as an alt for that to show)
but also this way true newbies can better note down names of people they can mail in a pinch.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 31 Jan 2015 12:29

Snowrose wrote:would be nice if on newbieline there was some indication of (New) (helper) (2nd)
when chatting on the chanal maybe as a preference. Ive seen a few instances of a question then somone else going I dont know im new also.

as far as 2nd/alt goes thed have to have the character registered as an alt for that to show)
but also this way true newbies can better note down names of people they can mail in a pinch.
I think you're right, show who's a Helper when they make a comment. I don't think it's worthwhile to show if someone's a second/alt. I don't know too many who've made alts/seconds that want anyone to know they're seconds.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 31 Jan 2015 15:13

The newbie pin now indicates a "(+)" next to your name if you're a helper. Takes effect after logging in and out.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 01 Feb 2015 00:53

wow that was fast. the second thing would have to be a set preference for people who specifically made alts to help in newbieland. not just a declaration that the person has multiple characters.

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 03 Feb 2015 15:10

There should be some kind of code of conduct, if youre not a true newbie, please try to not "roleplay" one and waste tons of time of those helpers, they're putting in a huge effort, and each question they have to answer takes a slight inch of their total energy towards helping.

So: if you're an alt, acting newbie, try to do so without costing too much energy on the non-alts, so the real newbies can get the energy instead.

It's still a great idea to make alts and help the newbies and give them the experience of discovery, so its not directed towards other small players, just directed to those putting in a huge effort.

I've noticed 5-7 names being extremely friendly and helpful and i'll probably put up a praise note there :) its fantastic the effort you people put in !!
Not to forget the implementation speed of the wizards on changing stuff to make the experience for the newcomers better! great job!

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 04 Feb 2015 02:55

I do agree about the wasting time factor. Its ok to make a joke or do a little socialness to make new players feel comfy but I try to keep heavy rp and recruiting to a minimum other than giving newbieschool (cadet/academic) info directions.

ive specifically told somone who had ranger questions that id handle it over mail.
just to minimize newbline derailment. cause if I start talking rangers the other guilds will chime in
ect...

Ive been grtting a lot of new members ask things like:
What does location sence do?
Is animal handling important?
Hunting? Can we hunt in this game?

it would be nice on the guide page if there
was a list of skills, description of what they do
if they are needed only for quests
if they are only useful to certian guilds
ect...

Jooli
Adept

Post by Jooli » 09 Feb 2015 17:25

How do you become a newbie helper anyways?

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 09 Feb 2015 19:04

Snowrose wrote: it would be nice on the guide page if there
was a list of skills, description of what they do
if they are needed only for quests
if they are only useful to certian guilds
ect...
Perhaps, there could be a message that would appear every 2 minutes or so with some helpful hints for a new person.
Example:
<skills> show you what you are proficient at
Try <help team> to see how you can do stuff together with others
Try <help say> to see how you can communicate with another player in te same room

I am sure there are questions asked very frequently, which could be put to such hints.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/