New Player Experience

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: New Player Experience

Post by Kitriana » 26 Jan 2015 00:53

whats the rate of adoption in terms of players who hang around past the tutorial?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Jan 2015 10:42

Kitriana wrote:whats the rate of adoption in terms of players who hang around past the tutorial?
Most quit early of course, but that's to be expected, for any game, especially a text game. But some of the new characters are reaching a pretty impressive ages so it's obvious some do enjoy the game.

The tutorial is by no means easy. Especially not for someone new to text games. By yesterday night I do not think anyone had finished it, but some where getting close. People where working on the last parts of the vampire quest, and collecting the last set of signs for their journals. I'll try to check tonight if someone's made it out in the real world.

Either way it's a really good learning experience for us wizards too, we see what new players do, how they act, what they understand and what they dont understand. We've made a few changes here and there based on the information we've gotten, now when we know more about their reactions. But there's much more that could be done. Getting them to start the vampire quest earlier would probably be a good idea, as it seems like most who find that stick around longer than those who just wander around without knowing what to do...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Jan 2015 10:44

Snowrose wrote:one has to wonder what happened yesterday. also could be cool to note new names when it dpikes like that and monitor how many stay around after the spike day.
What happened is that our rank on Google Chrome store suddenly became higher than before, meaning more people noticed us. How long it will last is hard to say, those ranks go up and down a lot, and nobody really knows exactly how and why. But high number of users and high ratings are things that help. So, if you haven't already, please go to our Google Chrome app and give it a good review / rating!

Click here to rate us!
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fmaa?hl=en

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Jan 2015 17:32

Ok, I started logging who leaves the tutorial lands now, so from now on we'll have stats for that.

We do know for a fact that at least one of the newbies that started coming this friday finished the tutorial and entered Sparkle before I started logging. perhaps there's a few more who did. But from now on we'll know for sure.

The steady stream continues btw, and quite a few have completed several steps of the vampire quest!

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 27 Jan 2015 15:41

Newbie part:
- Delete characters more than 3 weeks old with less than x hours playtime. (names gets harder and harder to make, as the good ones are taken)
- Monitor exact Progress of what step of the newbie tutorial "breaks" people and makes them leave.
- Make the tutorial signs in 2 versions, they feel like "you got hit by a wall of text, *CRIT* YOU DIE
- Monitor pkills in newbieland, the newbies will much easier start griefing other newbies as they get bored, maybe with a divine shield that makes a newbie that was slain invulnerable to new assaults the NeXT 4 hours.

As these people starts progressing and stick around, we could use better ways to help the newbies that are worth helping.

Helper part:
- Make newbie helpers able to see total age of characters who Wears their newbie pin, to figure out WHICH newbie to Invest time in, with many hundred newbies a week, its important to be able to not Waste time on the newbies who probably are gone in 1-2 hours. Ofcourse thats hard to say from tutorial, but with data generated from newbieland, we'll be able to pinpoint more exact which people will be going to hang around, and which not (the more data you gather about them, the more precise a Tool can be made)
- Let experienced players with newbie pins able to rescue newbies while they're teaming.
- Let experienced players with newbie pins able to mute newbies from the ntell lines for x minutes/hours , closely log entries done by newbie + newbiehelper and remove this ability from untrustworthy newbiehelpers.
- Find a wizard that has lots of time on his hand that can monitor all the above, so we use our window of opportunity to expand genesis immensely, this is a rare opportunity that should be used!!

And thanks to those newbie helpers that are so overpatient that my ears were bleeding yesterday when i made a newbie to checkout the system, wow, you Guys are the best! its exactly that kind of help that WILL get a few ppl to stick around, keep that up!

-

Dan
Adventurer

Post by Dan » 27 Jan 2015 15:47

I forgot another important one:

Remove the newbies that are linkdead from the who list!! seeing 40 people with a * there is obnoxious, yet you want to see if your mortal foes are * so just newbies off that list when LD!

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 27 Jan 2015 16:45

Dan wrote:I forgot another important one:

Remove the newbies that are linkdead from the who list!! seeing 40 people with a * there is obnoxious, yet you want to see if your mortal foes are * so just newbies off that list when LD!
This would be a nice thing. Remove LD characters from who if age < X hours....
Flee you fools!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Jan 2015 18:27

Thanks for your ideas Dan. I agree about most of them, and we've made various changes already to things based on what we've learned form monitoring newbies. But there's much more that could be done, I have changed some of the signs, and reordered them, and I do agree there is a lot of text... those who do best get started on the quest fairly soon. So I think trying to get them involved in that sooner is a good thing.Signs can be read later when needed...

As for wizards with lots of time on their hands... I dont think that exists. It's mainly me and Cotillion who's had at least some time monitoring/tweaking newbieland, and we'll do what we can with the time we have. As always, anyone who wants to volunteer to help out with stuff is more than welcome. You dont really need to be a wizard either to help out. Create a newbie and hang around in newbieland, help them out, etc, is something anyone can do for example.

Or if you wanna help out somehow and have an idea about how/what you can do, let me know.

As for the who-list, not sure I agree about that. It would to me be very odd to remove people based on age, and I dont really see the issue with having them stick around either? "who i" shows everyone who's logged in and not LD, so what's the problem currently? Not sure I understand.

Emraht

Post by Emraht » 27 Jan 2015 21:47

Cherek wrote:
Snowrose wrote:one has to wonder what happened yesterday. also could be cool to note new names when it dpikes like that and monitor how many stay around after the spike day.
What happened is that our rank on Google Chrome store suddenly became higher than before, meaning more people noticed us. How long it will last is hard to say, those ranks go up and down a lot, and nobody really knows exactly how and why. But high number of users and high ratings are things that help. So, if you haven't already, please go to our Google Chrome app and give it a good review / rating!

Click here to rate us!
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fmaa?hl=en
I marked as spam the one person claiming we were boring and gave only one star thus removing his one star and restoring our full five stars.

Hail Melkor!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 30 Jan 2015 13:43

Kitriana asked me to share how many newbies have left the newbie area so far. The first large batch of newbies arrived last friday, I started logging who leaves on monday. Since then, 27 players have left the newbie area, and a large majority seem to be "true" newbies.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/