New Player Experience

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Icarus
Veteran

Re: New Player Experience

Post by Icarus » 12 Feb 2015 18:57

I admit it!

I've written questfiles with the "bad solution types" of "3n, 2w, get retard killing hammer, 2e, 3s, smack retard with retard killing hammer".

I got one file for each domain.
They all start with the complete orb-list of that domain.
I'm down to 2 or 3 without complete solutions, not counting newbiewille.
Among those are the Chess Challenge, which you can't really have a complete solution for, I guess.

And before you ask... No, you can't have a copy! They're all mine! :D
Flee you fools!

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 12 Feb 2015 20:05

What's primarily missing is a progression path. A new player has no idea where to go.
Even if you check out the orbs you're likely to die in 5 seconds in some areas.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 12 Feb 2015 20:16

cotillion wrote:What's primarily missing is a progression path. A new player has no idea where to go.
I kind of like that, they would have to listen to rumors, talk to other newbies and learn that way, it makes it an adventure. Sure, point them towards some good starting places but thats about it. But I also would like the "deathtraps" back. NPCs that can block 100% which means win or die etc. It should be exciting and you should feel a bit nervous exploring new areas and looking for that quest that was in Moria or Drakmere.

Death is part of the game and if we teach the new players not to fear it so much you will see a new generation that can take getting killed without complaints and that is more prepared to attack an enemy even if that enemy is bigger or has better eq.

But we don't want real newbies to start dying randomly. I guess that there could be a poster next to each orb recommending some good starting quests for players lower than wanderer or something and warning for some areas in that domain.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 12 Feb 2015 22:02

OgreToyBoy wrote:
Arcon wrote:....btw kvator, I have not done all the quests and I will never be able to reach the qxp cap, I have been punished for using quest solutions and I did loose a bunch of qxp for it.
Sounds awful, wonder if more have been punished like this. Actually this seems retarded, should be some way to have these things checked and give back all questxp that was taken. To punish someone for using/sharing/Writing quest solutions is plain wrong.
It is the single most important xp as it can't be replaced, depending on the amount you can force a person into stop playing.

Now to have reached questxp cap doesn't automatically mean you get big, but it helps a bit. The rough part is to aquire all that combatxp.
I removed the ban on sharing quest info when I became AoP. Before then, it was common for people to be punished for breaking that rule, and they were punished differently by different wizards. It is going to need to be considered water under the bridge now, a decade later.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Icarus
Veteran

Post by Icarus » 12 Feb 2015 22:17

gorboth wrote:
OgreToyBoy wrote:
Arcon wrote:....btw kvator, I have not done all the quests and I will never be able to reach the qxp cap, I have been punished for using quest solutions and I did loose a bunch of qxp for it.
Sounds awful, wonder if more have been punished like this. Actually this seems retarded, should be some way to have these things checked and give back all questxp that was taken. To punish someone for using/sharing/Writing quest solutions is plain wrong.
It is the single most important xp as it can't be replaced, depending on the amount you can force a person into stop playing.

Now to have reached questxp cap doesn't automatically mean you get big, but it helps a bit. The rough part is to aquire all that combatxp.
I removed the ban on sharing quest info when I became AoP. Before then, it was common for people to be punished for breaking that rule, and they were punished differently by different wizards. It is going to need to be considered water under the bridge now, a decade later.

G.
How about sales? :P
Flee you fools!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Feb 2015 01:52

cotillion wrote:What's primarily missing is a progression path. A new player has no idea where to go.
Yup, we'd really need to figure something out there. It's a very common question on the ntell as well.

Of course we could add the info on the webpage, or a sticky on the forum, but it's not really a very "clean" solution.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 13 Feb 2015 06:42

Cherek wrote:
Yup, we'd really need to figure something out there. It's a very common question on the ntell as well.

Of course we could add the info on the webpage, or a sticky on the forum, but it's not really a very "clean" solution.

Perhaps a note could materialize in their inventory with good newbie quests anre where to obtain them?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Feb 2015 13:34

Draugor wrote:
Cherek wrote:

Perhaps a note could materialize in their inventory with good newbie quests anre where to obtain them?
If I am not completely mistaken both Carlsan and Menerial(spelling?), the newbie quest masters in Sparkle and Faerie, suggests other good quest masters for smaller players when you're done with their quests.

But we could probably do better both in that and in guiding people to good grinding spots for smaller players. There's not many around though, and both Kobolds and the small orc camp in Shire isnt too easy to find. At least not the orc camp.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 13 Feb 2015 13:40

Also orcs and kobolds spots good for skulls, need more :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Feb 2015 15:12

OgreToyBoy wrote:Also orcs and kobolds spots good for skulls, need more :)
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. We should definitely make those areas newbie only.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/