Video series on youtube

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: Video series on youtube

Post by Kitriana » 22 Apr 2015 16:42

Cherek wrote:
gorboth wrote:Kitriana did this at one point, I think?

G.
Really? It's on youtube or was it never published?
I offered to do it... but no one ever helped me create a script for it.
Happy to still do it if someone can write a script of what I should say.. and write a script for the action on the screen.
As Its too difficult to play and talk at the same time.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Apr 2015 16:52

What about if Aristos does the screen-recording thing and a temporary VO, and then Kitriana uses her smooth native english voice for the "real" voice over? Sounds like a perfect match to me!

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 22 Apr 2015 17:03

My thought at the time was to do an intro video of walking someone through the character creation process... as the first video
and then some of the other activities in newbie land as further installments.
Maybe have one installment with some RP involved?

You can't make the video too long or you'll lose people's attention.
And I found that you have to pace the action quite a bit so people could follow with the little bit I did try.
Plus you want to add some interesting bits of info as you go... that you'd not get otherwise.

Maybe add some "Bubbles" on the screen with hints?

Again... need some kind of a script of what to say ... that doesn't sound too stiff.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 22 Apr 2015 18:18

We could start writing here a list of topics that could be covered both in words and action. The bits of useful info we could say while we actually play the game (the repetitive parts) would be things like: char interaction, roleplay, races, char development, history, methods of communication (we could show how to use the newbie line, send mail, but hint at many other ways of communication available once you join the game), etc.

The idea would be to get people psyched about the game with the tutorial so that they're curious about actually going through it and joining the actual world awaiting them.

A good idea as well would be to show how repetitive tasks of, for example, herbing, can be partially automated using triggers and quicktyping commands. In a manner of:

"So now we have to go find this herb that this guy told us (side note: herbs are really useful throughout the game. You'll find many places where you can gather them, sell them, or identify them. Each one has a different use, etc). Now, searching here for herbs can become quite repetitive if we type it all in each time, so how about we make an alias first to search and then a trigger to search again in case we found one, stopping when we find no more?"

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 22 Apr 2015 18:27

Cherek wrote:What about if Aristos does the screen-recording thing and a temporary VO, and then Kitriana uses her smooth native english voice for the "real" voice over? Sounds like a perfect match to me!
Wonderful. I can do it without a problem just using the quicktime screen recorder on osx, then she can comment on everything the video shows while adding bits of her own knowledge and what anyone else posts. I can go through the process, record it, and upload it on dropbox on a share folder for everyone tot see and comment.

We could say.

1. Website (Game history, type of game, lore, etc)
2. Char creation (creating your char, races, future jobs, roleplay according to race, basic commands)
3. Moving around (basic aliases, examining rooms and items, interacting with NPCs, inventory, etc)
4. Combat! (attacking, basic aliases and triggers again, gathering loot, selling them, concept of shops, armours, weapons, and skills)
5. Our first quest (getting the quest, preparing for it, examining again, completion, learning from quests, rewards, difference between qexp and cexp)
6. Interaction (communicating in person, via mail, newbie line, messengers, how to interact with players, etc)

That's six videos of maybe 6-10 minutes each.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 22 Apr 2015 19:26

Alright, after deleting a few posts that were detrimental to the topic, and having to do so again, and ... again ... I'll again request:

Let's just focus seriously on this very good and helpful topic, please.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/