New England Withcraft and Wizarding School Ad

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amorana
Rising Hero

New England Withcraft and Wizarding School Ad

Post by Amorana » 09 Jun 2016 22:40

There is, what amounts to, a Harry Potter convention happening in parts in Massachusetts this Summer and Fall.

In the summer, there will be a "Finegan's Faire" that is themed as a giant marketplace to come and shop wares from various vendors. They are handing out a brochure of adverts to people at the Faire, so I took it upon myself to get us an ad there. I'm hopeful we see some new players come out of it (especially some more East Coast US folks... I need more friends! :-D) I thought such a convention of people clearly into the Fantasy genre would perhaps be a good target.

I'll keep an eye out to see if they do a similar advertisement for the "School Days" event later in the fall (yes! they're actually holding wizarding classes!) If they do, I'll consider sponsoring another ad based on how successful this one was.

Much thanks and praise to Cherek who helped design the promotional ad that was used: https://www.genesismud.org/assets/downl ... 600dpi.png

In case anyone wants to see the site for the Faire (which, we are linked on as a Sponsor), it is here: http://www.newizardschool.com/market-days.html
Zhar wrote: "Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: New England Withcraft and Wizarding School Ad

Post by Cherek » 10 Jun 2016 02:05

Awesome!

Everyone else: Do like Amorana! Spread the word. The new flyers, and our other posters and stuff can be found here: https://genesismud.org/promotion.html

Just download, print and post them everywhere.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 10 Jun 2016 03:09

Oh. Never noticed those before. I'll put some up at my school. :)

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 10 Jun 2016 03:11

Is there currently any system in place to reward people who recruit others?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 10 Jun 2016 14:45

Ody: Great!

Melarec: Yes! You're awarded with more players to play with and the nice feeling of knowing you've contributed to expanding the game.

OK, I understand what you mean, and no, we don't really have such a system. I once planned a sort of promotion event where people would be rewarded points based on different promotional tasks, but it never got further than the planning stage. As always we're open for suggestions on how such a system could work.

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 10 Jun 2016 19:01

Add something to the Character Creation bit, for starters.. I know there's a related question in the tutorial Survey/Test bit on the hill, but it's easy to miss it, first time.
Something like:

Code: Select all

Do you already have an account? [y]es or [n]o?
And then give the option to add the new character as a second if "Yes."
If "No," ask:

Were you invited by another player? [y]es or [n]o?
If "yes,"

Please type their in-game name:
If "no," then the "Welcome to Genesis,, Open your eyes and see Lars" bit.
Obviously, this could be abused, but anyone caught could/would/should be punished the same way as a double-logger.

As for the rewards, a "scoreboard" type database could be kept for characters, counting the number of players they've recruited. Each recruit could award a gem that arrives in the mail.

You have a package waiting at the post office!
Perhaps small gems worth a couple gold? Then have a milestone system that awards different gems based on how many recruits they have accumulated.

Rewards:
Tier        Gems              Value             # of recruits
  1     Small Quartz         1 Gold             < 3 recruited
  2     Large Quartz         5 Gold             < 5 recruited
  3     Small Ruby          10 Gold            < 10 recruited
  4     Small Emerald        2 Plat            < 15 recruited
  5     Large Ruby           5 Plat            < 20 recruited
  6     Large Emerald       10 Plat            < 25 recruited
  7     Small Diamond       20 Plat            < 30 recruited
  8     Large Diamond      100 Plat            + 40 recruited
Or something along those lines.
Could even give the rewards to each character a player has.. Like the same "scoreboard" applies to the main character and each second. It wouldn't make sense to have to reach the tier 8 gems twice.. (or more)

PS; Cherek, yes, I know what you're going to say: "Wiz and make it happen!" But it's good to write down thoughts and get feedback from others. After all, something that affects the game so severely needs at least majority approval..

Emmiline Calaith
Adventurer

Post by Emmiline Calaith » 11 Jun 2016 03:23

I like that idea a lot. This idea won't just benefit a certain group of players, it will also allow newbies (who don't have nearly as much access to gems while hunting nor questing) to get into it and have a chance to earn them in their own way, by getting their friends and maybe even their family to join and give it a try! (:
There are three types of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Jun 2016 12:36

As with most your ideas Melarec, this sounds like a good one too. If only we had someone to code it... *nudge*

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 11 Jun 2016 18:45

Cherek wrote:As with most your ideas Melarec, this sounds like a good one too. If only we had someone to code it... *nudge*
I'm just finishing up my college classes today and tomorrow and only have one course (Oceanography, yay!) planned for next quarter..
I may be able to apply to be a Wizard in the near future!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Jun 2016 21:47

Melarec wrote:
Cherek wrote:As with most your ideas Melarec, this sounds like a good one too. If only we had someone to code it... *nudge*
I'm just finishing up my college classes today and tomorrow and only have one course (Oceanography, yay!) planned for next quarter..
I may be able to apply to be a Wizard in the near future!
That's the spirit. And oceanography is easy. We have only three oceans, know those, and you'll be fine right?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/