Steam

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Greneth
Wizard

Steam

Post by Greneth » 07 Jun 2018 16:05

So I was browsing around on Steam this morning and I happened to come across one of those choose your own path stories and it got me thinking. Why not add Genesis to the Steam Library? It's extra passive traffic like the Chrome Store, which we all saw how good that has been doing for the game.

The only possible snag I can see is that I believe it requires a downloadable client, though I could find no documentation of this just what I saw browsing around. Would it be possible to make the Webclient into a downloadable client and would putting Genesis on Steam be an idea worth looking into?

sylphan
Veteran

Re: Steam

Post by sylphan » 07 Jun 2018 18:11

Greneth wrote:So I was browsing around on Steam this morning and I happened to come across one of those choose your own path stories and it got me thinking. Why not add Genesis to the Steam Library? It's extra passive traffic like the Chrome Store, which we all saw how good that has been doing for the game.

The only possible snag I can see is that I believe it requires a downloadable client, though I could find no documentation of this just what I saw browsing around. Would it be possible to make the Webclient into a downloadable client and would putting Genesis on Steam be an idea worth looking into?
Does the client have to be proprietary to the game itself? Mudlet is pretty great.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 07 Jun 2018 20:45

sylphan wrote:
Greneth wrote:So I was browsing around on Steam this morning and I happened to come across one of those choose your own path stories and it got me thinking. Why not add Genesis to the Steam Library? It's extra passive traffic like the Chrome Store, which we all saw how good that has been doing for the game.

Does the client have to be proprietary to the game itself? Mudlet is pretty great.
I'm not exactly sure that's what I was trying to find out when doing a bit of researching, but I couldn't find any documentation that specifically states anything. It might be in the process when you sign up. Just by looking at other games on the market though each has it's own client that they own. My guess would be no since we don't own Mudlet and to do things like add Steam Achievements etc you would need admin access.

Shanoga
Wizard

Post by Shanoga » 07 Jun 2018 22:10

Pretty sure there needs to be some sort of client, at least.

One example of a game that can be entirely web-based but also has a Steam client is Clicker Heroes. There is a web-based version that is all in-client, a mobile app (through the App Store or Play Store), and a Steam app as well. I haven't played it in a couple of years, but at that time the accounts were all separate and the different clients had different versions from the developer. I have NO IDEA how the app/program development side of something like this would work, although I would expect that the Steam client could probably mimic the webclient fairly well, and use some of the code - but would require quite a bit of work to get set up.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 07 Jun 2018 22:55

I did a steamspy using the text-based tag and most are just choose your own story and some random ones that I'm not sure why they even have the text tag but I did find one called Sanctuary which is an actual text-based game.

https://steamspy.com/tag/Text-Based

100,000 - 200,000 owners.

There really isn't a whole lot of competition which is great, even if we were able to pull a fraction of that in it would be a plus, just some more food for thought.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/