PC Gamer

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kitriana
Champion

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Kitriana » 11 Jul 2018 14:02

I'm getting very excited!! :) :D :D :D :D
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Jul 2018 16:13

Draugor wrote:103 players online when I went to bed :S Its like a flashback to -00 or something, can we even accomodate that with the for some reason required quests without everyone having to wait for hours to have em reset? :P
The newbie area can accomodate for it thanks to instancing. But I guess if hundreds of people try to quest I'm the real game at the same time it will be an issue. But trying to find something to grind will probabaly be even harder, so.... we'll just have to remove grinding from the game!:)

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 11 Jul 2018 17:26

Cherek wrote:
Draugor wrote:103 players online when I went to bed :S Its like a flashback to -00 or something, can we even accomodate that with the for some reason required quests without everyone having to wait for hours to have em reset? :P
The newbie area can accomodate for it thanks to instancing. But I guess if hundreds of people try to quest I'm the real game at the same time it will be an issue. But trying to find something to grind will probabaly be even harder, so.... we'll just have to remove grinding from the game!:)
Oooor! Ooooooor! Remove the forced annoying quests and add more actual content that dont piss most players off :P
Last edited by Draugor on 11 Jul 2018 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 11 Jul 2018 18:18

Draugor wrote:
Cherek wrote:
Oooor! Ooooooor! Remove the forced annoying quests and add more actual contant that dont piss most players off :P

hear hear!
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 12 Jul 2018 10:06

I am gonna do a new grinding area with twice the Xp of GK, and each time you want to visit it you need to finish a Cadu-maze kind of quest first. Best of two worlds!:)

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 12 Jul 2018 11:31

Cherek wrote:I am gonna do a new grinding area with twice the Xp of GK, and each time you want to visit it you need to finish a Cadu-maze kind of quest first. Best of two worlds!:)

Well its a 50% good idea so thats improvement :P

Toferth
Wanderer

Post by Toferth » 12 Jul 2018 19:11

I'm ok with maze like quest ;)

Bim
Novice

Post by Bim » 12 Jul 2018 21:01

Hi All,
I'm one of the new joiners from the PC gamer articles. I, like many, had a foray into MUDs in the late 90s early 00s, and then again a few years ago (the discworld one in particular) but never came across Genesis at the time. To be honest, I tried it mostly out of spite due to the first PC Gamer article - I like PC gamer, but it annoys me no end when they post a 'I couldn't do it so this game is rubbish' article.

I'm really enjoying it, having a proper map and it being relatively straight forward in terms of no needlessly complicated systems is nice. Then when I read about all the different worlds I was truly wowed - I cannot WAIT to get to Gondor!

All that being said, I did nearly get put off a few times due to a few bits that got a bit frustrating. As a previous Mudder, I honestly understand (and agree with) the 'don't expect this to be WoW' mind set - it's why I chose to play a MUD. However, with so much choice of gaming these days, what would have been 'I'll work this out if it takes me all night' now turns into 'I'm getting frustrated, lets see whats on steam'. More than that, it seems that people on the forum wish it to have a wider reach, and for that I believe it needs to have some of the conveniences we have now.

For instance, having a 'loot' command that picks up everything from killed corpses would be great - I know you could alias it, but having it from the start with a sign that says 'once you've defeated enemies, type loot to pick everything up' would be common sense by today's standard. I know the equipment/inventory and logging off thing is something that's been debated a lot before, but I honestly think it's needlessly complicated and will really, really annoy a returning player if they've not jumped through the hoops and find all their stuff is gone. Regardless of what meta reasons there are, for the new player it's just 'logged in -> stuff I worked hard for gone -> quit'. More than that, for all the info, it might be better to have a few screens of 'enforced text' that come up - no reading signs, just 'FooBar the mad shouts at you 'LOOT CORPSES AFTER KILLING THEM BY TYPING 'loot'!'

Anyway, I can't wait to get more involved, and if anyone did want to hear more thoughts from someone who is both an olde Mudder and a newbie do let me know.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 13 Jul 2018 05:30

Bim wrote:Hi All,
I'm one of the new joiners from the PC gamer articles. I, like many, had a foray into MUDs in the late 90s early 00s, and then again a few years ago (the discworld one in particular) but never came across Genesis at the time. To be honest, I tried it mostly out of spite due to the first PC Gamer article - I like PC gamer, but it annoys me no end when they post a 'I couldn't do it so this game is rubbish' article.

I'm really enjoying it, having a proper map and it being relatively straight forward in terms of no needlessly complicated systems is nice. Then when I read about all the different worlds I was truly wowed - I cannot WAIT to get to Gondor!

All that being said, I did nearly get put off a few times due to a few bits that got a bit frustrating. As a previous Mudder, I honestly understand (and agree with) the 'don't expect this to be WoW' mind set - it's why I chose to play a MUD. However, with so much choice of gaming these days, what would have been 'I'll work this out if it takes me all night' now turns into 'I'm getting frustrated, lets see whats on steam'. More than that, it seems that people on the forum wish it to have a wider reach, and for that I believe it needs to have some of the conveniences we have now.

For instance, having a 'loot' command that picks up everything from killed corpses would be great - I know you could alias it, but having it from the start with a sign that says 'once you've defeated enemies, type loot to pick everything up' would be common sense by today's standard. I know the equipment/inventory and logging off thing is something that's been debated a lot before, but I honestly think it's needlessly complicated and will really, really annoy a returning player if they've not jumped through the hoops and find all their stuff is gone. Regardless of what meta reasons there are, for the new player it's just 'logged in -> stuff I worked hard for gone -> quit'. More than that, for all the info, it might be better to have a few screens of 'enforced text' that come up - no reading signs, just 'FooBar the mad shouts at you 'LOOT CORPSES AFTER KILLING THEM BY TYPING 'loot'!'

Anyway, I can't wait to get more involved, and if anyone did want to hear more thoughts from someone who is both an olde Mudder and a newbie do let me know.
Well "alias loot get all from corpse" then again I suppose the alias useage is alittle to swiftly explained...

I agree on the items for newbies, but there's a reason, big people can just make an alt and use as a personal rack. I'd propose that items that you quitted out with as such e soulbound untill arma for that person.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 13 Jul 2018 07:03

Cherek wrote:I am gonna do a new grinding area with twice the Xp of GK, and each time you want to visit it you need to finish a Cadu-maze kind of quest first. Best of two worlds!:)

I will actually come find you and slap you with a trout in true Monty Python style..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/