PC Gamer

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zugzug
Veteran
Posts: 233
Joined: 20 May 2017 15:25

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Zugzug » 13 Jul 2018 09:07

Bim wrote:Hi All,
I'm one of the new joiners from the PC gamer articles. I, like many, had a foray into MUDs in the late 90s early 00s, and then again a few years ago (the discworld one in particular) but never came across Genesis at the time. To be honest, I tried it mostly out of spite due to the first PC Gamer article - I like PC gamer, but it annoys me no end when they post a 'I couldn't do it so this game is rubbish' article.

I'm really enjoying it, having a proper map and it being relatively straight forward in terms of no needlessly complicated systems is nice. Then when I read about all the different worlds I was truly wowed - I cannot WAIT to get to Gondor!

All that being said, I did nearly get put off a few times due to a few bits that got a bit frustrating. As a previous Mudder, I honestly understand (and agree with) the 'don't expect this to be WoW' mind set - it's why I chose to play a MUD. However, with so much choice of gaming these days, what would have been 'I'll work this out if it takes me all night' now turns into 'I'm getting frustrated, lets see whats on steam'. More than that, it seems that people on the forum wish it to have a wider reach, and for that I believe it needs to have some of the conveniences we have now.

For instance, having a 'loot' command that picks up everything from killed corpses would be great - I know you could alias it, but having it from the start with a sign that says 'once you've defeated enemies, type loot to pick everything up' would be common sense by today's standard. I know the equipment/inventory and logging off thing is something that's been debated a lot before, but I honestly think it's needlessly complicated and will really, really annoy a returning player if they've not jumped through the hoops and find all their stuff is gone. Regardless of what meta reasons there are, for the new player it's just 'logged in -> stuff I worked hard for gone -> quit'. More than that, for all the info, it might be better to have a few screens of 'enforced text' that come up - no reading signs, just 'FooBar the mad shouts at you 'LOOT CORPSES AFTER KILLING THEM BY TYPING 'loot'!'

Anyway, I can't wait to get more involved, and if anyone did want to hear more thoughts from someone who is both an olde Mudder and a newbie do let me know.
You have to venture out a little bit once you get off the Tutorial Island. As a recent small-ish player myself, there is a backpack you can buy near the "main hub town Sparkle" (in Green Oaks village) that has a command "packloot corpses" - it takes all the stuff from corpses straight into your backpack. Welcome to the Genesis world, by the way!

Also, keep in mind that this is a completely free game - and therefore wizards are not paid employees of the "MUD company" - everything you see has been coded by volunteers.

User avatar
Luma
Adept
Posts: 101
Joined: 12 Feb 2017 06:07
Location: Studying spell scrolls

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Luma » 15 Jul 2018 01:30

Amberlee wrote:
Cherek wrote:I am gonna do a new grinding area with twice the Xp of GK, and each time you want to visit it you need to finish a Cadu-maze kind of quest first. Best of two worlds!:)

I will actually come find you and slap you with a trout in true Monty Python style..
Schlip! Schlap!

Darken Rahl
Apprentice
Posts: 28
Joined: 26 Oct 2017 11:42

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Darken Rahl » 29 Jul 2018 10:47

Luma wrote:
Amberlee wrote:
Cherek wrote:I am gonna do a new grinding area with twice the Xp of GK, and each time you want to visit it you need to finish a Cadu-maze kind of quest first. Best of two worlds!:)

I will actually come find you and slap you with a trout in true Monty Python style..
Schlip! Schlap!
Go for it Cherek!

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2293
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: PC Gamer

Post by gorboth » 04 Aug 2018 00:04

MANY thanks to Cherek for his excellent coordination of these PC Gamer issues while his fellow Admin have been on vacation. Exciting things are in the air, everyone!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Slyde01
Beginner
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 Oct 2018 16:38

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Slyde01 » 22 Oct 2018 15:55

New player here. Just wanted to say that i decided to try this game compeltely due to the recent PC Gamer article.

Been playing a few weeks now and i have to say that i am really enjoying it. Great community, as well... :)

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2293
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: PC Gamer

Post by gorboth » 22 Oct 2018 18:48

Slyde01 wrote:New player here. Just wanted to say that i decided to try this game compeltely due to the recent PC Gamer article.

Been playing a few weeks now and i have to say that i am really enjoying it. Great community, as well... :)
I'm very happy to hear this, Slyde! We feel very fortunate to have been given such a profoundly rare and wonderful writeup in such a prominant magazine. I am glad you found us, and glad you're enjoying it.

Maybe tell a few of your friends about the game - it is really fun to have people in your RL community who you can geek out with talking about all the stuff happening in Genesis. :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Slyde01
Beginner
Posts: 19
Joined: 15 Oct 2018 16:38

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Slyde01 » 23 Oct 2018 16:13

gorboth wrote:
Slyde01 wrote:New player here. Just wanted to say that i decided to try this game compeltely due to the recent PC Gamer article.

Been playing a few weeks now and i have to say that i am really enjoying it. Great community, as well... :)
I'm very happy to hear this, Slyde! We feel very fortunate to have been given such a profoundly rare and wonderful writeup in such a prominant magazine. I am glad you found us, and glad you're enjoying it.

Maybe tell a few of your friends about the game - it is really fun to have people in your RL community who you can geek out with talking about all the stuff happening in Genesis. :-)

G.
Already done.

I was mentioning Genesis to my local boardgaming group this weekend, and saying how i had decided to try it, but i honestly thought i would try it for 15 minutes just to quell my curiosity, but ive now put in about 9 hours of gametime and i'm still looking forward to playing it tonight.

So, a bunch of the group asked me for the link, which i provided. I dont think any of them have tried it yet, but i am hopeful.

User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2293
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: PC Gamer

Post by gorboth » 24 Oct 2018 16:45

Way to go! :-)
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

User avatar
Mersereau
Champion
Posts: 551
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 01:05
Contact:

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Mersereau » 02 Nov 2018 13:34

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

User avatar
Kitriana
Champion
Posts: 627
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 04:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PC Gamer

Post by Kitriana » 02 Nov 2018 14:28

If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/