Bloodsea navigation

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Bloodsea navigation

Post by Drazson » 30 Jun 2022 17:02

Hello all,

Following a discord discussion I suggest enabling everybody to move in the bloodsea using the usual directions <n>, <north> and numpad accordingly. There might be different commands like <order> and <sail> but I see them only being in the way of being able to navigate normally.

Cheers

Tapakah
Wizard

Re: Bloodsea navigation

Post by Tapakah » 01 Jul 2022 00:48

Drazson wrote:
30 Jun 2022 17:02
Hello all,

Following a discord discussion I suggest enabling everybody to move in the bloodsea using the usual directions <n>, <north> and numpad accordingly. There might be different commands like <order> and <sail> but I see them only being in the way of being able to navigate normally.

Cheers
In Tinyfugue we used to do:

Code: Select all

/def sneakon = alias n sneak north%;alias s sneak south%;alias w sneak west%;alias e sneak east%;alias ne sneak northeast%;alias nw sneak northwest%;alias se sneak southeast%;alias sw sneak southwest%;alias d sneak down%;alias u sneak up%;/echo ===== SNEAKING ======
/def sneakoff = unalias n%;unalias s%;unalias w%;unalias e%;unalias ne%;unalias nw%;unalias se%;unalias sw%;unalias u%;unalias d%;
Can't similar thing be applied to sailing?
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 01 Jul 2022 08:45

If it's assumed that people will "alias out" of the commands they're supposed to be using - and indeed it's not bearable to go around with them - why have the commands in the first place besides the fact that somebody went out of their way to implement them? If it is a problem (and I suggest it is, since people that actually use <order/sail east> seem to not exist) isn't it correct to suggest a fix instead of a workaround? (Even if some kind of fishing needs to be taken care of first)

Quantum
Adept

Post by Quantum » 05 Jul 2022 15:24

I think I will question Tapakah further on this one.

If we are expected to make a group of triggers we can activate when sailing, then what is the purpose of making travel harder? What's the point?

Q

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 05 Jul 2022 20:59

Realism!
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 08 Jul 2022 06:38

Realism has nothing to do with that, and the sarcasm, as usually, is misplaced.

Standard room directions are embedded deeply in the room code. It's much simpler to implement the non-standard movement via 'sail' than via redefinition of the standard exits. The difference, I think, is even bigger, when trying to catch non-existing and conditional directions.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/