PP - aka Player Purge aka Restart

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What do YOU think about a purge?

1. Great idea - let's go for it, dude!
22%
2. Idea ok, requires the following tweaks ...
17%
3. Not such a great idea - I got better ones ...
13%
4. Please go die - your idea stinks! I am in love with my toon(s)!
48%

Total votes: 23

Laurel

PP - aka Player Purge aka Restart

Post by Laurel » 30 Jun 2010 14:28

At first I was totally against it - loosing all that Laurel was over the years, all her past, achievments, failures ... her way.
Then - after the usual "denial phase" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model) - the "bargain phase" kicked in and I started to think more freely about it. Trying to avoid depression now 8-)

Here is what I think so far:

1. purge ONLY other exp than quest exp (battle, general)
2. allow free namechange
3. allow no-restrictions guild joining for the next few weeks after purge
4. block PvP for up to 3 months (to disallow guild wars being started by utter jerks)
5. purge ALL skills, but give everybody 1-2k pc on account (give people a chance to NOT have to grind their butts off)
6. give all players the option to join evil/goodie upon char repick (just like current newbie content finish)
7. if someone returns from a long slumber after the above mentioned weeks (pt. 3) - allow them to choose either return to their old guild (without battle exp, namechanged if wanted) or restart anew
8. introduce a q-exp multiplier/cap to filter out chars that have been created during "happy weeks" (increased q-exp multiplier for chars created in a certain period of time only VERY few knew about ...)
9. puppet's name would be restricted to be available only to said puppet and if NOT used - banished for x years; the history would remain with those who hold it dear

Let's have a relatively healthy discussion about it ... or at least let's try 8-)
Last edited by Laurel on 30 Jun 2010 15:42, edited 2 times in total.

Rhaegar
Legend

Re: PP - aka Player Purge aka Restart

Post by Rhaegar » 30 Jun 2010 14:37

For me it looks like a lot of fun. And fun is always welcome.
Also, I'd love to see all this interesting shuffles going on :)
Edit: And perhaps it could help some stagnant guilds to get back on track.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 30 Jun 2010 14:48

One of the strengths of this game, is it's rich history.
That's everything ranging from coded things, saved logs, guild library stories/scrolls etc and all the players memories.
Hell, it seems many players hang around still, only because of the memories.

Wiping all of that clean, and I think you'd have a hard time getting old game back up again.
I can certainly appreciate the "goldrush feeling" of having a fresh start on the game, but I think it's a huge gamble, that is not worth taking in the current situation.

The game certainly needs alot of fixes, but this is "A Fix Too Far" :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 30 Jun 2010 14:51

It would be an easy fix. Just organize wiz-day with features mentioned by Laurel, just to check out if people would like it, and then tell the players that the backup files "mysteriously" got corrupted/disappeared/whatever and it's not possible to revert the game back to its original status. ;)
I guess that most people would start whining but would get over it soon.

Another idea is to introduce the Purging Chamber, which you can enter when you reach hero or titan level (so it won't be abused). When you enter it, your char is stripped of all combat, general and guild exp, guild affiliations, skills, names, memory, bank accounts, alignment and body.
You can then re-create your character with a new name, race and old qexp and quest items and you would receive 1k platinum coins.

This would be a way to start a new life without having to undergo the tedious process of growing a new character.
You could do this only once per year or something like that.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 30 Jun 2010 15:17

Well - how about if your puppet's name would be restricted to be available only to your puppet and if NOT used - banished for x years? The history would remain with those who hold it dear.

I myself would prolly stick to my char's name ... Tristram's player may however see it different

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 30 Jun 2010 15:18

The idea sounds wonderfull, but people that have over 1-2K plats in the bank should just get to keep theire cash :P
The rest I agree with Laurel, it would be awsome and make for some guilds to come alive since they are virtually unjoinable due to activity issues

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 30 Jun 2010 15:28

Draugor wrote:The idea sounds wonderfull, but people that have over 1-2K plats in the bank should just get to keep theire cash :P
And why? You want to reset your char, so it would include its assets too (not that you can't give all the cash to your friend 'for placeholding').

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 30 Jun 2010 16:38

I voted hate the idea...
As I have tried creating a few seconds and it is just to painful to quest again.

Then I read the bit about keeping quest exp..
Hmm, Not sure what it would accomplish tho..
Tending to agree with Makfly, its a change bridge to far.

I would rather see quest exp caps etc imposed.
And if the huge people with crazy amounts of qxp suddenly have their brute jump up then good.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 30 Jun 2010 19:45

A few tweaks more: a) return to the old titles; and b) cap experience to (say) the current hero level. Titles would be capped to the old champion, but you could continue growing until you hit the maximum experience. Then raise the level one new mortal level per year to give everyone a chance of reaching it there.

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 30 Jun 2010 21:11

Love it, I would support this 100%, or maybe just the name change and loose all combat/general exp for those who want it :P

Though I wonder what wizards have to say on the matter? If this would even be possible..

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/