Parry+two handed+two weapons

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ilrahil

Re: Parry+two handed+two weapons

Post by Ilrahil » 03 Jul 2010 18:39

Well Rhaegar you are more incorrect than Davvol in this.

MBB is not that outdated and still one of the best weapons in the game. There is no good Frost axe, its a Heavy Frost club. The Frost axe is a shitty version that Neidar can get when the giants attack Iron Delving.

I like what Davvol is saying but I've been in agreement that two-handed combat NEEDS to be changed. At the moment their is no benefit for me as a member of the BDA to use two weapons over one + a shield so I am paying tax for no reason for a skill I rarely ever use. What Davvol is saying is that guilds like Neidar and AA never have to worry about it. They have low two handed skill but its not a problem. They can use a two handed club or axe if not tanking, and a club + shield when tanking. Guilds that are supposed to use two weapons don't have any benefit to it.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 03 Jul 2010 18:44

Ilrahil wrote:At the moment their is no benefit for me as a member of the BDA to use two weapons over one + a shield so I am paying tax for no reason for a skill I rarely ever use.
This is true assuming you will always be solo. If you have someone tanking for you, there's no reason you should be carrying a shield. ;)

Updated:
Another way to think of skills you don't feel like you "need" is insurance. You pay for insurance even though you most likely (unless committing fraud) will rarely need to use it. But when you do need it, it's a good thing to have.

In actuality, two-handed weapon combat has actually improved a lot over the last couple of years. Those changes have also been rolled into recoded guild specials. This is why there is such a wide discrepancy in opinions about its value. ie. some are using old evidence.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 03 Jul 2010 19:45

Or in certain situations (mostly PvP related) when dual wielding or wielding a two-hander would be advantageous over one-hander + shield.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 03 Jul 2010 19:55

petros wrote:
Ilrahil wrote:At the moment their is no benefit for me as a member of the BDA to use two weapons over one + a shield so I am paying tax for no reason for a skill I rarely ever use.
This is true assuming you will always be solo. If you have someone tanking for you, there's no reason you should be carrying a shield. ;)

Well i just have to comment this.
1. There are very few guilds that have the ability to dual wield effectively.
Also i have noticed that even with sup guru two handed combat, it decreaces your hit ratio a fair bit..

2. There are very few good two handed weapons out there!
Well atleast for any weapon except polearm that is...
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 03 Jul 2010 20:32

Anyone that uses two handed combat at the minute has a problem tanking.
And if they can use a shield, they drop one weapon when tank.

There is a trade off damage for tanking.

But this is an idea that has a lot of merit.
Sure there would be balance considerations in making a change. People crying about ogres being uber etc.
But if it could be balance then great idea.

Would be nice to have an option.. Like is coded into certain daggers.
Where you can use off hand weapon aggressively or defensively.
So when you set it defensive you get a parry bonus, dependant on the 2 handed combat skill level.

I am sure the SU would love it.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 20 Jul 2010 12:51

Why not give bonus when using two-handed weapons as well as when using
two weapons. That way the skill gets used regardless if you end up with a
twohanded weapon or find two weapons of good enough quality to fight with.
Regardless of what you use you will use two hands one way or the other.
Maybe a 10% bonus to parry when using two weapons but loose some speed
unless you are at sup guru, and instead gain speed when using a twohanded
weapon.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/