Newbie tokens

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Newbie tokens

Post by Rhaegar » 20 Jan 2011 11:15

Just a crazy idea to help newbies get their core skills and make grinding a bit more interesting.
What if low level mobs had a chance of dropping newbie tokens?

Token commands:

discard token(s) - to get rid of them in case you don't need them any more.

token <skill> - lets you improve one level of skill, regardless of cost, in any Adventurer's Guild (and only in AG).

You wouldn't be able to give, drop, sell, put them in packs etc. Tokens would stay with you like sybarun coins.
This way you couldn't abuse the system (can't use tokens for guilds and can't give them away so you can only use what you find yourself) and newbies would have more incentive to go hunting mobs relative to their level instead of just herbing or begging for money.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Newbie tokens

Post by Cherek » 20 Jan 2011 13:34

Sounds like a good idea! Perhaps call them something else though. Newbie-token sounds to non-Genesishy..:)

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 20 Jan 2011 18:34

Also, I think that questmasters could give you a token for each completed tour/small task. Tarshir tours are especially time consuming and offer very little reward in terms of qexp.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 20 Jan 2011 19:04

This is a good idea.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Jan 2011 19:24

Oh yes. Good idea as well to add them as rewards for small quests. It's been previously discussed to add cash rewards for tours and smaller quests which I still think is a good too.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Jan 2011 23:44

How is this preferable to just dropping some sellable piece of loot that adds up to x amount of plats?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 20 Jan 2011 23:58

gorboth wrote:How is this preferable to just dropping some sellable piece of loot that adds up to x amount of plats?

G.
1. Saving time: newbies can't carry a lot and repeated trips between killing grounds and shop can wear down their characters and take time they could be spending on getting more kills (like the bunnies in newbie area, which drop loot that weights next to nothing).
2. Easier to assess: 5 tokens = 5 skill levels. It's easier to know when you've reached certain threshold or goal you've set for yourself instead of suffering the disappointment of not being able to train this last skill level you wanted when you sold your loot.
3. Saving money: you save the money you earn the traditional way for use with guilds (like Cadets) instead of core skills you get in AG that don't help you all this much early on as only a couple of them are really necessary for early questing/exploring (language, hunting, block, riding, alchemy, appraise enemy, find and remove traps? seriously?).
4. Preserving game: you don't want big boys running regular sweeps of newbie grind zones for some easy money, do you?

Edit:
5. New mechanic: you introduce an interesting new mechanic to the game that can be used in other parts as well. Giving tokens for the big guys for events for example, and such tokens would work in any guild, not just AG. I know, it's a small thing, but still something that can make you happy.

Earth
Great Adventurer

Post by Earth » 21 Jan 2011 23:16

Rhaegar wrote: 1. Saving time: newbies can't carry a lot and repeated trips between killing grounds and shop can wear down their characters and take time they could be spending on getting more kills (like the bunnies in newbie area, which drop loot that weights next to nothing).
Actually this reminds me of a item on an old diku mud I used to play. The item was a golden coin (purse), which was like a magically enhanced backpack. The coin itself weighed very little, and allowed the player to store lots and lots of stuff within it. This was one of the must have items that all of the larger players tried to 'pop' for the newbies in the game.

Maybe we can introduce something like that in Genesis, perhaps turn the newbie pin into a container where newbies could store items (which would reduce volume and weight of stored items) until they hit a certain size?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 21 Jan 2011 23:26

Like a pack of holding..? the A D & D ones.. Say as a newbie when entering the world, Lars or Gorboth or who ever and hands them a Pack that will allow them to loot as much as possible ? untill they make wandere or Apprintices ? then the pack will simply go puff. and away it is.

And while we are at it, How about a newbie rack in the Sparkle church or something, where players could drop off suff hard for newbies to get, armours and swords of decent kind, they would not be able to sell the stuff, but able to use it and rack it again for further use. Players of sertan size would never be able to take from the racks. to replace all the newbie boxes. then it would just be one rack. ?

My cents.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 21 Jan 2011 23:52

I'm all for newbie racks if they would come with the safety feature not allowing for harmful stuff to be dropped in them.
Not so long ago I've visited Cadets to drop some splendid swords and the like there and what do I see in the racks?
Bloody steel axe, black double-bladed dagger, red heavy battleaxe, dragonmarked claymore, dragonforged dagger...
In other words, stuff small people either can't wield or that would kill them if they attempted to do so.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/