Two types of Characters.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Ilrahil

Re: Two types of Characters.

Post by Ilrahil » 26 Jan 2011 08:25

No it doesn't because when I reach myth what do I have to look forward to? Maybe 1 quest that is Gorboth's merchant one that doesn't show up on the orbs? in the next day I'll be a myth with every quest done. Not enough new quests will be added to make a new mortal level.

THIS IS NOT A MMORPG! I'm not going to start a new character because I reached myth and have every quest done. There aren't other classes I can try. I don't want to be in other guilds. Half the goodie guilds upon learning my new character was a second of Ilrahil would ban him from joining.

So how does this benefit me or any other large player.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 26 Jan 2011 08:54

Well, there are other activities besides growing ever larger, you could go and start a war or something.

Some endgame content should be introduced though for this to work.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Jan 2011 10:54

Ilrahil wrote:Half the goodie guilds upon learning my new character was a second of Ilrahil would ban him from joining.
give Rangers a shot - I keep stating that I don't care who the main char is, as long the second is played well and with heart ;)
Rhaegar wrote:Well, there are other activities besides growing ever larger, you could go and start a war or something.
start a war as hero/titan with another guild where legend/myth is the usual size ... Beregond already left the building
also - agreed with Ilrahil on the brute/growth topic

Creed

Post by Creed » 26 Jan 2011 14:50

I agree with Ilrahil on this one.

I don't want genesis to end up like a bad MMORPG.

And certainly not one like WoW, which annoys its players every second year, making a new expansion that renders all their equipment useless, because they now can get another 10 levels and another 1000 hours of instance grinding.

Sure, its nice for people who either hate questing too much, don't have any solutions or just don't bother to do anything about it, if we change the quest/grind system.

But I happen to like it the way it is, and I don't think that we should change it, just because a few want it to be more like some MMORPG. I mean, even those few are already here, meaning that they can live with it.

If you change something, then you might end up with a lot of people leaving, since its a new situation. So in that case, I think a lack of change is the less of two evils.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 26 Jan 2011 17:43

Genesis isn't a MMORPG?
Well, I suppose you could say that it's not Massive, considering the extremely low, active player-base. But it is Multiplayer and it is a Roleplaying Game.
So, yea, it is in the same catagory as other MMORPGs. The pool of MMORPG players is very much something Genesis could benefit from. Many, if not most, Genesis players have or are also playing a commercial MMORPG, just as many have left Genesis for those games.

Reading this thread is a bit depressing, though, as given a good portion of the posts here seems to reflect the Genesis as the dinosaur that would rather starve to death, than change and adapt to the times it exist in.

But I guess one have to know how to pick your battles. I have fond memories of Genesis, and perhaps some day, it'll have changed and appeal to me again, but for now it seems like a waste of energy to try and teach this old dog any new tricks :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 26 Jan 2011 18:56

Cherek wrote:Cherek
I think it sounded much better in my head then it does writing it out, alot of that was done from work and trying to squeeze bits and pieces inbetween flights, so everything was a bit back and forth. I never wanted to make grinding obsolete, I just wanted quests to not have such a major impact on growth. I've never really seen quests as ways to grow and even certain games MMORPG or not they've been more about getting certain items or unlocking things then the exp. Hence why I suggested the change in rewards, my reasons were flawed in what I wrote and I'm sure I had it figured out some way or another to make sense yesterday it just didnt come out like I had planned. ;)

So somehow allow it so if one person wants to grind to Myth they can or another can choose to Quest to Myth, or use the system as it is now and do a bit of both. There has to be someway to cater to both parties, I just dont know what it is now.

Genesis is unique and always will be, it's also outdated. This content was fine 20 years ago when there wasnt much to compare it to. Now your trying to get people to stop playing modern games that some have been playing for years and years. There was no ps3, xbox 360, wii, and tons of Online RPG's back then, even browser games now days hold much of the same concepts that games nowdays have, hell roleplaying forums even smash our playerbase. Now your trying to find people regardless of what they are interested in to a text based game with content that was created 20 years ago? It really does take a certain breed of person to be able to stick with a text based game. Genesis needs to adapt and if that means losing a few people just to interest 20 more then I'm all for it no matter what the idea may be.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 26 Jan 2011 20:41

Makfly,

What many people are suggesting here is to change Genesis in ways of the current MMORPG. What would Genesis gain from resembling WoW or whatever online grafic game? We cant compete with them on the same terms. That's why we have to cherish what we have. It is a good game, what we need to do is improve the things we have that make Genesis special.

Transforming Genesis into a text based WoW will be the end of the game.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 26 Jan 2011 20:56

Chanele wrote:Makfly,

What many people are suggesting here is to change Genesis in ways of the current MMORPG. What would Genesis gain from resembling WoW or whatever online grafic game? We cant compete with them on the same terms. That's why we have to cherish what we have. It is a good game, what we need to do is improve the things we have that make Genesis special.

Transforming Genesis into a text based WoW will be the end of the game.
I'll agree with you in saying transforming completely would be bad, but taking bits and pieces would do wonders.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Jan 2011 01:26

Greneth: Okay, well so we agree after all. We both want grinders AND questers to be welcome and to be able to grow. I dont have a perfect solution either. The one I can think of is removing brutality and let XP be XP, but yes it will introduce other problems, like being able to grow very quick using quest solutions. But considering how unfriendly the game is for small-sized characters, maybe that isnt so bad. Makes it possible to catch up a little quicker than now perhaps?

But quests are used to grow today, so I am not sure upping the quest rewards will make you grow quicker, or slower compared to how it works now with lowering your brutality. It all depends on how the caluclations are made to normalize the old brutality to a static value in gaining combat experience. But you guys are correct in that if you want to grow you HAVE to make some quests and grind. Maybe thats good? Or maybe one should be able to have more of a choice. I am not sure. Its a huge change and I still havent heard any suggestions that are undisputable better than what we now have. Before making such a big change you'd better be as sure as one can be that it will be a good change.

I am all for other rewards to quests as well, and using them to get cool items, or gain entrance to areas or guilds is great. (Some quests already do this). But transforming all quests to a new type of reward will be an immense job, and I still think XP should be part of the reward. The game is about growing, thats really the core of the game, just like most other games. To reach the next level. I think quests should be part of reaching the next level.

I havent played WoW since the Beta but if I remember correctly you do gain experience from their quests too?

As Chanele said, we cant compete with WoW, its like comparing a good book to a good movie. You can enjoy both, but they are also very different. I see Genesis as a good book, while graphical MMORPGs are like movies. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages, but we should use our advantages, not try to be a "movie" because we're not.

Having said that, sure there are probably some things other games do that we could be inspired by, like the imbuement system Gorboth already mentioned is greatly inspired by Diablo.

So are there other games with similar types of quests like Genesis that are successful and have a system that works well and that the majority of the players like?

I dont play that many games these days so I am not very updated.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 27 Jan 2011 02:11

The quests do provide exp but the difference being they have alot of repeatables, such as kill X turn in and you can do it as many times needed for like lvl 40-45 before its not available anymore.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/