Wizhelpers

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Wizhelpers

Post by Rhaegar » 01 Feb 2011 04:03

Greneth please... I have clearly mentioned in the OP that wizhelper's primary job would be to provide and improve descriptions. Not coding anything. There is no coding knowledge or any special tool required for that.
And the suggestion board would perhaps allow arches to step in the cases where wizards of some domain are inactive. I've reported bugs and typos with poleaxes ages ago, they're still there. The same goes for the little dog in Kabal, pouches in ME etc.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 01 Feb 2011 04:52

Rhaegar wrote: Now please do tell me, how do you code such thing using a wizard (no pun intended, I'm talking about the next->next->next->ok type windows installer wizard here)?
I'm confused.. you said my idea was flawed because of this statement yet all your wanting to do is assist wizards in descriptions which is exactly what I offered only allowing the player to get a more hands on approach instead of just providing ideas which as you just said sometimes never gets heard.

:?

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 01 Feb 2011 05:27

Yeah, but with this hands on approach you're very limited whereas wizards are not. That's why I wanted to make this things separate, keeping ideas and coding unlimited.

The problem here is that if you have an idea and it can't be easily implemented (or implemented at all) in this coding-helper you're much more likely to either downgrade the idea or abandon it at all.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 04 Feb 2011 06:20

Greneth wrote:I dunno how the wiz process works here but I play around with a Dead Souls lib which I just run from a local host. They have a bunch of nifty little items that send you to your own little creators room where you can play around. The nice feature is the staff which instead of writing the code out you can type.

"Create room south"

Instead of having to type out the inherit or any of the bracket codes for setting long decriptions, short ect.

And it will create a carbon copy of the room your in to the south. From there you can "add npc Orc" 'modify name Orc" ect. It's all very easy to use and gets alot of the repetitiveness out of the way. Could be a fun way to allow players to get a bit creative with things and take a load off some of the wizards who are looking for a multi layered huge dungeon and want to do the fun stuff.
I really do like the idea of players getting more involved in the process. I was actually involved with one of the earliest forms of this room creator back when Dead Souls was called Nightmare. It was useful to save myself a bunch of time by using a menu-driven system to create rooms and populate it. The problem is that the rooms that are created are extremely limited and not terribly interesting. At some point, one will have to learn LPC to properly code anything remotely useful. Or someone needs to write a very very good room creator *ahem Earth*.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 04 Feb 2011 06:54

petros wrote:
Greneth wrote:I dunno how the wiz process works here but I play around with a Dead Souls lib which I just run from a local host. They have a bunch of nifty little items that send you to your own little creators room where you can play around. The nice feature is the staff which instead of writing the code out you can type.

"Create room south"

Instead of having to type out the inherit or any of the bracket codes for setting long decriptions, short ect.

And it will create a carbon copy of the room your in to the south. From there you can "add npc Orc" 'modify name Orc" ect. It's all very easy to use and gets alot of the repetitiveness out of the way. Could be a fun way to allow players to get a bit creative with things and take a load off some of the wizards who are looking for a multi layered huge dungeon and want to do the fun stuff.
I really do like the idea of players getting more involved in the process. I was actually involved with one of the earliest forms of this room creator back when Dead Souls was called Nightmare. It was useful to save myself a bunch of time by using a menu-driven system to create rooms and populate it. The problem is that the rooms that are created are extremely limited and not terribly interesting. At some point, one will have to learn LPC to properly code anything remotely useful. Or someone needs to write a very very good room creator *ahem Earth*.
Oh I agree they can be limited but if your willing to put in a bit of time the manual they have teaches you quite a bit and its not hard to get the hang of it. Then the rooms become quite fun. :-)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/