Bring back rule against idling

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Chanele
Champion

Re: Bring back rule against idling

Post by Chanele » 07 Feb 2011 23:38

come on Alorrana you're brighter then that;)
Your examples are just silly, the problem is half of the populations is idle in guilds. How can newcomers tell the different? Fuck this game everyone I contact ignores me I'll find myself another Mud/game.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Feb 2011 23:46

gorboth wrote:The problems that I feel are of serious concern with regard to idling can be found in <help botting.>

Cherek, if I had to choose between someone not being logged in at all, or being logged in but idle, I would choose the latter. The reason for this is that, false advertising or not, I think it is very beneficial to a prospective new player to log in, see 30 players, and feel that the game has a community. If 20 of those players are actually idle, and unresponsive, that may indeed be annoying, but it is less depressing than logging in and seeing a game with only 10 players present.

I think the first impression for new people is better with more people logged in. Might there sometimes be a newbie who receives no response to their questions on the ntell line? Perhaps, but I feel this is more the exception than the rule.

G.
Well I get that, but I dont know. As Chanele said I think its false advertising. And since we have very few truly new people anyway, I think idling is mostly annoying for us who are not idle. That you never can get ahold of people, especially those who are idle on triggers so you dont even know they are idle. Like Creed's example.

If you want to make it seem like we have more players then we dont I would much more prefer the idea of letting us log in with a second newbie character. Then atleast you would get a higher total, a higher active total, and newbie helpers on the same time.

But why not just add a little sign on idle players in the who list? So you can atleast pick out who are idle without having to "last" everyone, and you cant "last" those you dont have in memory. Atleast then you would know and need not bother them, and true newbies would also know they wont reply.

Yes then you will actually see a majority of the players are either LD or Idle, but atleast its the truth we are showing. I dont think anyone are really fooled. Even true newbies will learn about how many are truly idle all the time, and chances are they feel they've been getting false info, I think its better to show them the real world actually.

Or like Morpheus would say: You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

He's talking about idle players of course. :)
Last edited by Cherek on 07 Feb 2011 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Feb 2011 23:48

Alorrana: I think the (-) sign would solve both my problems and still keep you happy and logged in. And it would provide true info for everyone, but not so true that you would feel completely alone...:)

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 07 Feb 2011 23:48

Chanele wrote:come on Alorrana you're brighter then that;)
Your examples are just silly, the problem is half of the populations is idle in guilds. How can newcomers tell the different? Fuck this game everyone I contact ignores me I'll find myself another Mud/game.

But..? I dont ignore people even when Idle, I consider Idling as not moving around and just working on on pc with gen in the rear.? And if im not at screen I remove my helper pin and go somewhere where people can reach me.. Personally I have Anghoths, and I can stay there, or even just stand in a darkroom in Mordor, what ever i choose.

But i guess we are talking about leaving your character compleatly and just walk off, being away from the pc. ? or..?

Thats why a (-) would be good, then people would know your actually not around. Perhaps make it so your could set it. Like : options Idle -2. And it would be to the world that your arent around the next 2 hrs. and when they are up, and you havnt reset it or set a new idle time, then the system would LD you out or something.

I agree that Idle guild leaders are a pain, but when in fact Im a guild commander and I idle alot, But i answer my mails, and messages, so i personally cant see the issue, but we shouldnt make a rule against ideling, better leave it up to people. they could say Ahh i want to play gen today, but i will first really get the time in 4 hrs-- hmm.. Ok ill log in and idle. Log on, set idle -4. this way new ones know whos Idle, and for how long, And if player dosnt return, simply logged out.

But No chanele, dont mistake me for bright.. ;) never wanted that on me. Im a MAD COW.. !! ;)
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Feb 2011 23:55

Well, you have convinced me Aloranna, I do not believe in a rule against idling anymore. I believe in the (-) sign instead. Allthough I think its much better if it is just automatic? If you're idle, it turns on. If not, its not on? Could have a five minute limit or so instead of just one though...?

Question is, would people then just make tick-timers every 30s so they dont get the (-) sign? I dont know, would they?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 08 Feb 2011 00:03

Actually I wouldnt, because, its nothing to hide that you idel. I mean, if you make a 30 second tick then clearly its a sign your hiding something, or just want to be an ass and go against the rules, and perhaps, if you feel one is misusing the idle system, perhaps idle with EQ make a note to a wizard and then they have to look at the player in question. A wizard could easy check if he she is idle. But I dont think it will be an issue, perhaps for a few hoarders that simply thinks genesis EQ is made to them, but otherwhise no, i think people would be happy to have it. I would, it actually annoys me to have my tick going, because usually when i get a mail if ticks, and i always forget to turn it off.. so its something like

Hail Melkor !

Greetings my Lord,
who f
minolist
nlist
vitals.
:D

And then i have to delete again and start over.. just my bad luck i guess, but if the system knew i was idle for the next 4 hrs with the (-) or just knows im Idle, then i would be in the game and not idled out. and free of anoying mail ticks that haunts me when i post someone.. *mumble* ;)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Feb 2011 01:12

Hm yes thats true. Could perhaps eliminate the need for tick timers I suppose. And up the idle time limit if we want...

I still think idle-time should not count towards age or possible guild "experience", if that now exists at all. I have no problem rewarding actual active game time though, but rewarding idling doesnt seem like such a good idea to me.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 08 Feb 2011 01:35

agreed on that, when you where with the (-) on no kinda time would count in the game, besides perhaps your online age.. I mean, thats not an issue to be old is it ? any benefits to mis use from gaining age ?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 08 Feb 2011 01:49

I have no idea. Wise men club and elder list on home page is the only ones I know of... its no big deal but I think it would be nicer if those reflected _active_ game time instead of LD/Idle as well.

I dont know which, or if, there are guilds that take guild age into consideration.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 08 Feb 2011 01:51

well it would be a wiz thing to figure out. :) but glad we agree on it could be of use to have some kinda Idle controle. to let people be aware if your to idle.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/