GoG Sponsored Genesis-wide Lottery!

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alexi
Veteran

GoG Sponsored Genesis-wide Lottery!

Post by Alexi » 10 Feb 2011 20:38

I think its time for the GoG to give back to the community after taking X % of our transactions. Show the community they are willing to invest back into our economy.

How about a Lottery. Each Player would be able to buy 1 ticket per armageddon, and the drawing could happen right before the next one. If nobody won, then the coins used to purchase the lottery would increse the lottery next armageddon.

Now there could be a *max* limit on what the winner could take home, but it would put some nice "randomness" to coins for someone, and perhaps we could have the next President of the Rich Man Club out there walking around unsuspecting.

I know people have worked to get where they are in places where coinage is required (RMC is what comes to mind) but there's nothing to say that person might not increase his or her wealth just as easily as the next person.

Thoughts?

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: GoG Sponsored Genesis-wide Lottery!

Post by Cherek » 10 Feb 2011 21:10

Great idea!

Would be one of those "Something is happening in the realms" things. Just like the wednesday market, events, etc.

I have one suggestion:

How about a "live" draw in Sparkle at a certain time and date? Instead of each armageddon which is a bit random, how about "Every thursday at 20:00" or something. Of course anyone who cant be there can still win, but might be something that could gather a few visitors atleast, and anything that gathers people is cool I think.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 10 Feb 2011 23:14

It is an interesting idea!

However, wouldn't it be more fun if lottery winners could get some fantastic item to use, rather than just more money?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 10 Feb 2011 23:15

Yeah, I would rather get some fantastic one of a kind item than money, money is relatively easy enough to come by. Equipment on the other hand is more rare and I hunt equipment and not coins.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 10 Feb 2011 23:48

Great idea!
Definitely more fun with an item. And if the item is good enough, this would make for an excellent money drain.
Just allow anyone to put in any amount of money, and the more money the higher the chance of winning (so if I spend 100 pc I'll have 5 times bigger chance of winning than someone spending 20 pc). Winner is declared eg every thursday at 20:00, as Cherek suggested, and the prize is an item that will STAY with you for the whole week, non-steal/trade/drop/loot/give/sell-able.
Make the prize something that won't occupy an important eq-slot and that will provide a boost no matter what eq you have or what level you are, while still not making you invincible (eg a ring that will boost your hp-regeneration a bit, a protective aura that will deflect every 5:th or 10th hit or that will boost your overall armour slightly, a necklace that boosts _all_ your skills one step, magic socks that doubles your movement points,...)
And when the winner is declared, also show how much money total was spent on the lottery this week, and how much money did the winner spend (was he/she very lucky or very rich & determined)
Rich people will win more often than poor ones. I don't really see this as unfair. But to make it a bit more interesting for lowbies who struggle for money and need it to buy skills (and to make it more of a social event), let everyone who are in the lottery-room when the winner is to be declared, be given an additional 10-pc bonus. So if you're a newbie, you can just be there when the winner is being drawn, and you'll be considered having put in 10 pc worth of tickets.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 11 Feb 2011 00:55

Personally I'd prefer the money than an item. Even if you're not going to use it right away it still goes a long ways. You might need it in the future or donate it to newbie charity or something.

I think that the best way would be to choose a reward. Either get your item or cash, whichever seems more useful to you at the moment.

This would get more people interested and everyone happy.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 11 Feb 2011 01:20

I keep thinking of the game show.. "let make a deal"...
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 11 Feb 2011 03:25

gorboth wrote:It is an interesting idea!

However, wouldn't it be more fun if lottery winners could get some fantastic item to use, rather than just more money?

G.
If an item is going to be used then, I would suggest making it an "Lottery Only" obtain item. To make the winner feel like a winner. Perhaps some intelligent design as it would know an AA member would get a club, SU a dagger, you get the picture. Make the item unique, highly useful compared to your normal "great items", none lasting over armageddon, and none tradable to another player, that lasts through that armageddon.

Or let them go with the plats.
Last edited by Alexi on 11 Feb 2011 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Feb 2011 05:42

I am against the idea that you can buy more tickets.

I saw this as an event where everyone, big or small, rich or poor, has the same chance.

I liked the idea of money, since actually, not everyone has tons of money. This sounded like something for those who doesnt enjoy looting or have huge bank accounts to have a chance to win some money. Actually I meet "big" players from time to time who mention they are pretty "broke". So lets not assume everyone have thousands of platinum on the bank.

But an item would work too. Some generic item, like a cool ring, armour, something anyone can use and benefit from, small or big, evil or good.

Maybe an item is the best way to go, if you need money, you can sell it in the auction, most likely fetching a nice price, if we assume this will be a top-notch item.

But use it as a money sink? Naaah... those with huge bank accounts and huge stats already have ways to gain lots of cool items. If they can buy unlimited amounts of tickets they get yet another edge.

I say give everyone equal chance to win, and let tickets be fairly cheap.

Alexi
Veteran

Post by Alexi » 11 Feb 2011 05:57

Cherek wrote:I am against the idea that you can buy more tickets.

I saw this as an event where everyone, big or small, rich or poor, has the same chance.

I liked the idea of money, since actually, not everyone has tons of money. This sounded like something for those who doesnt enjoy looting or have huge bank accounts to have a chance to win some money. Actually I meet "big" players from time to time who mention they are pretty "broke". So lets not assume everyone have thousands of platinum on the bank.

But an item would work too. Some generic item, like a cool ring, armour, something anyone can use and benefit from, small or big, evil or good.

Maybe an item is the best way to go, if you need money, you can sell it in the auction, most likely fetching a nice price, if we assume this will be a top-notch item.

But use it as a money sink? Naaah... those with huge bank accounts and huge stats already have ways to gain lots of cool items. If they can buy unlimited amounts of tickets they get yet another edge.

I say give everyone equal chance to win, and let tickets be fairly cheap.
Agreed Cherek, though I think for those who have money and chose the weapon, it shouldn't be auction"able". Because those that chose the item don't need the money more then likely, so let them use a weapon that doesn't break, stays with them for that week, can't be traded/dropped/racked, and after that its gone.

If they want the platinum coinage, then they take the money (a good-sized amount) and then they can "live comfortable" for a while.

But I'm a firm believer, 1 ticket per drawing. Cost maybe a few plays to buy a ticket, but 5 plats can be rounded in up seconds, even for a newer player just buy hitting some of the popular grinding areas (Qualinosti for one).

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/