Languages and Dialects.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alorrana
Myth

Languages and Dialects.

Post by Alorrana » 16 Feb 2011 01:10

Greetings gamers.

Most guilds including racial and layman, have their own language, where you can "rsay" "asay" "bsay" or what ever say, but problem is no one uses it...

Now i was thinking, or considering, sinch i refuse to think, but i was considering, have the languages hardcoded in the guilds, so when you speak you would use krynnish, elven, black tongue, it would do it on auto. So if a Noldor elf uses the normal "say or the ( ' ) he she would speak in elven tongue.. and other peoples wouldnt be able to understand it, unless ofc high language skills.
And to speak in the common tongue every one would have to use perhaps "csay" then all would understand, but when you just use "say" it would be in the areas/guild dialect and language.

And the language skills could be devided up in the races, a tongue for them all to learn for all players say like on the acadamy, where you could study language as a myth or as a beginner even, and make it like the necromancers study thingie.. it takes some time to learn a language. but when you have learned it, you will be able to understand it and listen in to conversations perhaps.. if you want to play a pointy eared sneaky one.. but in general to gain more use of the dialects.. and languages, improve rp. and to make it a bit more challinging to just pace around.. ? (or not harder, but more fun, interesting) this is something i personally would find of huge interest in the game.. but again my personal oppinion. :)

say it could take one 45 mins of study to learn a language.. ? so you could still choose to be the uneducated angmarian and speak with ye club, but you could also be the educated proud knight whos been around and learned many languages and share hes wisdom and knowledge.

sounds wird or ?
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Languages and Dialects.

Post by Cherek » 16 Feb 2011 01:24

Cant we just do what you suggest by a simple alias? If you want your regular "say" command to be your racial, just create an alias?

I believe the default should be the common tongue, or I would think there would be a whole lot on unneccesary confusion if we do get true newbies? Or?

But, how about instead introducing more dialects? That would be fun perhaps? Like GnomesWhoSpeakLikeThis, and OGRES LIKE THIS perhaps other races could have some type of automatic dialect as well? Instead of just "yells", "sings", "rasps" there could be more ways?

Like goblins automatically change words ending with an S to Z, and everything starting with TH becomes D, etc.

Perhaps they could be able to train the common tongue better also (like you suggested with languages) so that the dialect occurs less and less frequently? If they wish.

How about dat? Soundz good?

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 16 Feb 2011 01:49

I think language skill needs to be relooked at altogether... in terms of how much you are able to understand of different languages based on your skill...

I know language does play a part in reading scrolls.. and spell casting.

And can I vote again for a Sybarite Racial guild!!!!!
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 16 Feb 2011 01:55

The ide with Dialects sounds fun. But i was thinking of the Senario, if a huge ogre comes to hobbiton, and meet a hobbit that started talking to him, In the Ogres ears, wouldnt is sound like.. Peeb Peeb Peeb? little tiny ting trying to comunicate with the Huge Brainless Muscle.?

I agree some confustion could come with the newbies, But they will always have the Nline to speak via, or still the common tongue.

If you coded it to people speaking with Dialects it would still provide some issues aswell comming to elven and normal human languages... or dwarven.. ? but nothing that couldnt be handled im sure. perhaps my suggestion is to hard for the playstyle, but i think it would make it sorta more real(ish). I know I often shout its a game Its a game !! but somethings should be more real(ish) and some things shouldnt. :)

Orcs, Mages, and AA should all have the same speak. Black tongue as first, and common as second.

Elves, of ME. should speak the elven language as first, common as second.

Rangers, of ME. Common first, and Elven language as a second.

guilds on krynn. Krynish ofc. dragonarmies could have the Draco language as second, and common as third..

Small races Hobbits and gnomes. Little language they have made up.. and common.

Dwarves. Dwarven tongue and common as second. ..

Thats roughly 7 languages to learn.. I know it may sound silly, but languages could be a skill in the guild your joining, then you could study the rest of the languages at the accadamy or libaries.. Common, elven, Black tongue, Dwarven, Krynnish, Draco, and small races.

reason small races could be as one, is they are small peb-squiaks and it makes sence their languages would resemble eachothers.. but again just suggestion suggestions suggestions..
Funny the brain farts. :)

and newbies could just "nsay" or be hardcoded when a newbie speaks there would be no translation needed, then all would understand untill the newbie status ended, and by then the player should have figured out that there are a few different languages that one can learn if one chooses, otherwhise your prime and only tongue would be common.(or switch to the race you speak.) then you would have to learn the common tongue.. ect ect. :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Feb 2011 02:12

I am confused already...

I'll say what Alorrana usually says, its a GAME! :)

I think this is one thing that would be more realistic but over-compliacte things in a game. While I do not think its a bad idea really, and that it would be cool in a way, I think all players should by default be able to understand eachother. For the playability of the game.

If you want to RP an elf who only speaks elf, its possible as it is. And would be pretty interesting to see. Why dont you make an experiment of yourself to see how it works? To only speak you racial tongue? Maybe Alorrana was hit in the head so hard you lost the everything you had learned but your most basic native language?:) Or simply decided the the common tongue is a foul language and refuse to use it...

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 16 Feb 2011 02:22

problem is with sub amateur your more than cable of understanding my racial speak.. thats one of the reasons i dont use it.. there really is no need for language skills now as such. :)

otherwhise i would, I tried something like it wiht my second, but typing every other word wrong and high and low letters made it ekstremely har to speak and talk.. but ofc more training would do the job. but still.. :)

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 16 Feb 2011 02:46

Cherek wrote: But, how about instead introducing more dialects? That would be fun perhaps? Like GnomesWhoSpeakLikeThis, and OGRES LIKE THIS perhaps other races could have some type of automatic dialect as well? Instead of just "yells", "sings", "rasps" there could be more ways?
Actually, what you're referring to (yells, sings, rasps) is how different races perceive other races talking (elves will "sing" for humans and "say" for elves, humans will "say" for humans and "yell" for elves and so on) and I find it neat.

The other thing that could be implemented is perhaps your racial/occ/layman guilds giving you access to more languages/dialects, where you would be able to choose your default language used and such. Then, make players be able to understand only x languages/dialects (I guess x=skill/10 is a fair number, this would be 3 for AG language level and 5 for sup jur) other than the ones offered by their guild, based on their language skill (where they would have to choose which ones they know by going places and learning them).

This way, if you meet someone from AA who speaks Black Tongue by default and you haven't learned it, there's no way for you to understand him, and perhaps this person could switch to Minotaur if you did and you'd be in the dark again.

You get fluff and a very useful language skill.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 16 Feb 2011 05:36

Why not just whisper if you dont want your convo to be heard? Or whisper to team?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 16 Feb 2011 11:43

Because Im an Angmarian, Everything I do makes Noise.. And whispering dosnt really do that much for the game, Yeah you whisper, but every on you whisper too understands it.
This was simply to get some use of the languages and races we play.. whisper doesnt help your language. it just keeps people from listining to you.. And, yeah well If i see two calians on a boat whispering, Im Attacking.. Thats provoking.. ;)

But to be serious, A Minotaur would not understand a gnome.. it would sound like a little whining sound to its ears, and to the gnome, if the mino spoke, it would sound like snarls and growls..

Its okay we have racial language now, but when every guild gives you high language, its simply one of the most usless features in the game. I think it could totally rock if there was Area coded languages.. and common was something you would have to switch to, and there was other languages to learn. But hey Im Almost myth, so I have nothing els to do soon than come up with suggestions in here ;) beat the ones need beating, killed the npcs that needs killing.. and Im not going to PVP with so few players online, so why not make some suggestions that people could work with. ?

Now.. Take off those glasses and get a haircut :O)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 17 Feb 2011 00:34

Alorrana wrote:But to be serious, A Minotaur would not understand a gnome.. it would sound like a little whining sound to its ears, and to the gnome, if the mino spoke, it would sound like snarls and growls..
I think the proper word is "mooing" :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/