Separating General and Combat Exp in terms of Brute

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Earth
Great Adventurer

Separating General and Combat Exp in terms of Brute

Post by Earth » 02 Mar 2011 21:20

I thought I would repost the idea that I suggested in the "Oh, come on- this is not funny..." thread in the Logs and Stories section.
I have always thought that general experience should be brute neutral. It's kind of silly that thieving, forging, and herbing should make you more 'violent' over time. Instead, I've always imagined a separate descriptor for general experience that has a flavor of "how much you know of the world besides fighting". Here are some desriptors in no particular order:

polished, cultured, civilized, cosmopolitan

with some opposites

ignorant, naive, simple

The trick would be to use something that IS NOT already used by INT or WIS.

You are somewhat cosmopolitan and very violent.
My suggestion would make it that only the ratio between combat and quest experience should determine your brute in terms of how "violent" you are.

Separately, I would suggest that a new ratio between general and quest experience should determine your brute in terms of how "cosmopolitan" you are.

This way if you have a high amount of combat exp, it shouldn't prevent you from gaining more experience from herbing, forging, or anything else that gives you general experience.

At the same time, if all you do is herb or forge, your progress gained from these activity should decrease over time in the same way that combat experience works today.

I think in the short run this may increase player size overall, but this will solve one of the major problems with newbies in the realms. If they happen to join a team as a small newbie, and gain a whole bunch of combat experience, they won't gain much progress until they quest some more. By using the new method of brutality, newbies could gain progress through other activities without being limited by their combat brute.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Sharn
Expert

Re: Separating General and Combat Exp in terms of Brute

Post by Sharn » 03 Mar 2011 09:04

I like it :)
I do not think it would increase player size - maybe just those, that prefer forging / herbing to combat.
It would allow players to earn experience in other means then combat, which is good.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/