The gladiators.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Davvol
Veteran

Re: The gladiators.

Post by Davvol » 23 Mar 2011 22:32

I suggest to merge mercs code into gladiators. So, just add adapt in more limited version to gladiators, but keep the theme of slave warriors and other. and close mercs.
Old mercs was great. They rocked. New one - kinda free-to-join fighter guild without roleplay, flavour and lore. Just way to get sup guru defence, weapon, parry and two-handed. Anf junky special. I preffer gladiators with adapt. Like 20-40 points of adaption for any combat skills after sup guru quest and sup vet in swords, axes and polearms. all rest should be like now.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 24 Mar 2011 03:28

I suggest you keep your hands off the mercs!
It's the only guild I know of who allowes anyone to join, without regards to whether you've made yourself hated by the whole world or are too dumb/lazy to do tasks or quests to join. Is it really that bad to have a guild without a rigid selection system, slow application process and a demand that you spend a lot of time/effort to learn how to act in accordance to guild rules? If someone is poor at roleplaying, should he/she be forced to play guildless?
If nothing else, mercs a nice stepping stone for new players who want to be able to improve themselves while learning about other guilds and before deciding where they want to really belong. Or while waiting for their chosen guild to decide whether to accept them or not.
Only 54? I'm coming up to 110 days...
(and from what I've heard, many guilds are a lot slower than the one talked about in that quote).

The easiness of joining apparently has branded Mercs as a crappy guild, and naturally it will attract people who fail to get accepted by other, more noble, guilds. But some of us have actively chosen to join this guild, for other reasons than the easiness of joining.

Sure, if you feel Mercs are overpowered, remove the possibility to adapt to fighting skills if you like - I don't give a rat's ass about that. Or limit it to 10 points for those skills. But the idea of being able to specialize on different non-combat skills, try different settings and see how things change, that made mercs my first choice from the beginning. And they have no rule against role playing - even serious roleplayers are allowed to join.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 24 Mar 2011 07:53

Booger wrote:I suggest you keep your hands off the mercs!
It's the only guild I know of who allowes anyone to join, without regards to whether you've made yourself hated by the whole world or are too dumb/lazy to do tasks or quests to join. Is it really that bad to have a guild without a rigid selection system, slow application process and a demand that you spend a lot of time/effort to learn how to act in accordance to guild rules? If someone is poor at roleplaying, should he/she be forced to play guildless?

Glads dont have any sort of joining system :P And they have alot less hell getting the skills, only difference is that they can only use axes and hurt alot more :P

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 24 Mar 2011 10:23

Booger wrote: The easiness of joining apparently has branded Mercs as a crappy guild, and naturally it will attract people who fail to get accepted by other, more noble, guilds. But some of us have actively chosen to join this guild, for other reasons than the easiness of joining.
What has branded Mercs as a crappy guild is complete lack of theme and special attack that doesn't do damage (and the fact they made Cadets empty specifically because of no joining requirements).
And most people join Mercs because of 2 reasons: roleplaying their racial/layman, it is hard to roleplay a slave/they don't like axes.

I've said it before and I will say it again:
1. Maligant's Mercenaries were 10x cooler/better than the current ones (at least they had some fluff to them, and some cool features).
2. Gladiators are 10x cooler/better than the current Mercs.
3. Current Mercs have interesting adaptation skill but that's it. And they shouldn't be able to adapt ANYTHING to sup guru. Sup master should be sufficient and more suitable to the 'jack of all trades' guild, where you know all skills but are guru of none.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 24 Mar 2011 15:21

The current Mercenary guild is like a blank piece of paper.
Therefore it is peculiar when some people complain that the paper sucks, because it doesn't have a pretty drawing on it, all the while ignoring the fact that each and every player is equipped with a crayon of his/her own.

The Mercenaries doesn't have a lot of hard-coded lore, and exactly therefore it is the guild with the most freedom to design their characters own lore.
You have the "align-to-OCC guilds" system in the Mercenaries, you have the option to hide your titles to enable your character to better focus on roleplaying a Layman or Race guild, and you don't have any special set of skills that predetermines your character and so forth.

The Gladiators does not, at all, serve the same purpose. A member of the Gladiators is a pet that is condemned to fight, kill and die in the arena as entertainment for King Kalak.
If you were supposed to actually play that role, you'd be confined to only a few locations in the entire game.

I think it's important to keep the option that the current Mercenary guild gives, in terms of defining your characters own lore & role.

That doesn't mean that the Gladiators and the Mercenary guild couldn't be expanded with new features, mind you.

EDIT: Edited the post to make it easier to read/understand.
Last edited by Makfly on 24 Mar 2011 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 24 Mar 2011 16:38

So make people able to buy slaves?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 27 Mar 2011 14:07

Rhaegar wrote:
Booger wrote: The easiness of joining apparently has branded Mercs as a crappy guild, and naturally it will attract people who fail to get accepted by other, more noble, guilds. But some of us have actively chosen to join this guild, for other reasons than the easiness of joining.
What has branded Mercs as a crappy guild is complete lack of theme and special attack that doesn't do damage (and the fact they made Cadets empty specifically because of no joining requirements).
And most people join Mercs because of 2 reasons: roleplaying their racial/layman, it is hard to roleplay a slave/they don't like axes.

I've said it before and I will say it again:
1. Maligant's Mercenaries were 10x cooler/better than the current ones (at least they had some fluff to them, and some cool features).
2. Gladiators are 10x cooler/better than the current Mercs.
3. Current Mercs have interesting adaptation skill but that's it. And they shouldn't be able to adapt ANYTHING to sup guru. Sup master should be sufficient and more suitable to the 'jack of all trades' guild, where you know all skills but are guru of none.

And ill say it again...

opinions are like assholes...
Everyone has one...
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 27 Mar 2011 14:11

One thing i agree on regarding mercs though.
The special is way too weak..

That is easy to fix though.
Keep the special as it is when using weapon and shield.
Do 2x damage when using a two handed weapon.
And when wielding two weapons then give it a double hit(One with each weapon)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 27 Mar 2011 14:43

amberlee wrote:One thing i agree on regarding mercs though.
The special is way too weak..

That is easy to fix though.
Keep the special as it is when using weapon and shield.
Do 2x damage when using a two handed weapon.
And when wielding two weapons then give it a double hit(One with each weapon)

Amber has a very very good point, surprising considering the source :)
And we might want to give them some spells? Magical mercenary would be kewl :)
What spells they use vary on what they have specialized in?

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 27 Mar 2011 17:14

Mattack is perfect.
1. It works without weapon
2. It has very low reset time
3. It can be critical
4. looks like it depends on guildstat, and probablilty of crit depends on it also (that my IMHO, but i have some statstics on it)

So, when i was merc-templar i was able to kill shadow elf unarmed, having combats just epics.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/