A challenge to you wizards!

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Laurel

Re: A challenge to you wizards!

Post by Laurel » 31 Mar 2011 19:08

Makfly wrote:Just to make sure I'm up to date - What constitutes smallfries these days?
surely not:
Davvol wrote:I was just-becoming-champ. Hobbit, with titanic STR, immotal dex and epic con.
:lol: ;)

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 31 Mar 2011 19:14

I am close to advancing to dimwitted.. constitutes as smallfry in my book :D

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 31 Mar 2011 19:40

As much as it seems like a great idea, I really won't be doing this. The reason, in my case, is that I am too susceptible to corruption when I do this. Back in 1997, I was Liege of Gondor, and still very much in love with playing the game as a mortal. I just couldn't make the clean break to being a pure wizard. So, I created a new character, got him into the Morgul Mages, and ended up doing all sorts of stupid things that give the wizard world the terrible reputation it enjoys. Even after that mortal was gone, the pull of "playing" the game was still too strong in my thoughts, and corruption continued. I ended up meddling in council affairs in the Morgul Mage guild, and it resulted in a total meltdown that cost the game two amazing wizards (Elessar and Gnadnar) and had me drug out as an example and reprimanded on the Common Board by none other than the Keeper himself! After quitting Genesis (the typical huff) for a year, I returned, slowly and quietly coded in a new corner of the world (Emerald) under an excellent Liege Shiva, and relearned the game from a purely wizarding point of view. Guess what? Things are SO MUCH BETTER when you are wizard without trying to also play the game. Why? Because you can check corruption at the door and just focus on what you think is actually good for the game rather than what is good for you when you play the game, or your friends who play the game.

Since the millenium, I don't give favors.
I don't share wiz-info with non wizards.
I don't preference situations to help one faction over the other.
I don't do anything for anyone that I consider inconsistent with the rules.

Truly, I see myself as close to corruption-free as I am able to be (humanity causing me to be just as fallible as the next guy, so one can't ever honestly say 100% is achieved.)

If you wanted me to go down and suddenly play a guild, guess what you'd get? You'd get a totally and horribly corrupt wizard structure from the top down all over again. I'd probably make all sorts of new emotional ties to certain players and have all sorts of stupid things going on. You can already probably name (fairly accurately) this or that wizard you already feel is guilty of this from Genesis history.

So ... no. It might seem like a good idea, Amberlee, but there is simply no idea that is worse. Not one.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 31 Mar 2011 20:17

Freya wrote:Lets be honest, any titan with herbs and enough spare weapons can take down shadow-elves.

titan is an overkill!

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 31 Mar 2011 20:37

Gorb, imo its a really good idea since it seems that some wizards have lost the game completely and/or are missreading alot of the code, you should get one of the AoB to try out some of the guilds that you have "balanced" so to spear from a players point of view. Try them from nothing and try getting gear etc, some guilds have become alot better (bda, knights, Neidar and calians for instance) However AA are close to worthless, neidar for instance can take ALOT more damage and despite what people believe they do hurt, I fought Logg the other day, you cant put a dent in him and he will mess you up. But you all claim its balanced etc when balance is so far off due to you all having tested everything in "controlled" enviroments.

And alot of guilds seem to have gotten a MUCH bigger upgrade than others, the only way to really test stuff is to actually try them out, looking in the file and say that stuff works properly aint balancing -.- Testing stuff and then tweaking is.

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 31 Mar 2011 20:40

Agree with Draugor and Amberlee here... I even suggested it a few months ago to Gorboth and Petros.

I'm sure the majority of things are "Tested" up in the wizard world in set ups but I feel those are fairly inaccurate representations. Players minds work in the way to get the best advantage, and a lot of times those things get missed in the testing of guilds and such to check for power.

And yea Draugor.. Logg did f*** you up real fast. What was it one crush took you 3 levels?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 31 Mar 2011 21:01

Agreed with Ilrahil, Draugor and Amberlee on this one.

If it's consistent that certain melee guilds greatly underperforms vs others recent upgraded guilds, perhaps factors and calculations in the simulated testbeds are offscale?

If a guild constantly underperforms vs similar ones, yet are labeled as 'equal' in power, the statistics may reveal a flaw(s) somewhere in the equation(s). Could be mathematical errors, or in the setups....even wizards are fallible there.

I've stopped believing guilds such as AA stand any chance vs other recently recoded guilds. The indicators points just one way from all the ingame tests I've seen, something that should not happen if it truly was in equilibrium (or close to).

Something don't feel right.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 31 Mar 2011 21:07

Not to mention I don't buy that you test every occtupational guild with every possible laymen guild combo out there. And the comment of if the laymens are balanced and the OCC are balanced then any combination will be balanced, because certain laymen guilds are better for certain guilds and vice versa.

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 31 Mar 2011 21:10

I hate to say but I agree with Gorboth ;) It sounds like a good idea, but it isn't really.

It's damn too easy to cross the line if you play a mortal and a wizards. It was proven many times in past :P

been there, done that ;)

Ilrahil

Post by Ilrahil » 31 Mar 2011 21:28

Tive wrote:I hate to say but I agree with Gorboth ;) It sounds like a good idea, but it isn't really.

It's damn too easy to cross the line if you play a mortal and a wizards. It was proven many times in past :P

been there, done that ;)
I agree with it being easy to cross, but I think something needs to be done about the gap between mortals and wizards. And I don't really have any other suggestions. At the moment its just if you think there is a balance problem its seen as whining, when in all actuality it more than likely is a more serious problem.

I remember speaking to Lilith after Mergula was reopened and I solo'd him as a monk. She tested him against 10-12 shadow-elves all with runies and he beat them into the ground. She didn't factor in that he could be stunned and taken down easily and it was quickly changed.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/