Mercenary Layman

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Do you think adding a mercenary layman branch is a good idea?

Yes it is!
55%
No I dont think so.
45%

Total votes: 33

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Mercenary Layman

Post by gorboth » 25 Apr 2011 21:12

One of the main ideas behind the Merc guild when it was recoded was actually the opposite of what is being suggested here. The Merc guild is supposed to boost your layman guild's abilities through occ skill enchancement options. Thus, it can make you a more powerful Necro if you want to boost some of your spell abilities, etc. etc.

We're not going to do layman mercs.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 25 Apr 2011 21:15

gorboth wrote:One of the main ideas behind the Merc guild when it was recoded was actually the opposite of what is being suggested here. The Merc guild is supposed to boost your layman guild's abilities through occ skill enchancement options. Thus, it can make you a more powerful Necro if you want to boost some of your spell abilities, etc. etc.

G.

Boooo! :P Layman mercs you slacker!

Tried the Merc/necro stuff once, and the lightnings didnt do nead enough damage to be considered boosted :P But then again, they arent to good to begin with

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 25 Apr 2011 21:30

gorboth wrote:One of the main ideas behind the Merc guild when it was recoded was actually the opposite of what is being suggested here. The Merc guild is supposed to boost your layman guild's abilities through occ skill enchancement options. Thus, it can make you a more powerful Necro if you want to boost some of your spell abilities, etc. etc.

G.
If that's the case, then in the eventual recodes of layman guilds, please make sure that the abilities given by layman guilds actually get a noticable increase in efficiency, with the skill increase that OCC Mercs can provide.
Today it does not always seem to be the case.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 25 Apr 2011 21:33

Voted yes.. but could be kinda cool if they brought Block back, or am i just dreaming here.. I mean layman block and a kinda weapon special by choise to sup whatever.. a neutral AA layman.. so if you want AA kinda(perhaps coded a bit different)layman special, with out any attatchment to east or west.. its a good idea. more options.

Ive suggested they make the blademasters in to weapon masters for all to join.. but never really heard anything about it..? sure there are neutral laymans, 1 pirates.. hmm what if you dont like to play a pirate... Ohh Minoes... Well... i dont want to use horn.. ehhew. a cow.. And i like using an axe.. hmmm.... templ..no, they eint neutral.. I can still cast spells, but, my character is a gladiator, so spell casting dosnt really suit me... hmmm what then.. Bladema.. Oh no.. swordies.. hmmm.. *lost*

ofc not my char.. But remember the game is about roleplay. in its heart, and not eq and xp.. sure we all like the uber items, but the best nights ive had, has been spending several of hours in an inn talking with friends, planing foul moves, roleplaying.. not grinding.. but back to subject, its cool that laymans are attatched to sertan factions.. or races.. but there need to be more neutral laymans... this will benefit all guilds, and surely my old and beloved Gladiators.

More choises yes.. so make a layman with a weapons skill to use, block, and a kinda mattack. (i miss old trusty mattack.. Har !) and keep the ability with the title stuff :)
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 25 Apr 2011 21:54

G.
Actually when I tested Merc/Necro combo, I didn't notice damage boost from lightnings.
I think Phantom performed these tests too.
Are You sure it helps?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Apr 2011 23:05

G.
I know Gorboth, thats why I thought it would be an excellent idea to have a layman guild thats the opposite. So you can have a layman guild to boost your occupational guild without having to incorporate another roleplay element to your character.

In today's Genesis you really must have a layman in order to compete, and I think its too bad there is for the most part no option to RP only your occupational without having to take part in some other organisation as well. There has been alot of discussion about this lately too, about people joining laymans but then dont care about them and play only their occupational (AA layman for instance), or others who feel torn between two organisations, etc, and the possibily of your occupational guild dragging your layman guild into conflicts as well. I have also heard people complain about how there is no layman that really suits them. Monks and SU's seem to mention this now and then for instance.

What do you say to a player who wants to be a Knight, a Calian, a DA, an Ogre, an SU etc, and only that? I definitely think Genesis needs a completely neutral layman for everyone, where people can use to get some "power" and still be able to focus on only one aspect of RP instead of two.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Apr 2011 23:18

Alorrana:
I like your idea of expanding blademasters, that would also work to fill this gap. "Weaponmasters" instead, or something. So you can join to get a special attack in any weapon / or no weapon. That would also work. The reason I suggested mercs as base was because the guild is already in place and I thought it would be actually possible to implement it without too much effort. but when Gorboth says no its usually no use in arguing.

I really miss being able to be in only ONE guild though. Maybe its because I spent alot of time in knights when they were OCC+Lay and liked being _only_ a knight and nothing more. I dont think a knight/minstrel, knight/valar, knight/militia does not fit very well with knight RP. Luckily they have the Blademasters, but many other guilds dont have any neutral non-RP options at all and have to join some other organisation. One they usually pretend they arent in and dont care about to RP it the slightest, and just use for power.

Pirates is a great example of a guild many evils and neutral players have joined recently and I havent seen anyone RP a pirate in a very long time. They just pretent they arent pirates and simply use it for the power it gives. And most likely because they dont have that many other choices. Pirates used to be a guild who took RP seriously and a guild you joined because you wanted to RP a pirate. Militia is another guild who is supposed to guard Thornlin and actually have some rules and RP possibilities, but its only used for power as an extension to Calians or Rangers. And many laymans are used this way, I myself do it. Simply because a lack of options. Why not have that guild instead, a guild where you get a power boost and dont have to worry about RP-ing your layman?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Apr 2011 23:25

Wow, I guess this was not very liked after all considering the vote results.

Still none of the 10 no-voters have said why. Except Gorboth, and I do not understand the answer. Yes occupational mercs were made for people to be able to RP their layman and boost them, but you did not say why the opposite is such a bad idea? Just "this will not happen".

Because...?

Why do you all who voted no think its bad? I cant see what would be bad about it, I can just see positive things about such a guild. What am I missing?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 Apr 2011 23:47

Maybe add a layman of the mercs for the mercs aswell?
To give back our beloved old shield block :p
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 26 Apr 2011 14:07

I cant see why this idea is voted down..Its a good one and I support it.

Gorboth: Your intentions are not working, as it is now you cant boost your layman guild since they are capped.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/