Population gap

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Re: Population gap

Post by Zestana » 03 May 2011 07:46

As a smaller member of the realms, I've teamed with both small and big players so far.

The larger players certainly travel from what I've seen to places that younger ones cannot hunt in. I'm unsure of how the experience system is exactly designed but when with Hektor earlier I noticed I was getting experience for orcs I could not assist on. We switched locales to a place I was able to aid with, but I wonder if one should get xp for npc's they cannot assist on solely because they are in a team.

As to the population gap, I have found help from both large and small players. I am sure I haven't joined any major xp squads (aside from with salaboa and alorrana! That xp came crazy fast!) but so far I've found the people I see online on a day to day basis provided they aren't idle are extremely helpful and willing to give someone new a look around or help with growth or killing certain things.

Insert: Huge shoutout to Hektor earlier for helping me with some stuff!

So in summation, from a smaller players perspective, I've found while most are quite larger than me, its not apparent in the playstyle of most I've met to ignore smaller characters. If anything I feel quite welcomed to the atmosphere (from PM's on the forum I joined,) or simple aid offered even from unlikely RP style characteristics to assist me while I grow.

If the players, as I have seen, are willing to do this the gap between large and small is not as consequential.

On a different note though, I am a member of the mercenaries which is quite neutral. If I was a member of the knights and actively engaged in PvP (Does this exist in Genesis on a popular basis? Most games I'd have been attacked by now at some point which is why I ask.) I might find the gap between players way more significant.

But from a neutral guild perspective I so far have seen no issues.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 03 May 2011 07:54

Zestana wrote: On a different note though, I am a member of the mercenaries which is quite neutral. If I was a member of the knights and actively engaged in PvP (Does this exist in Genesis on a popular basis? Most games I'd have been attacked by now at some point which is why I ask.) I might find the gap between players way more significant.

But from a neutral guild perspective I so far have seen no issues.
Oh... its there :) Just ask Earth or Arcon how much fun we have on the plains :) Or Logg for that matter.
Its a bit toned down atm tho, not sure if to many other than me are hunting knights atm. But hey, theyre knights, they know the dragonarmies are in conflict with them so... if yer a knight and expect someone not to attack you just cause you've made a retarded "I will quit if I am attacked" statement... good riddance, dont be in a pvp oriented guild then.

So to sum it up. Some guilds have more or less areas of attack. I will attack any knight or Neidar I meet on the plains, but can act civilized on most areas when they arent around the plains for example. Me and Logg tend to stand in Kalaman and babble on about nothing, only to have him chase me of the plains 30 minutes later. Thats something I wish to convey to Earth and Arcon aswell.
If I scry you, dont run to the guild unless yer on my plains, I aint going to charge you for killing shit in ME or for running around in Flotsam -.- Unless you do something really silly like attack one of my officers or soldiers. Again, attack them on the plains and I consider it fair, as it is an area of conflict. Hell I'd be dissapointed if you didnt come and fight me alittle when I am doing outpost (seriously you need to visit often, people are dying there)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 May 2011 12:33

amberlee wrote:Well a problem with an influx of players is.. Genesis mob grinding isnt designed for more then 2 groups of 4 people running around..
Maybe 3 if people kill very slowly..

Uh, those new players wont be legends and myths in a long time. So they'll not compete with your grinding grounds.

And besides, we are spoiled today. Back when we were 100+ players you were happy to find Dragonarmy guards in Flotsam alive. Forcing players to kill something other than Terel/Mithas/Qali is imho a very good thing. More competition also reduces the speed of growth, and makes player explore other areas to find other mobs to slay with less competition.

So even if we should get more players I do not think we should add more premium killing grounds so everyone can keep having their own unlimited XP. Like people have today.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 03 May 2011 12:39

Cherek wrote:
amberlee wrote:Well a problem with an influx of players is.. Genesis mob grinding isnt designed for more then 2 groups of 4 people running around..
Maybe 3 if people kill very slowly..

Uh, those new players wont be legends and myths in a long time. So they'll not compete with your grinding grounds.

And besides, we are spoiled today. Back when we were 100+ players you were happy to find Dragonarmy guards in Flotsam alive. Forcing players to kill something other than Terel/Mithas/Qali is imho a very good thing. More competition also reduces the speed of growth, and makes player explore other areas to find other mobs to slay with less competition.

So even if we should get more players I do not think we should add more premium killing grounds so everyone can keep having their own unlimited XP. Like people have today.

No, it makes people quit since there is nothing for them to do, explore areas? Thats done in no time, and we have alot of areas that are completely useless, Khalakhor for example :P Some herbs, none unique and usefull from what I know, and blademasters, no special shop for some nifty items, no grinding grounds, no gear whatsoever thats worth piss. Gear today is silly btw, only top notch stuff is good, I remember when Viridians sword was considered damn nice.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 May 2011 12:46

Draugor: I meant explore other areas to kill things in. Maybe team up to do Ice Wall instead. Or lower your standards a bit and kill "decent" mobs, simply because there is less competition compared to the best areas. Use decent Eq instead of always the absolute best. Etc.

We used to have a world like that. I cant see why it would not work again? Its kinda funny though that you say if we get MORE players you think the old players will quit, because there is too much people around...? Well... I can live with that. Considering I think alot more quit because there is not enough people to play with.

Dont you think you might have other positive aspects of new players? Perhaps you will spend more time working with your guild? RPing? PVPing? Instead of just grinding more and more even though you are already myth (by that time you will be)?

I think the problem will solve itself without the needs for more myth-grinder areas. I do not think our world needs any new content before we hit an average of atleast 100 players awake. Which will take alot of time, if ever.

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 03 May 2011 12:56

Cherek wrote:Draugor: I meant explore other areas to kill things in. Maybe team up to do Ice Wall instead. Or lower your standards a bit and kill "decent" mobs, simply because there is less competition compared to the best areas. Use decent Eq instead of always the absolute best. Etc.

We used to have a world like that. I cant see why it would not work again? Its kinda funny though that you say if we get MORE players you think the old players will quit, because there is too much people around...? Well... I can live with that. Considering I think alot more quit because there is not enough people to play with.

Dont you think you might have other positive aspects of new players? Perhaps you will spend more time working with your guild? RPing? PVPing? Instead of just grinding more and more even though you are already myth (by that time you will be)?

I think the problem will solve itself without the needs for more myth-grinder areas. I do not think our world needs any new content before we hit an average of atleast 100 players awake. Which will take alot of time, if ever.

For people to use "decent" stuff we need to have atleast half of the mega uber gear removed. Ance Icewall is nice xp its just to damn annoying getting there and its somewhat dangerous. Personally I'd love the game to go back to what it was back in 01ish when I started.

And yea, I aint myth panic grinding, I am grinding when I have nothing to do, RPing whenever I run into someone that actually has an interest in it. And I if anyone pvp, problem is that Arcon and Earth run as soon as they see my skull. Thing is, if we dont do something to make those mythgrinders stay we're gonna end up with 4 people online, and THAT will deffo attract players eh? And no, we dont need more areas, we need the guildrecodes to be finished sometime this century, thats whats making alot of people unwilling to play, do kenders have any reason to play when they cant do shit? Do the PoT whom suffers from a horrible lack of leadership and power?

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 03 May 2011 14:43

I think the new players that come to the game should be Great adventures when then enter the world.. xp wise not in title.. but the you have the stats to actually try something, and able to kill a rat with out getting powned badly.. then for those new chars lower the q modifyers so they equal up to what ever is suitable..

Infact anything below GA is quite a pain to play, you really cant do nothing alone, and you require help all the time, sure some of us old guys can make it easily, but for a new commer leving newbie land as a beginner or lower, is simply to hard..

I know this will make people flame in terror and say its cheating and a bad idea and what not.. but in general.. times change.. so should genesis to keep up.

Just my cents.. Flame on !
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 May 2011 15:28

Have you created a char recently Alorrana? You're far from helpless. Tutorial world have mobs you can kill and quests you can manage alone. You'll enter the real world a beginner or a big greenhorne with some basic skills, and there are a bunch of mobs you can kill alone and money to be made, especially now with the newbie dungeon.

I think new players can actually manage pretty well these days, even alone. Much better than we could when we started. Not saying things could not improve, but I dont think there is a need for all new players to enter as GA and miss out on all the new fun stuff for newbies.

Yeah you cant go off killing big stuff, or do the big quests. But you arent supposed to either...

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 03 May 2011 16:03

Ehhr no.. both of my chars where before the newbie land.. so really cant tell. but i just remember in my days as a newbie, if there wasnt anyone around to help me, i didnt really care playing.. Im not saying they should miss out the cool newbie stuff either. but i still think your way way to small when entering the world as a whole..

but from beginner to myth, wich is the new bench mark, its a L-O-N-G way.. so thats why i think they should be a bit bigger when comming in to the world.. :)

Just a suggestion to make the gap smaller...
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 03 May 2011 16:47

Aloranna -- I recommend you try the tutorial with a new character.. I think you're impressions of starting off in Genesis will be much different than they were long ago. Unless you've tried it and have seen the differences... I think its unfair to criticize or demand changes to be made. If once trying it.. you still feel the way you do.. you can perhaps at that point give more constructive critique of what changes should be made based on the current situation.

I really think with the Tutorial, New Sparkle Tours and Quests... it really gives players a good starting and welcome into the Genesis. And by the time they complete those areas.. they will have likely have used the ntell line or communicated on some level with the other players in the game.. giving them the opportunities to get the help they need for areas beyond that when they are ready.

Not to say that some adjustments still couldn't be made to make it better.. but just demanding change doesn't help. i think we need to address the question as : What changes specifically for new players would be helpful based on the current situation. Again -- you need to experience for yourself the current environment that new players go through.. and then ask that question.

I know my biggest thing is a guide as to what quests/tours to do next. Sparkle Orbs help some... but I think we need more than just that. However -- I have talked to G about this point and I already know some thoughts have been made towards addressing this issue.

So based on the above... What else do you think is lacking to get new players hooked?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/