Death penalty adjustment needed

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arcon

Re: Death penalty adjustment needed

Post by Arcon » 17 May 2011 15:16

I think that the current titan level is a good place to make into the new"champ". Not too far away but still needs some work for a newbies. They are useful and will dare to assist against most things(unless they are gobbos :twisted: )

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 17 May 2011 15:24

Perhaps a radical idea, but....if you removed the mortal size string on wholist and introduction, and kept it optional or private,(and made compare stats vs x function differently or obsolete), small and big players would actually be more unsure about who or if to assault someone since the true strength/size would be entirely masked. A "myth" would do a few more considerations vs a wanderer target, and would have to gamble slightly, adding more mystique to the game.

Also, you could use only the mortal statlevels as "progressionbars", that is kept private to the player so he/she don't loose the feeling of progression.

I'd rather play in a game where I find a <insert description of a player here>, who I need to further examine/evaluate before I even unleash an attack, instead of just base it on a mortal level-string.

Feels more realistic and becomes more tense, I believe.

A similar feeling I get when a gamemaster (pen&paper) actually describes what breaks through the door. Instead of just saying: "A zombie breaks through the door. Roll initiative.", the gamemaster takes his time and describes how the door splinters up, and the actual appearance of what is coming through, with all its gruesome details. Still, even after the description has been laid out, the gamemaster do the tiny little clever thing to actually never reveal the true nature of the thing, so from appearance, it _could_ be anything from a zombie, zombie lord, various versions, ghasts and wights, and the only way for me to actually know is to start fighting it and see how it behaves.

I miss this mystique in Genesis, and if players needed to actually fight their opponents to reveal their true actual strength, Genesis would be in my opinion a far better game, separating us more from the WoW Roll-game.

And, such a chance would be a minimal effort to actually put in the game for any wizard.

2 coppers.
Last edited by Kas on 17 May 2011 15:37, edited 2 times in total.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 17 May 2011 15:30

Sounds great! I like it.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 17 May 2011 15:35

Nice idea Kas.

The problem is how we are supposed to check for "newbies"(or a lot smaller people) before attacking.
You see someone of your enemy guild, your appraise skill is so low that you don't even try to use it, you just attack and BAM two hits and he dies.
That is something none of us wants to see.

edit: I stand corrected, it is something no one but Laurel wants to see :twisted:
Last edited by Arcon on 17 May 2011 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 May 2011 15:37

arcon wrote:you just attack and BAM two hits and he dies.
That is something none of us wants to see.
I do, but there's no such tiny MMs :roll:

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 17 May 2011 15:40

Well, actually, you can put safeguards against certain sizes. Let's say you put safeguards against anyone under certain size. you will get a second confirmationprompt with a warning that the player is actually a "newbie". You can still kill it, you just need to confirm it.

Or, you get a warningprompt if a player is X levels under you in size.

I'd rather be mystified about a person I meet in the game than judge directly by the green highlighted text <Myth> that levitates above the head of a player as a warningsign.

Laurel, I'm "tiny". ;)
Last edited by Kas on 17 May 2011 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 17 May 2011 15:42

Sounds good, no one seems to care anyway of the good old unwritten rule of not attacking someone two mortal levels lower then you.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 17 May 2011 15:46

arcon wrote:Sounds good, no one seems to care anyway of the good old unwritten rule of not attacking someone two mortal levels lower then you.
Something that don't really work, and if it happens, there are no consequenses anyway.

Rohim
Wizard

Post by Rohim » 17 May 2011 16:01

avatar wrote:The biggest mistakes ever made by the admin in Genesis were the stat change, which was the main reason for me stopping to play religiously, and the change of mortal levels.

After they changed the mortal levels, everyone were, more or less, forced into a grinding frenzy. I know it is said that it's to late to reverse it, but I disagree.

We're trying to lure new players into the game. Why not let them start playing on better terms than we're playing at right now? Why not let them have the old system, where Champion was the max level.

No one knew how big you were, when you hit champion. It encouraged more player fighting, as people thought they were all badasses once they hit champion etc.

Just saying.

Not to late.

Since I was quite involved in the implementation of the stat changes I must unfortunately agree. At the time we had problem with players outgrowing npcs, which was a major pain since the huge brutal orc kind of died on one hit. The time to recode would have been immense.

So we settled for a function where you would always gain something from exp, but still put an effective cap on the stats. What we didn't realise was that making things harder made people push even harder towards their goal. This pattern can be observed at other places like WoW as well. Paired with more detailed level information it was like putting a red flag in front of the players.

I think:
- Letting players grow is not that big of a deal. Beeing big and mighty is a fitting reward for a long career. We can always make a few boss mobs stay out of reach from one player.
- Removing the detailed epic levels would turn the focus away from size.
- Making the exp to stats function more linear with a heavy dampening at the end (where a player is indeed big and mighty) would make the game more relaxed.

/Rohim

Titan

Post by Avatar » 17 May 2011 16:14

rohim wrote:
avatar wrote:The biggest mistakes ever made by the admin in Genesis were the stat change, which was the main reason for me stopping to play religiously, and the change of mortal levels.

After they changed the mortal levels, everyone were, more or less, forced into a grinding frenzy. I know it is said that it's to late to reverse it, but I disagree.

We're trying to lure new players into the game. Why not let them start playing on better terms than we're playing at right now? Why not let them have the old system, where Champion was the max level.

No one knew how big you were, when you hit champion. It encouraged more player fighting, as people thought they were all badasses once they hit champion etc.

Just saying.

Not to late.

Since I was quite involved in the implementation of the stat changes I must unfortunately agree. At the time we had problem with players outgrowing npcs, which was a major pain since the huge brutal orc kind of died on one hit. The time to recode would have been immense.

So we settled for a function where you would always gain something from exp, but still put an effective cap on the stats. What we didn't realise was that making things harder made people push even harder towards their goal. This pattern can be observed at other places like WoW as well. Paired with more detailed level information it was like putting a red flag in front of the players.

I think:
- Letting players grow is not that big of a deal. Beeing big and mighty is a fitting reward for a long career. We can always make a few boss mobs stay out of reach from one player.
- Removing the detailed epic levels would turn the focus away from size.
- Making the exp to stats function more linear with a heavy dampening at the end (where a player is indeed big and mighty) would make the game more relaxed.

/Rohim
If only you knew how happy your post makes. I'm getting happier and happier with the fact that I returned to the game again.

Are you stating/insinuating that a kind of reversal would not be totally impossible to imagine for the future?
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/