Surnames

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Surnames

Post by Fourtcoer » 27 Jun 2011 17:29

I would love to see the Krynn racial guild turned into a club that simply allows one to claim a surname rather than the registry taking up the racial guild slot.

I don't see any in-character reason why a character should not be able to take a Krynnish name and also, for example, be a Traveler or a member of the Order of Thanar. Or, for example my character was invited to join a Dunedain House due to marriage, yet I had to give up my Krynnish surname, and there's really no game mechanics reason that should be required, since my surname affiliation did not give me any guild benefits.

Now, of course, if someone becomes a minotaur or a hobgoblin, this should negate one's eligibility to join standard human/goblin/etc. racial guilds unless those guildmasters specifically permit it.

Makfly
Champion

Re: Surnames

Post by Makfly » 27 Jun 2011 23:57

They should make Gnomes able to have surnames too, after all Krynn gnomes have surnames (lots of them!).
I can only wear my surname when in goblin form, which is a shame, I think. So if it'd made possible to join a club to get a Krynnish surname, even when being a gnome, that would be mighty fine.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 29 Jun 2011 01:27

Besides an actual name.. is there any other skills base gained through this racial guild? Would it make sense to either give a skill set
or make this guild into a club or registry instead?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 29 Jun 2011 02:11

No actual skills. Actually far fewer emotes than most clubs.

It would be difficult to assign skills, I think, as it is not really a functional guild in any way. It is just a room at the library where you can claim a surname and hometown in Krynn.

I wouldn't mind seeing similar last name registries in other domains, actually, but I don't think it has reasonable claim to the racial guild slot.

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 29 Jun 2011 06:19

Making the Krynnish racial into a club is actually kind of a cool idea - you could even expand the theme beyond Krynn and say its some kind of scholarly geneological association (or something less boring).

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 28 Aug 2011 23:48

This messes things up because some other racial guilds also give surnames.

But I definitely think it's odd that it's the only guild that doesn't grant any skills or abilities. Maybe just give them some skills and a training room?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 07 Sep 2011 06:21

I think those guild that give surnames already could be not allowed to join as they already give a name. That should be fine seeing as its only purpose is for last names and it gives no skills.

Lunatari
Wizard

Post by Lunatari » 15 Sep 2011 14:21

As already stated, they other racial guilds could pose a problem.

This could always be sorted though.

I could look at this if enough people would be interested.

This could however demand that the title system got an update to support some kind of surname thing and only allow it if a racial guild is not present.

Perhaps an option to show surname or racial name.
Sensei Lunatari the Royal Assassin and Dedicated Apprentice of Gorboth

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/