Time based recovery

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Anahita
Adventurer

Re: Time based recovery

Post by Anahita » 28 Jun 2011 19:43

arcon wrote:we are not talking about making it easier for myths, I am all for making it harder for them. We are talking about making it easier for people that do not like grinding to recover.
You dont become a myth without spending many hours grinding. I can't imagine doing that if you don't enjoy it, and so I'm not terribly sympathetic to myths having to do more of what they are already so good at anyway. I'm more concerned about those people who, as mentioned in the initial post, are only occasional players and for whom a death would take ages to recover from, and would therfore be much more dramatic.

So, thats why I say, a month to recover for a myth is too short, but two would make it worth the effort to kill them. (Hopefully twice.) :twisted:

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 28 Jun 2011 19:56

Anahita wrote:
arcon wrote:we are not talking about making it easier for myths, I am all for making it harder for them. We are talking about making it easier for people that do not like grinding to recover.
You dont become a myth without spending many hours grinding. I can't imagine doing that if you don't enjoy it, and so I'm not terribly sympathetic to myths having to do more of what they are already so good at anyway. I'm more concerned about those people who, as mentioned in the initial post, are only occasional players and for whom a death would take ages to recover from, and would therfore be much more dramatic.

So, thats why I say, a month to recover for a myth is too short, but two would make it worth the effort to kill them. (Hopefully twice.) :twisted:

So we agree then, Good. 2 months for myths unless they grind. And slightly lower for each level under.

Alorrana
Myth

Re: Recovery options = more wars :D

Post by Alorrana » 28 Jun 2011 20:15

Tarax the Terrible wrote:Sounds like someone is having player fighting remorse
Whats Remorse..?? :twisted:

Nah only doing this to make it a fair game for all and equally fun, and its not to help the myths or biggies, a Hero playing 2 hrs pr week will still take a hell of a long time to recover in death. And seriously everything above a month is wacked.. its a game people.. needs to be fun.. 2 monts.. then we are back to what people are complaining about.. One month max. and down from there.. depending on size and online time clocked in.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 Jun 2011 22:02

Anahita wrote:

The fight alone is worth the effort, without even scoring a kill.
Because that is what a lot of people enjoy.
More so than grinding etc.
To see a lot more wars were more people join if without fear of screwing up their character for months to come would be good.
Sort of like wizdays but via a mechanic that doesn't interrupt normal realms behaviour so much.

After killing anyone most well adjusted players get the feeling "Cool! But Ugh! I hope they don't stop playing now."
Having improved methods for recovery to reduce the chances of that would be another step in the right direction.

I like the war chest cash idea, even going so far as to protect their corpse from looting.
The way I see it there could be a war with kills on both sides but people jumping straight back into the fight.
Until the losses become too expensive.

Could set a minimum level a guild / alliance of guilds have to save before they can declare war on another faction which is also ready.
Say 6300 platinum in the chest.

Going on the doubling costs.
Death Cost Total
1 100 100
2 200 300
3 400 700
4 800 1500
5 1600 3100
6 3200 6300
7 6400 12700
8 12800 25500
9 25600 51100
10 51200 102300

The insta recovery would be optional.
Therefore if a veteran dies and the faction can get them recovered with team grinding in a day they might not take the hit.
But when champions die they use the war chest etc

But make it the recovery option cannot be used until the other before them have recovered.
So if a myth dies and of course says "insta recover me now I am a myth!"
The system says "Wait your turn! The other members of the faction have to recover first"
Forces the faction to help them recover fast by normal means if they want to save the cash.
(Also makes the killing of smaller players count less in a war situation, your not going to win the war killing the small targets)

I think about 5 deaths on each side is about average for the wars I saw in the past.
Before they call it quits and write a new peace treaty etc.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 Jun 2011 22:17

I am curious what the Circlings think..
Since they are involved in a lot of wars.

Dirty War-mongers that they are.

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 28 Jun 2011 23:00

If every next change is to minimalize death penalty further and furhter, why not remove it all alone? Death was supposed to hurt on Genesis. This is nothing else, but even increasing the stat/eq/xp/lack of grind zones inflation.

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 28 Jun 2011 23:21

Tarax the Terrible wrote:I am curious what the Circlings think..

You just quoted and responded to me. So, see above.

- Anahita, Dirty War-monger, SCoP

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 Jun 2011 00:11

Anahita wrote:
Tarax the Terrible wrote:I am curious what the Circlings think..

You just quoted and responded to me. So, see above.

- Anahita, Dirty War-monger, SCoP
I know you are a Shadow bender, curious about the rest, some of whom this is quite relevant to atm.

Strider
Adept

Risk vs. Reward - Thanks For The Expirience

Post by Strider » 29 Jun 2011 00:27

Targun wrote:Death was supposed to hurt on Genesis.
Why is death supposed to hurt in Genesis?

Is there any reason that characters shouldn't simply grow and grow? Is there any excitement without some element of risk? Is there any utility to having characters ever regress?

Should there be any differentiation or benefit to those who have the skills and/or the luck to not have their characters die, over those players who are lacking? Should it merely be enough to put in your time, or are there some player-level skills that should be rewarded?

Is the calculation any different when it's other players you're losing against? Should there be a penalty for losing a fight that was constructed explicitly to deny you a chance of winning or escaping?

Is it to our communal benefit to have players damaging each other's characters as a general rule? Are there situations where players should be able to inflict greater consequences on each other?
Anahita wrote:Why not encourage people to return by calculating a slow degredation of their brute if they don't log in?
Doesn't that only encourage certain players to be inactive, at least periodically?
Last edited by Strider on 30 Jun 2011 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 Jun 2011 00:34

Targun wrote:If every next change is to minimalize death penalty further and furhter, why not remove it all alone? Death was supposed to hurt on Genesis. This is nothing else, but even increasing the stat/eq/xp/lack of grind zones inflation.
We already have a size limiting mechanic - brute.

There is no mainstream RPG I can think of these days with the penalty as harsh as Genesis for death.
We already made a huge leap in the right direction with death recovery.
I don't want Genesis to be a mainstream vanilla game, and I agree death should be meaningful.

Its simply I wouldn't mind if players had the option for it to hurt your pocket instead of stats.

Also think on this.
There is precedent in the game for avoiding exp loss if you are prepared to pay the plats.
I paid 1000+ plats on leaving the old mercs for zero exp loss. (was no recovery back then and not many money-sinks either)
Glads can avoid their death penalty too, for a price.

As well as guilds / alliances having their war-chests each player could have their own.. "GnomishLifeInsurancePolicy" Genesis TM
Works the same way, same cost structure as above.

So even if one night arriving back from the bar you drunkenly decide to solo the Balrog in a daper set of gasoline embued cloth armours.
When you regain conciousness at the keyboard the next day and find yourself in Deaths waiting room there is a gnomish device there allows you to envoke your insurance policy, slip out a back door and instantly recover. Next insurance policy will be twice as expensive (just like RL car insurance etc). If you didn't buy one in advance it will be 1.5 x the usual price. Could have a per month charge for it or whatever.

After a few weeks (logged on time) of good behaviour and not dying (or at least not using you insurance to avoid death penalty) the cost starts coming down.
And here is the controversial part. A donation of 31 dollars to the promotion fund bribes the gnomes and reduces the counter to the start.
(at which point the vamps would mysterious re-open because it would be good for business :twisted: )

Just some random thoughts.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/