Time based recovery

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alorrana
Myth

Time based recovery

Post by Alorrana » 28 Jun 2011 12:46

Hello.

I was wondering with the new recovery system, does it really work if you play 2-3 times pr week and have a character of semi big size..?

Say if one night s(he) takes part in some player fighting, and having some fun, wich we all love to do. Then 3 days after s(he) logs in again and gets killed for assisting or attacking or what ever the excuse is. It would take Alot of time to recover from that.. with 3-4 hrs of play pr week.
And we can ask us selves is that really fair, is this what we want to offer the players of the game.? I mean, people donate, and make events, and play for hours and hours to help the game and all its players. Why should we then "punish" them for a wreckless night of fun?

If the game had time based recovery it would perhape get some of the old fighters out of the closet and dare wield a sword again. more skirmishes, wars, more players daring to participate in the conflicts. Knowing if they die, they would be recovered in one week. (RL time) insted of needing to grind for months and months..

The recovery system is indeed great now. Its not a whine. but does it work..? thats my question, Many of the myths i hear from simply dont want to die cause the still fear recovering. It simply takes to much time. And thats a bit of a shame.

Another benefit would be the rediculess title boost you get now, Will be gone.. I mean people die, join a guild and then race through the titles, and call them selves leaders of the guild with out actually having done anything for the guild, besides use and fill racks, and grind fast through titles..
With time based recovery you would have to work for your titles again.. and perhaps it could incurrage some of the role play.. we need it. :)

Perhaps even the wizards could figure out some kind of system that calculates how long time you have to wait until the recovery sets in.. Like if you play alot of online hours you would take 10 days (but in those 10 days you could still make xp as normally with out the recovery benefits we have now, so just make normal xp) and then the time the recovery sets in, it would be added to your size. so you could actually grow in the period and still play. Or wait it out.. you chose.

the ones who play less, would then recover faster and so on.. figure out how long many hrs pr week the players are on pr week, then make some smart calculations of the numbers, and figure out how many days ones recovery time is..

It could be shown in the stats. like this.

You have made no measurable progress since you logged in today.
(Your body is still sor and bruised, you have a few days untill your fully recovered)
You are a brilliant and lionhearted irritable impressive female minotaur with
supreme wisdom, dexterity, constitution and strength.
You are extremely uber violent.

And it could be show in ones description, with limps and wounds.. ect ect ?
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Arcon

Re: Time based recovery

Post by Arcon » 28 Jun 2011 13:19

I would also like to see a time based recovery system for the people that don't like to grind. Maybe one month or two to recover fully without killing anything, if you grind it goes of course a lot faster.

I also think that you should not gain any guild xp while you are on recovery. It is insane that you can kill yourself then join a new guild and then pass people that has been member for years.

So to make it short(er) I want to see a time based recovery system and no guild xp while on recovery.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 28 Jun 2011 14:58

arcon wrote:So to make it short(er) I want to see a time based recovery system and no guild xp while on recovery.
Sounds fair to me.
I'd just like to add a small detail...

I think it might be nice, if the recovery time was based off of your size.
So smaller veterans recovered faster than myths for instance.
A month for the baseline level (Titan?) sounds good. Then add/remove in 1 week per level above/below, with a minimum of 1 week real time.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 28 Jun 2011 15:40

A month is perhaps a wee bit to much, people are complaning about the time it takes recovering now as it is.. I would say maximum a months for myths, Legends, 3 weeks. champs 2 weeks, all below a week. And still able to play, but recieve no guild xp..
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Recovery options = more wars :D

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 Jun 2011 16:54

Sounds like someone is having player fighting remorse :twisted:
I was on a little last night and pleased to see a war brewing.
Circlings versus the East round what? Twenty? hehe

This shows me the realms are alive and well.

So yeah it would suck if what many of us think are the greatest of times, wars and chaos ends up causing a few people to fall inactive if they die.
I am in favour of time based recovery.

Or other systems such as group based recovery.
So when someone is on recovery the other members of the team could choose to take no exp and all the teams exp goes to recovery player X to get them back up to power again quickly. That is another dynamic we need to foster, allies helping each other get back to strength. If we make it faster for this to work more the better. Ready for the next conflict.

And yet another one was the idea of a war chest, player contributed cash.
If there is enough money in the chest you can pay for full recovery instantly.
100 plats for the first, then 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 etc.
Gets expensive quickly.
Making war a function of the economy.
When one side gives up because it gets too expensive the war is won/lost and the counter reset for the next time.
It would be a good way to spend 900 plats between 4-5 players going to war eg Knights versus BDA and see how it goes.
After 3 instant recovery deaths conceed and its over.
No months of set-back and hopefully some fun and tales to tell.
Perhaps this system could also protect the corpse and equipment.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 28 Jun 2011 16:57

Guild titles and brute is another pain in the ass IMO.
It locks high brute (not necessarily large people btw) into their guild choices and makes switching much more time consuming.

I still like the idea here.
http://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewto ... ?f=6&t=989
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 28 Jun 2011 17:50

I think one month is too little, at least two months of not killing anything. If you go out and grind some in the beginnig when it is easy you can lower the wait a lot.

You grind halfway and then you wait the rest of the time that might be one month depending on your size and how much you actually grind.

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 28 Jun 2011 18:04

Not to seem cold-hearted, but I'm really not that concerned about the game being hard to play for myths. Lots of us manage to survive, have a good time, and yes, even have an occasional pfight without being a Legend, Myth, or heck, even a Champion. A month is too easy, two is more reasonable.

Related: Why not encourage people to return by calculating a slow degredation of their brute if they don't log in? Then they won't dread logging in only to find themselves at the same place they left off six months ago, except now everyone else is bigger than they are. You could cap it at not loggng in for a year or something, until they get back to that old brute and then its back to normal.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 28 Jun 2011 19:28

Anahita wrote:Related: Why not encourage people to return by calculating a slow degredation of their brute if they don't log in? Then they won't dread logging in only to find themselves at the same place they left off six months ago, except now everyone else is bigger than they are. You could cap it at not loggng in for a year or something, until they get back to that old brute and then its back to normal.
Oh noes! Why do you want to make Genesis like WoW!!?!?11

Just kidding, the "rested Xp" concept is a good one, that Genesis could benefit from as well.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 28 Jun 2011 19:32

we are not talking about making it easier for myths, I am all for making it harder for them. We are talking about making it easier for people that do not like grinding to recover.

Are you suggesting to lower the brut for people that is asleep? I would go unactive just to fix my bad brut without questing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/