RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for myths

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
Kas
Legend
Posts: 771
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 17:54

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Kas » 30 Sep 2011 16:46

Also, you can turn some (and some barely used) grinders into new instanced <insert size-requirement here> grinders.

On the top of my head, this could be, with minimum efforts:

1. Ribos Castle revamp (yes, it's useless in its current state)
2. Ents
3. Qualinesti
4. Mithas trolls (also, expand to more camps)
5. Raumdor can host some grinders
5...?
6. Profit.

If the grinders are cleaned/occupied all the time, it's a sign that the game has capped its capacity. Is this what we are experiencing now?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Karpath
Wanderer
Posts: 72
Joined: 24 Aug 2010 21:46

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Karpath » 30 Sep 2011 16:47

I'm all for area(s) for super huge chars with one exception. They should not be able to attack way lower npcs/players.
Ie. Supermyth A has grown into godmode and wants to polish of his/hers epeen and slaughter everything in Flotsam or
where ever. There should be some "distance" limit to what godmode chars _can_ attack, backwards discipline, for a lack of
better word.

Me.
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

User avatar
Kas
Legend
Posts: 771
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 17:54

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Kas » 30 Sep 2011 16:50

Karpath wrote:I'm all for area(s) for super huge chars with one exception. They should not be able to attack way lower npcs/players.
Ie. Supermyth A has grown into godmode and wants to polish of his/hers epeen and slaughter everything in Flotsam or
where ever. There should be some "distance" limit to what godmode chars _can_ attack, backwards discipline, for a lack of
better word.

Me.

Well, won't that depent on what kind of actions the small player do vs the one in godmode?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

User avatar
Recoba
Great Adventurer
Posts: 193
Joined: 11 Mar 2010 12:52

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Recoba » 30 Sep 2011 17:13

Kas wrote:
Karpath wrote:I'm all for area(s) for super huge chars with one exception. They should not be able to attack way lower npcs/players.
Ie. Supermyth A has grown into godmode and wants to polish of his/hers epeen and slaughter everything in Flotsam or
where ever. There should be some "distance" limit to what godmode chars _can_ attack, backwards discipline, for a lack of
better word.

Me.

Well, won't that depent on what kind of actions the small player do vs the one in godmode?
Karpath has a point there, somewhere... Since we're talking about a targeted effort from the game's admin to help the super-big get even bigger, it must at least be considered how that affects their interactions with the rest of the game.

User avatar
OgreToyBoy
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 05 Mar 2010 11:36

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by OgreToyBoy » 30 Sep 2011 18:52

Make the hard areas harder. If you just expand the xp-areas those who grind become even larger so they can dump their semi-active tail and go totally solo. None, even great champions of any deity, can face hordes of Trolls and walk away unscathed. Put in the ultracriticals in the xp-areas, cause deaths and grief. Random extra monsters, perhaps one Troll figures out how to block that single exit, the dragon easily cut off the escape-route with a swift move of its tail. Make people struggle, that is what keeps player interested in my opinion. If you let them play enough in a Hello Kitty-world they will get fed up and leave.

Karpath
Wanderer
Posts: 72
Joined: 24 Aug 2010 21:46

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Karpath » 30 Sep 2011 19:06

Recoba wrote:
Kas wrote:
Karpath wrote:I'm all for area(s) for super huge chars with one exception. They should not be able to attack way lower npcs/players.
Ie. Supermyth A has grown into godmode and wants to polish of his/hers epeen and slaughter everything in Flotsam or
where ever. There should be some "distance" limit to what godmode chars _can_ attack, backwards discipline, for a lack of
better word.

Me.

Well, won't that depent on what kind of actions the small player do vs the one in godmode?
Karpath has a point there, somewhere... Since we're talking about a targeted effort from the game's admin to help the super-big get even bigger, it must at least be considered how that affects their interactions with the rest of the game.
Well make it work for npcs at first and enable that pvp-flag thingy that was discussed somewhere else. If some small player insults a godmode char there's always the harashment policy to fall back onto.

Me.
It is the fluttering of moths to the flame that amuses me.

User avatar
Strider
Adept
Posts: 134
Joined: 03 Mar 2011 20:15

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Strider » 30 Sep 2011 23:12

Something approaching two decades ago, when I first recall anyone floating the idea of sequestering extremely large characters, they were talking about champions and a reasonably knowledgeable player could make one in less than a week. I wonder if we really should set the bar at myth before the rest of the game opens up to you. I wonder if that would be a selling point to a new player.

As I recall, one of the big issues with allowing characters to pass over to the special challenge and back to the game at large was managing to give them meaningful rewards, but still keep them proportionate to the rest of the game. One suggestion was to keep it all in Vegas, as it were. Another option could be to use this space to try out a sort of high risk, high reward system, such that the character's overall growth rate is approximately the same as it would be simply harvesting experience out in the larger world.

If increasingly out-sized characters will still be among us, even only occasionally, they should probably be addressed. I think I wrote somewhere that I think that the usual character impact for being killed by another character should be minor, with a "grudge" system where one can risk increased set back in order to inflict it. Alternatively, the impact could be proportionate to your odds of success. Anyway, the vast and increasing gulf between character power is most problematic when we come in direct conflict. Along different lines, while I am against caps, both hard and to a lesser extent soft, I think it may be time to start a series of tinkering with the stat curves, such that growth and differentiation of stats is possible, but that differences in power decrease the larger you get, and overall players at the high end loose ground to NPCs. While it is understating to say such adjustments would cause upset and consternation, I think players will be more likely to ride it out if it is a series of tunings, rather than a single Nerf.

I don't like the idea of player or team instanced grind areas, as I think it limits interaction, but it may be a reasonable stop gap for the fact that at the top end, the game isn't keeping up with the players.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

User avatar
Tarax the Terrible
Myth
Posts: 1331
Joined: 09 Mar 2010 20:33
Location: UK

Re: RE: Gorboth on the common board and super-content for my

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 06 Oct 2011 18:55

I read that note and checked the date again to make sure it wasn't April 1st. :D
The ideas are visionary, nice work G!

People have been asking for similar sorts of thing, to be a Valkyrie or an Ent.
Someone outside the daily grind but still a part of the game.

The Game of Thrones stuff would be a draw, and I am sure some wizzies would love working on it, a new domain of their own creation. I would love to visit it, the same way I love visiting ME and seeing the book brought to life.

But yeah excluding non myths would be harsh, as some players will realistically never reach myth.
Not like the mainstream where you can hit the lvl cap in a week or six.

I would perhaps use the new domain as a chance implements the ideas of castles etc for the players, grandeur determine by mortal level and cash.
Co-op castles beyond the wall. Pvp in a region. Guild ties irrelevant, linked to a Game of Thrones faction only.
And develop a related jump in jump out skirmish co-op or pvp skirmish system.
Your cashflow of credits determines your defence/attack forces 5-15 minute battles with no real death just looting credits.

Make myths able to hold special positions of power in their guilds.
The sort of things DA's did with the free text in their titles.
Protector of Kalaman, Tower Guard of Baradur.
But back it up with special coded abilities.
IE a myth Neidar can command the guards of Kalaman to lock down the city, sending all the internal forces to defend the gates Gelan style.
A myth AA can command an oliphaunt or warg steed.


But no matter what does get implemented, it is great to see the energy and creativity still thriving.
:D
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/