And he's wearing... what, TWO shields??

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
OgreToyBoy
Champion

Re: And he's wearing... what, TWO shields??

Post by OgreToyBoy » 02 Oct 2011 16:22

This issue was non-existant when the best shields were pretty crappy.
Not sure when it was allowed to have shields with really high AC and covering all body including legs, add to that a weight less than what most scabbards weigh. :roll:

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 02 Oct 2011 19:47

The reason you should not be allowed to wear two shields are simply that it provides to much AC. Even with low defensive skills you can tank pretty well with this setup. DOs and Neidars become invincible which in turn affect healing guilds since healing is never needed in teams.
Nerf shields, Nerf AC = make healing abilities importent in team setup.

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 02 Oct 2011 20:55

NERF EVERYTHING WHILE WE ARE ON IT !!

Bah getting so tired....

ALL ends up with some words... ENVY , JEALOUSY! etc etc
Instead all goes bitching, whining, complaining, always attacking the guilds and players...

He has "bigger penis then me" attitude,, WAHHHH!!!!! Crybaby.. ENVY and JEALOUSY.

We need BIGGER GUNS!

If you wanna be a "supertank" then start wearing two shields. It also has to do with size of
your combat stats, when you are tanking. Not just the AC..

Oh btw, when the PLEX HITS an apponent shall not have any defensive skills or whatsoever.
I mean, when you get hit in the solar plexus hard, try to do something, Ehh YOU CAN'T!
You should be able to run 10 laps around your target laughing without the target doing anything.
Should be able to strangle the target from behind with a snare.. oh no we are getting to realistic now..
who wanted that ? ...

Also I want monks to have Dim Mak and "Kiss of the Dragon" as special attacks. I can skip PLEX
for those :)
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 02 Oct 2011 20:58

Are you starting to loosing it Uther?
I suggest a change which will still make you the best tanks out there just not as invincable as today. Compensate tanking ability with a little dps and make healers attractive again.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 02 Oct 2011 21:22

Eh...Envy, jealousy??
Could it be, that perhaps not everything that is talked about on these forums is about you, Uther?

People can bring things up, without having the slightest bit of envy of you or your guild - get over yourself already.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 02 Oct 2011 21:51

I am not losing it :)

I guess you missed the IRONY in the post.

Some are posting just to whine and complain to make themselves heard.

Recoba brought this up as an attack against me cause I mentioned him in a previous post.
Instead of writing it out personally against me he instead attacks the guild, cause we are the ones
that most uses 2 shields. Common tactic.

I agree that healers are somewhat less needed today compared to before.
But try to find a Ranger, SCoP or PoT that can make use of their heal when hardly none
of them are playing. *search here for healer* You find noone wanting to team....

With Gorboth's idea about the Supermyth area, see other note, I think the need for healers
of any kind will be needed in a much greater scale.

But regarding the shields.
Is it my fault that the shields that are in the game are approved by the AoB?
Err NO.

If you can't use two shields that has been in the game since it started, like two-handed combat,
that makes you able to use two weapons more efficient. Then we can remove that skill and ability
as well.

Removing the ability to wear two shields would _almost_ be like removing spells from the MM guild.

Greywolf
Adventurer

Post by Greywolf » 03 Oct 2011 00:22

amberlee wrote:
Greywolf wrote:
amberlee wrote:I dont say i disagree with you both, Creed and Uther.
What i AM saying is, find another way to do the same without wearing two shields.
A tweak or two in the code is all thats needed.
Exactly. The DO (and Kaheda) have always relied on 2 shields. This goes back a long way and to think of changing this just because some don't like the concept of wearing two shields is absurd. When something exists in the game for many years without complaint, and that directly effects the way everyone in a guild plays the game, there should be a really good reason to change it.

I have never liked the image of a monk all decked out in armour and wearing two shields. That's not my idea of what my monk should look like so I try not to think of it. I would love for the DO to have an option other than armour such as a defensive spell, specially crafted robes or some new skill maybe. Something that would mean they can't wear armour but still get the AC and which is of course balanced with all the guilds.
Why not sacrifice armours they find to enhance their own AC?
Much like they do with Karma
I am not a big fan of doing it that way. It means that monks wont be able to stock racks and have to hunt for equipment each time they log in. We already do this with weapons and I don't think it is widely realized what a serious drawback that is. It would take more work but be more balanced if there was some sort of process just simply changed the appearance of whatever items give AC to make them more thematically appealing (at least to me :) ). This is not really a problem that needs to solved, just an idea that has come up in the past that I think would be nice.

Limiting characters to two shields should not apply to monks though.

Creed

Post by Creed » 04 Oct 2011 23:42

I don't know why I was pulled into this thing about DO/Kaheda and 2 shields.
But I was a monk for 7 or 8 years, and in that time I don't remember to ever having worn 2 shields.
As a Kahedan I usually wielded an EH or some 1-handed spear and a shield, since it otherwise would take me 17 ages to kill anything.
Back then, the only REAL monk I knew was Garnet. He played as a D&D monk, unarmed and unarmored.
But he had the size for it, as the rest of us didn't.
Which is the same case for most monks today. Most of them grew totally FAT on xp, while their plexus was severely unbalanced, and they all took turns in soloing mithas, qualinost and what other places there is.

But as it is now, I don't really care anymore. The damage has been done, and the monks have grown out of proportion in the time their plexus wasn't working right, while they also had the added damage capabilities that came along with the snake gloves, or in the same period of time.

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 05 Oct 2011 13:03

Just FYI I happened to try something 2 days ago unwillingly.

I was at Terel Trolls, wearing 2 shields, one broke, grabbed a fresh one out of my pack, then after a few rooms the other old shield broke as well, so I ended up with just one prime dragon turtle shell.

Entered a new room fvw, with plex and pirate evade, the trolls took me to FRH... WTF? I checked my armours:

Blue dragonscale: prime
Giant black skull: prime
Red-runed greaves: prime
White hooded robe: little worn down
Dragon turtle shell: prime
Snake-skin gloves: prime

Extremely obliviated of pirate grog,

Scratched my head, healed up. Went into next room.

Then same thing happened. Down to FRH as most.

Then I ran and grabbed a second shield.

So, we monks are very depandant of 2 shields to be able to tank.

If there is a way to increase the natural AC of monk and remove one shield so people that "exa monk" won't be so disturbed by it, by all means go ahead so they will be quiet.

More to come... Gotta work

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 05 Oct 2011 13:38

Shouldn't that just prove how much a second shield changes everything and that it actually makes things a bit overpowered? Your tanking ability changed 100% with the second shield, you don't see anything wrong with that?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/