Dropping brute and New use of your Questxp pool.

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Drop the brute, use the qxp for abilities.

Hell yeah!
70%
No waii!
30%

Total votes: 23

Kas
Legend

Dropping brute and New use of your Questxp pool.

Post by Kas » 17 Feb 2012 23:07

The general idea is this:

We drop the brute and kill the necessity for mixing combat and questing. Grinding to the top
is now optional.

1. Makes initial growth of new players and secondary characters much faster, and could be
regulated so it hits a secondary softcap where it becomes harder from, let's say veteran or
rising hero. I believe new people that starts the game and grows quickly becomes more
integrated to the rest of the many facets of the game and therefore increases the chance
of staying.

2. This opens up the use of our belowed pool of questxp: Secondary progressbar, from 0-100%
of the current hardcap (and also may in addition used to give the player a second title to show
his/her progression in questing). Every 3% could unlock something minor, and every 10% unlocks
the possibility for a player to select an ability from an array. Should not be too powerful, but neither
so insignificant that it would not atleast tempt players to do some questing in between.

A. Different abilities, could range from PVE-only abilities, to general/pvp stuff.

Examples: 1. Battlehardened - rank 1-10. Every accumulation adds a +1% in melee damage
mitigation. Earnable every 10% of questxp progression.

2. Skill focus - (array of suitable skills), rank 1-10, increases 1 skillpoint per 10%
in qxp. Awareness for example, from 1 point to a maximum of 10.

3. Endurance - Increases either amount of fatigue or decrease amount of fatigue given
when running.

4. Magebane - Same as battlehardened, except increasing magical resistance.

5. Weapon mastery - 1% extra damage with weapon of choice per rank, up to max 10%.

6. Healing aura - PVE-ability, heals PARTY x per y time for z seconds, cooldown at W seconds.
max XY%.

7. Damage aura - Dishes out damage to enemy of party, same as above. PVE only.

6. I-win button - Only for MM, ofcourse.... ^^

- Abilties are respeccable once per X time, for Y plats.

So, thoughts and reflections?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Dropping brute and New use of your Questxp pool.

Post by Cherek » 17 Feb 2012 23:52

Opposite many others who voice their opinions here I am more of a quest-lover and grind-disliker. My concern about this is that it does remove one way of growingl, and it makes me a bit worried that the only way to grow will be from killing things. I suppose its almost like that now too, but when you're small you actually do grow some from questing, and questing gives you some type of goal as well. If questing does not help you grow, you'll be even more lost as a new player on what to do, and why. What is a new player supposed to do? The "normal" setup is that you meet NPCs that send you on quests. If that becomes optional, at non-xp rewarding... will that be a problem? This idea will most likely suit most of our current players well, since they dont wanna redo the quests and be able to start new chars more easily. But do we really know what a new player wants? And what they dont want?

I am not saying its a bad idea. I am just saying the above question, "what does a new player want?" need to answered too.

There is also the logical part... why do I get for instance battle-hardened from solving quests? I think we perhaps would need some type of... story to make it work? Hm then again why do I get stronger from solving quests? Maybe not so important... but some type of theme that makes it a bit more logical is something I'd like anyway.

Having that said, I still think its a good idea. Not only am I tempted by these new abilities i could use my quest XP for, but I also think since so many have voiced complaints over the current quest system for so long, perhaps it does need some type of overhaul to make it more enjoyable. Or rather, more enjoyable for those who like it, and less a punishment for those who dont.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 18 Feb 2012 00:08

Also, to solve the growth on only combat xp, make it so you get the same amount in combat xp along with the questxp aswell. That way, you can also grow on questing alone.

I belive this can be done very easy on a global level.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 18 Feb 2012 00:35

Hm, yeah, sure. That would probably work. One of my worries taken care of then.

Can you solve the theme-thing too?

How's it gonna work? We just have a quest XP-meter and when we reach the levels we get a message "You can now chose a new... bonus, or whatever we call it"? And then you go... to an adventurers guild and chose one?

Or.. we have some other type of theme?

How... hmm... how about we create a super-intelligent creature from another realm (who for some reason now lives near or in Sparkle). It rewards adventurers who solve quests... and by using its immense magical powers it provides rewards for those who have enough quest XP? This creature would of course then become the central figure in all questing in Genesis and can get people started on quests in a somewhat logical way. Obviously he made the the quest orbs too giving them a logical reason to exist. Actually, he hands out mobile quest orbs. So you dont have to go to Sparkle to copy the text from them all the time.

Or... its simply just a very old and very wise person who knows everything, and teaches small "tricks" for those who are, in his eyes, smart enough.

There we go! A story. Or two. :)

I dont know. But maybe something like it would be helpful? Basically we create a "Master Quest Master" of some kind. I think it could make perfect sense. The quests are rewarding as they are, but the master quest master also rewards people as they finish more and more quests. It also introduces the concept of other quests and quest masters pretty nicely. One quest master to rule them all... I personally think everything that has some type of RP-ish story or theme is better than progress bars and numbers, if possible.

Anyway, did you have some type of theme in mind when you came up with the idea Kas?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 18 Feb 2012 13:47

Let them choose freely from adventurers guilds or whatever, regardless of any thematics are in place or not (or use some master quest npc as you mentioned).

While thematics are cool, it's not that important compared to the function of the system, since it's the latter that will better the odds of
people sticking and playing. Part of the grind and the advancement in the game, and I dare to say a far better solution than the old
dysfunctional dinosaur that is currently in place.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 18 Feb 2012 13:53

About the theme part, change the word quest-xp to Fame/reputation(good or bad) and the "seller/wise person/demon/what-ever tells you " I have heard of you, someone with your reputation are worthy of what I have to give/offer."

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 18 Feb 2012 14:25

Just as a thumb rule.
Playability and functionability ALWAYS comes before theme.

This is something gen admin has had backwards for a LOOOONG time now.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 18 Feb 2012 21:47

amberlee wrote:Just as a thumb rule.
Playability and functionability ALWAYS comes before theme.

This is something gen admin has had backwards for a LOOOONG time now.
+1

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 18 Feb 2012 23:28

Fact of the matter is.
Genesis needs to reinvent itself to even have the possibility of getting numbers of new players.
If it's not reinvented, all we will have left in 2-3 years time is Irk-bot, Pasha-bot and Anguloke-bot running around 24/7 on their scripts.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 19 Feb 2012 02:11

What if the mortal level capped at champion, but guild experience (and its affect on on guild abilities) never capped?

Anyone currently over the champion (or any agreed upon mortal size) cap could have their remaining experience turned into guild experience.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/