Character size inflation

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Character size inflation

Post by Cherek » 01 Aug 2012 18:13

Alexi wrote:With a XP Purge and a Character Level Cap, wouldn't that cause a ton of recoding due to the fact lots of NPCs and mobs were coded due to the influx in character size?
People simply need to team up?

And even if some mobs need to be downgraded I doubt that is much work? Change a few numbers?:) The other parts of my "crazy" hypothetical change is probably the big chunk of work I would guess.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 01 Aug 2012 19:48

Makfly wrote:
Laurel wrote:
Makfly wrote:If a new player starts out in Genesis asks around, and finds out that it will take them years to reach Legend/Myth status
Slight exaggeration there :)
I would, honestly, like to know how many hours it will take to reach Legend or Myth status.

An interesting test would be to make a character that will solve about 40-50% of the quests available, then join the Mercenaries and see how many 3 hour slots it would take for that person to reach Legend or Myth status. That time should of course include time to solve the quests and time to gather equipment (though no necessarily at ever log-in).

I have no doubt that I am quite slow, since I've been playing for years and years and never reached even Champion level. But even for me, it takes me 3 hours or so to reach 'low/modest progress' at 'Somewhat violent' brute. That is even with the benefit of having most hunting grounds to myself.

Anyways, I do not think that it is such an exaggeration to say that it will take a new player years to reach Myth status.
Problem is that the heavy XP requires you to have a tank, so get yourself a tank and you'll be able to rock great xp. Back to the topic

Yes, sizes are inflated, not as inflated as gear but still. Hell, most people when making a team and they see a Titan asking if he/she can join they go "Sorry no babies on my tour" :P Wich is sad to say the least, the game has started to be all about xp per hour, and thus its about gear, and when people bot they grow even more. The cap on size is not going to be good for the big uber myths, we will loose them in a jiffy. Its to late to put it in now since it would be taking alot of what people worked for away, and noone likes having stuff taken away, nerfing is NEVER a good sollution, start weak and work up.(yea sorry got away there again, but still) We could make NPCs scale making them harder tho, always scale on the biggest member in the team etc, should make it alittle more fair. This is not to say that uber gear should be available to mini chars, alltho alot of mega gear is just that already -.-. And RESTRICT THE PVP ffs, when we have myths going on hissyfits and killing RH-Champ players just because they can we wont be luring more people in.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Aug 2012 20:33

Makfly wrote:never reached even Champion level (...) at 'Somewhat violent' brute
holla! now THIS is NOT the way to reach legend/myth

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 01 Aug 2012 23:09

I think the most discouraging factor for newbies - QUESTING.
Mandatory questing is great burden for new players.
And even more discouraging that second chars starting equally to new chars and they become titans in a week or two. And a new player must invest around a year to become one.

I say make questing optional

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 02 Aug 2012 08:24

Laurel wrote:
Makfly wrote:never reached even Champion level (...) at 'Somewhat violent' brute
holla! now THIS is NOT the way to reach legend/myth
Well, I have done quite a lot of quests over the years, but I really don't find questing to be fun, so I rarely spend time on it either.

But feel free to help out by sending me some 'do-line' quest-solutions ;)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 02 Aug 2012 08:58

Makfly wrote:But feel free to help out by sending me some 'do-line' quest-solutions ;)
Sorry - don't have those. I e-bay all chars only after assuring they have all quests done already ;p

Althyrian
Apprentice

Post by Althyrian » 02 Aug 2012 22:36

Cherek wrote:Well, I think the game must change to become a game of interaction again if it is gonna have a chance of surviving.

RP and PVP is what I would like to focus on. XP secondary.

Solution?

Drastically reduce player sizes with an XP purge. Add a max level cap at around today's titan size or even lower. People with additional XP gets other, mostly cosmetic, rewards instead of XP, as well as some other smaller rewards, like ability to train skills a bit higher, or chose between different bonuses from a "skill-tree". Like "battlerage + 5% combat speed", and similar.

Remove difference between XP types, and add a few zeros to quest XP instead. OR, make QXP count towards the skill-tree instead, similar to what Kas suggested not so long ago. That way you can gain skill-tree skills in two ways, by solving quests, or by continuing to grind even after you reach the cap.

Introcude rewards for PVP kills, and considerably less penalties when dying than today.

If PVP becomes fun, I think RP and guild politics will follow, and we might get an interactive a game again.

Also, its much easier to start new characters and level them up to max level, and even truly new players dont have to spend too much time until they can play with the big guys.
Cherek, I agree with you 100%. If the game moves in this direction, promotional efforts would have a much better chance at success.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 04 Aug 2012 21:35

PUUUURGE!!!!!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 05 Aug 2012 17:56

go play DG all who want a purge?
I don't get what you THINK you'd achieve with one

some would grind back within weeks and others (me, for example) would leave
the reason would be quite simple - you'd erase Xteen years of my gaming time file to address something that would not be solved by that move - current players' attitude

without finishing recodes and going a new way it will just end up to be the killing-blow

make helping newbies a rewarding experience instead

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 Aug 2012 18:11

Laurel wrote:go play DG all who want a purge?
I don't get what you THINK you'd achieve with one

some would grind back within weeks and others (me, for example) would leave
the reason would be quite simple - you'd erase Xteen years of my gaming time file to address something that would not be solved by that move - current players' attitude

without finishing recodes and going a new way it will just end up to be the killing-blow

make helping newbies a rewarding experience instead
First of all my idea was a hypothetical one, and obviously a huge change. But I dont think you really read it though?

No, people would not grind back because a purge without a cap would be pretty meaningless. Like I said, we would need a level cap after the purge.

And no, your "extra" XP would not be useless at all, like I said, the idea was the extra accumulated XP counts towards the "skill-tree", so huge myths would still get a lot of interesting bonuses that might even be funnier than "just more XP". It would make their characters more customizable too and add another dimension and choice to the game. But yes, they would become considerably smaller than now in terms of stats, and its obviously possible some would leave... but well, how many people leave as it is?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/