Character size inflation

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Character size inflation

Post by Cherek » 13 Aug 2012 01:52

Draugor: Hah! I'd like to see you complete enough quests for a myth char in 15 hours as a new player. I dare you. I'll give you my custom coded lightsaber with insane stats if you can do it. :) Even if you use a couple of big friends to kill everything needed I doubt you'll get anywhere near.

Hm, is the new newbie area too hard? I havent actually tried it more than I did when doing the quests.

As for the rest... well yeah, being dragged around all days on scripts will make you grow up quickly. But from the perspective of a new player, something we must have at some point to survive, I agree it's basically impossible to reach myth within a reasonable time. Unless you make an old player friend who drags you along, or write your own scripts. Even then its gonna take some considerable time.

When most of us started, you could reach the highest level without even having an internet connection at home, only playing a few hours at school. That really shows how much the game has changed since then.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 13 Aug 2012 06:02

Draugor wrote:not start like shit and THEN get easier as you go along, thats just... weird
What about the Newbie area are you describing here, Draugor? The difficulty level? The design? The quests? I agree it is super important to have the newbie experience be a good and friendly one. Your words are not specific enough to be helpful.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 13 Aug 2012 06:59

Draugor wrote:You can go to myth so much faster :P If yer good and know the quests it takes 15 hours tops to get enough Qexp, add that with having a friend that can dragg you in trolls, elves, neraka and/or Icewall... Myth in no time :P
Please give us your time estimation of "in no time".
How many hours, realisticly?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 13 Aug 2012 09:41

I'm still not even close to myth and I am more then 200 days.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 13 Aug 2012 11:04

First time Laurel reached myth was with 400+ days.
I still don't get it why some people cry that it should be "oh so fucking easier" for newcomers to reach it ...

Creed

Post by Creed » 13 Aug 2012 11:15

Cherek, he said that he could get the quest exp in 15 hours. Not make myth in 15 hours.

I believe its possible to make myth in 30 days played time, if you have the right friends and guilds.
But its would be almost scriptlike with next to no time to do anything else than grind.
And I personally can't really see what the fun in that would be.

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 13 Aug 2012 12:38

What is the main problem with the perceived characther size inflation?
Myth survivability against smaller players? Lack of challenges for myths?

There might be a need to increase the effective survivability of small players and decrease it for myths.
Currently large players are probably a bit too immune against attacks from multiple smaller foes.
We can probably accomplish this by tweaking some knobs if it is desired.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 13 Aug 2012 12:51

I think that the problem is that any new player that want to experience this game will end up frustrated because there will be enemies/bullies that are so HUGE compared to him/her that (s)he will never be able to defend against, hunt or attack. If a new player started playing today and followed the rules, when do you think (s)he would even be able to consider attacking or assisting against Laurel, Freya, Tristram or even little me?

I am all for a statcap around titan or champ size. Maybe add some skill bonus for futher xp, not a lot but just a bit. I think we need to stop seing this from the myths/legends point of view but rather from possible new players.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 13 Aug 2012 13:26

When Laurel was squire for the first time, she had no dis to use kattack when attacked by Monika (DA).
When you start other games you don't exactly run to attack the nearby long-time player? Hell - in plenty games even 1-3 levels of difference mean you just do NOT EVEN try to fight.

In Genesis - you can become a MM and bully much bigger fighters, or become a Ranger and just disable them for all I care. Those options ARE available.

I'm rather with Cot on the question - what is the problem with size?

Besides - why did you put Laurel in the same line as Freya anyway? Freya is only twice as big :lol:

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 13 Aug 2012 13:41

cotillion wrote:What is the main problem with the perceived characther size inflation?
Myth survivability against smaller players? Lack of challenges for myths?

There might be a need to increase the effective survivability of small players and decrease it for myths.
Currently large players are probably a bit too immune against attacks from multiple smaller foes.
We can probably accomplish this by tweaking some knobs if it is desired.

And what would this accomplish?
Except that you would smack those already on the reciving end even more.
Want to know what a HUGE problem is?
Racial stat modifiers.
When an elf myth has the combats of a goblin titan-champ.. You know the balance is skewered somewhere.
And you know what... Combats is all that matter..
I think you would get rid of much of the problem if you removed racial stat modifiers all together.
Rather put in some other benefit for the different races.(That are not this extreme)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/