Genesis as semi open source

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Uther
Great Adventurer

Re: Genesis as semi open source

Post by Uther » 08 Sep 2012 19:58

Petros, thank you for your answer. I am not sure I am getting what you mean exactly.

But why I want a clone to be setup is due to you cannot login your mortal when you have your wizard online.
It is not allowed as far as I know. Is it possible to get this going ? What do you other players think ?
Maybe there are players that wanna wiz buy still play their mortal.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 08 Sep 2012 20:03

Uther wrote:Petros, thank you for your answer. I am not sure I am getting what you mean exactly.

But why I want a clone to be setup is due to you cannot login your mortal when you have your wizard online.
It is not allowed as far as I know. Is it possible to get this going ? What do you other players think ?
How can you actively play if you are coding stuff - Or actively code, while you play?
You can certainly have your mortal character in tow of a bot and grind, while you spend time coding stuff...But is this really what we want?

Logging out and in again shouldn't be a problem, now that it should be possible to keep your mortal character and also have a wizard character at the same time.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 08 Sep 2012 23:37

Makfly wrote:
Uther wrote:Petros, thank you for your answer. I am not sure I am getting what you mean exactly.

How can you actively play if you are coding stuff - Or actively code, while you play?
You can certainly have your mortal character in tow of a bot and grind, while you spend time coding stuff...But is this really what we want?

Logging out and in again shouldn't be a problem, now that it should be possible to keep your mortal character and also have a wizard character at the same time.
Then why don't we have people doing that ? and coding stuff ?
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 Sep 2012 04:18

Playing the game has become a casual thing that many people do in the background while doing other activities at the same time. Coding does not work like this. I think most people do not have the time or ability to make Genesis the sort of priority that takes their "active attention" for hours on end. This is what is required to be a productive wizard.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Bendis
Beginner

Post by Bendis » 23 Sep 2012 22:34

petros wrote:
For all the reasons specified on how branching can actually split the code line, we don't intend for this to be a day-to-day environment. If Genesis was operating with a modern day source control system where you can merge in features and changes easily, that might be more of a possibility.

As I already mentioned on these boards (and probably I will be again invited to peddle my ideas elsewhere), I suggested that I would love to sponsor a modern source control system for Genesis (e.g. github) so we can move forward...

Begging for code situations always turn off my enthusiasm and send me back to my Kindle :D

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/