What a wonderful idea!
It is not as simple as that though. Here is why. Let's assume you get 3-4 diku-mud coders.
1. The coders do not know Genesis as players
2. Diku-mud and LP Mud are two different animals
3. The code base for Genesis is not accessible to wizards (yes, you heard me right
Why is important...
I played Genesis for about two years in 1998-2000. I am a social player, which means that I could care about size, status etc... As a consequence I "know" only a small part of Genesis - Middle Earth, Calia, Terel, a bit of Krynn. i returned around 2010 and meanwhile there were additions as the Mariners guild.
My first task was to come up with an Alchemist guild. At that point talking to the players wasn't something the admin favored. This changed now and this is awesome. One of the recommendations I received from Gorboth was to relate the Alchemist guild somewhat to the Mariners guild
So here I was:
1. I had no idea what the Mariners guild was, where it was etc...
2. I had no access to the code
3. Nobody was able to provide any details about it, couldn't talk to anyone
4. I had time to code but not that much to run around and figure out for myself what/here it was - this would also be the case of most of the diku-mud coders you would bring in.
Well, no wonder what I came up with was no fun:) based on the expectations and recommendations
This would be also the case for any new wizard you bring in. They would have very limited abilities to do their jobs.
I believe, for new wizards to be successful and satisfied with their work, we have two options:
1. Open the code for the wizards. If not in game, on something like Git. I am willing to contribute towards a paid Git account to preserve the secrecy of the code for the players while opening it for the wizards. Just to enable them to do their jobs
2. If there is the fear someone would just take the code from Git and start another Genesis game
then "the fearful" need to do some additional work and spend some effort in management.
One cannot let loose an army of coders with no access to the code and expect miracles
Just my 0.02.