Potion Making

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: Potion Making

Post by Draugor » 18 Oct 2013 16:11

eowul wrote:
Draugor wrote:Alch craft guild with like 50 different potions would be fucking awsome :o
Well, how about this, if you can collectively come up with at least 40 different effect types (and not just having skill x up, but with some difference, we'll keep those 10 margin for stat x / skill x increases and unfeasible ideas), I'll build this craft guild? They don't all need to be usefull (gender changing?) or positive (we can also do stat decreases for instance), but it needs to at least be defendable that a potion could have the ability to cause the effect.

I can alone come up with 40 :P brb invention time! :P

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 18 Oct 2013 17:06

Potion of Hexlax : Empty your bowels (instead of calian lavatories). Messy, but effective in dire situations.

Potion of Grandeour: Every now and then, teammembers and standbyers are compelled to bow to you, bathing in your grandeour.

Potion of disguise: When quaffed, you point at an npc or object, and you will look exactly like that/him/her. Illusion breaks when you move.

Potion of timestop : Everything acts slower on you - poisons tick half the speed, same with fatigue and food consumption. Penalty = You are particulary slower in combat.

Just a few fun ones on top of my head.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 18 Oct 2013 18:32

A fun idea for this, in my opinion, would be such that the recipies are not made public with the opening of such a craft guild. The entirety of genesis items and herbs are the potential ingredient list, and only through experimentation and word of mouth would you learn how to make this or that effect.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 18 Oct 2013 18:50

gorboth wrote:A fun idea for this, in my opinion, would be such that the recipies are not made public with the opening of such a craft guild. The entirety of genesis items and herbs are the potential ingredient list, and only through experimentation and word of mouth would you learn how to make this or that effect.

G.
That's exactly how I would see this. I would say even beyond herbs. Allow leftovers, food, booze, etc... to all be potential components in recipes. There are so many options of things that potions could do.

There would have to be the chance that a potion could cause some negative effects, but that's all part of the testing. Maybe you recruit someone to test potions for you and pay them some plats. I did that as a young Kender with herbs. Just ate random ones to find out their effects...of course no one was paying me to do it...I was just curious.

Would make for another really neat component to the realms and would be lots of fun. Imagine a super powerful potion, like invisibility, that also made you blind. Or one that made your strength huge but reduced your dex or con. Lots of fun could be had and lots of risk/reward potentials.

Windemere

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 18 Oct 2013 20:05

I would think that a very basic and weak potion might have some simple ingredients while the stronger version will have some very hard to get ingredients. Lets say a basic healing potion has some healing herbs, liquid and maybe some kind of gem dust while the strongest one has the strongest healing herb, some weird gem dust, yetis blood, some dragon tooth dust, tears from Gorboth etc. Really complicated things to find and gather but the potion would be very strong.

So it would almost be like doing a small quest gathering everything you need for a strong potion.

Eowul
Wizard

Post by Eowul » 18 Oct 2013 20:15

Nice ideas everyone, keep them coming. As for the mixing, I indeed think there shouldn't be a recipe list, in fact, I was pondering adding some randomness to the whole, creating different recipes for everyone :)
Caretaker of Arda

Ragni
Wanderer

Post by Ragni » 18 Oct 2013 20:25

Another idea would be to make it so that potion making had degrees of success and failure. You might make a 'Potion of Giant Strength' for example, total success would increase strength by X, a partial success by X/2, a failure produces nothing and a fumble for want of a better term produces a potion which decreases strength.

Ragni

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 18 Oct 2013 20:58

There is a Apothecary shop in Sybarus Bazaar that has some unique quirky items that could go towards this..

Ash
Feathers
Embalmed items
Pelts of various sorts
Charcoal

even some of the descriptions in the room give additional ideas for components -- in terms of reptile skins, bones, types of oils, crushing various gems into powders..
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 18 Oct 2013 21:04

I was thinking that you got some kind of special tools so you could extract what you needed from different corpses. Lets say you need a dragons eye for a potion. I don't think I have ever seen a dragons eye as leftovers but with these special tools you could extract the eye from a dragons corpse even if it don't exist as leftovers. That way you don't have to creat a bunch of new leftovers. And you can only extract from fresh corpses then you might have to dry it and mix it with some kind of alcohol to make it last and not go bad.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 18 Oct 2013 21:18

Alt abuse potential detector activated lol

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/