Decouple damage special imbuements from weapon quality?

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mumon
Wanderer

Decouple damage special imbuements from weapon quality?

Post by Mumon » 27 Nov 2013 16:24

Re: recent hunt for the blue moon weapon

The fact that it turned out to be essentially worthless due to the poor quality of the base weapon (which also reflects my own experiences when finding damage imbuements) got me thinking.
Perhaps damage imbuements could be changed so that they fire independently of the normal weapon attacks, and that their to hit is calculated independently of the base weapon quality?

/M

Jhael
Adept

Re: Decouple damage special imbuements from weapon quality?

Post by Jhael » 27 Nov 2013 16:25

I thought they did this already?

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 27 Nov 2013 16:33

Well I guess I could be wrong. This is just based on playing around with the crappy weapons I've found with various strength damage imbuements. Admittedly I wasn't very focussed so I could be mistaken but it seemed I only got special hits when I scored regular hits.
/M

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 27 Nov 2013 16:36

Hmm, I'd be interested to hear the official word on this. I thought that the damage imbuements fired independently of actual weapon hits ... but could be equally wrong.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Nov 2013 16:39

Experimentation might give you the answer without wiz-info.

;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 27 Nov 2013 16:43

perception:
better to use a holy blade than an intense anti-target imbuement on a crappy sword
reasoning:
hitting is one thing, but dmg from specials is another ... and it accounts for WAY more dmg than regular hits (#if not ogre or archer)
perception:
dmg from specials sure as hell doesn't count anti-target or dmg imbuements on wielded weapon

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 27 Nov 2013 16:46

gorboth wrote:Experimentation might give you the answer without wiz-info.

;-)

G.
No fun. Wizards are so mean! Gorboth is too lazy to help us out!!!!

...okay, fake rant over. I'm just embarrassed about how right you are. Well played, good sir.

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 27 Nov 2013 16:53

I found it sad that such a rare combination of imbuements turned out to be essentially worthless.
Admittedly I might have the wrong idea about the cause of that problem is e.g. poor base weapon quality, but that's really not important.

I'll rephrase my suggestion to: investigate if there is a way to make poor base weapons that get these kind of rare combinations of imbuements more useful. I think it would've been more fun if the recent find would've been up there w/ the top 1-h swords performancewise.

/M

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Nov 2013 16:57

I disagree, Mumon, and here is why ...

Imbuements are fully random, which means they are equal-opportunity. If amazing damage imbuements were only to happen on amazing weapons, this means they would only be for amazing players. This sword could have been found by a relatively small player, and enjoyed very much by that player. The chances of the imbuements appearing on an incredibly good sword are much rarer, because incredibly good swords are much rarer.

So ... this is part of the balance.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 27 Nov 2013 17:27

gorboth wrote:If amazing damage imbuements were only to happen on amazing weapons
That is not what I suggested. I think it's great that these "blue moon" imbuements can happen on newbie weapons in newbie areas.
However I suspect base weapon quality is very important even to very small players.

I'm satisfied with your answer that it works as intended and I won't argue any more for a change - I'm not after more amazing equipment for huge players.

I would, however, suggest an experiment when you have the time, if you haven't done it already. And that is to try the recent blue moon weapon and compare it to a green steel longsword (which I suspect is a weapon quality most small players can get through donations) for various small player sizes of some fighting guild to see how they compare, and to verify that it is useful for some player sizes.

/M

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/