Stats - Diminishing Returns

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Diminishing Returns on Stats?

Yes, please!
45%
No, thank you.
36%
Not convinced yet.
18%

Total votes: 22

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Stats - Diminishing Returns

Post by Zhar » 04 Feb 2014 23:19

zar wrote:Do I understand correctly?
If I am myth... and I can solo orc captain. I won't be able to do it after change?
Not even close fight?
It depends. As I see it, there are 3 ways it could go:
1. The change affects players but not NPCs = you need big teams to take down big guys.
2. The change affects both players and NPCs = not much changes in PvE (note however, that you'll still do less damage and won't be able to tank that much, everything here depends on how the specials and such were coded), gaps between players at the top end of the curve get closed for the most part (possibly giving more incentive to PvP).
3. The change affects both players and NPCs but to a different degree = kind of a compromise between both the above options. Big players get "toned down" while big NPCs get "slightly toned down".

I'm in favour of option #1, but that's just the spiteful spirit in my head speaking ;)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 05 Feb 2014 01:57

I'm interested..
As long as none fiddle with my Guild.

Mumon
Wanderer

Post by Mumon » 05 Feb 2014 02:28

Are you sure there already aren't diminishing returns, or even caps on how much bonus you can get from a stat in a certain formula e.g. dex in the formula for hitting or avoid getting hit.

I suspect there is because I don't notice any significant difference from an intense dex imbue.

/M

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 05 Feb 2014 02:58

mumon wrote:Are you sure there already aren't diminishing returns, or even caps on how much bonus you can get from a stat in a certain formula e.g. dex in the formula for hitting or avoid getting hit.

I suspect there is because I don't notice any significant difference from an intense dex imbue.

/M
I believe that there might be some max values for hitting, dodging etc. but:
1) I don't really know because I never checked it
2) Even if there are such things for dex I don't believe there's anything affecting your constitution (hp), int (mana) etc.

One of the big parts as to why people can run solo killing everything and teamfights are such a bore is because people have so much hp that it takes ages to take them down (why do I need a team if I can tank it all/have enough mana to blast everything to bits and don't need to hide behind teammates). Besides, if there is a cap on such things already, then my suggestion sure wouldn't hurt much ;)

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 05 Feb 2014 10:02

Zhar wrote: One of the big parts as to why people can run solo killing everything and teamfights are such a bore is because people have so much hp that it takes ages to take them down (why do I need a team if I can tank it all/have enough mana to blast everything to bits and don't need to hide behind teammates). Besides, if there is a cap on such things already, then my suggestion sure wouldn't hurt much ;)
You may get people fooled that you are talking from experience and I'm pretty certain you aren't. Unless of course you are going by your standards and consider someone of expert size a huge player ... in which case you are just fine as you don't need to worry about being able to kill everything. But of course other people should get worried if you want to gimp them that much.

I really try to refrain from commenting on your posts but I fail miserably sometimes :(

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 05 Feb 2014 11:04

I remember when Yanus asked me for big and dangerous enemies for us to take with the big team and the only thing we could figure out was the Balrog. I am just a legend and there are very few enemies that can be considered dangerous unless I loose conection. I am all for something that makes all those "elite mobs" so hard that you can't take them with just a team of three and that death is a serious risk in those fights. A long time a go I remember as a Glad right after arma we decided to get the MBB because we were so many people awake and it was great. I remember thinking how cool it was to finally see that fight and I think that the game would gain a lot from returning those feelings. The best eq should be with NPCs that makes you need to collect a team to get.

Zhars idea would make the big myths had almost the same stats which would make the differences between races hardly noticeable. I have had an idea about stats having a hard cap and that you can only train to Sup master until you reach that stat-cap and then instead of gaining stats you gain the ability to train higher.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 05 Feb 2014 12:38

Tive wrote:
Zhar wrote: One of the big parts as to why people can run solo killing everything and teamfights are such a bore is because people have so much hp that it takes ages to take them down (why do I need a team if I can tank it all/have enough mana to blast everything to bits and don't need to hide behind teammates). Besides, if there is a cap on such things already, then my suggestion sure wouldn't hurt much ;)
You may get people fooled that you are talking from experience and I'm pretty certain you aren't. Unless of course you are going by your standards and consider someone of expert size a huge player ... in which case you are just fine as you don't need to worry about being able to kill everything. But of course other people should get worried if you want to gimp them that much.

I really try to refrain from commenting on your posts but I fail miserably sometimes :(
Been higher than that. But sure, I don't have any experience playing as a myth (like probably every wizard out there, outside our juniors) I know it's more than simply huge hp and mana pools, that's just one small part of a big picture.

But, stats aside and all that. Imagine what else such change would affect. When suddenly the game becomes harder it will also influence the gear you're using, AH prices and practically everything else. It's a big change (and one I think we need, but it's not up to me).

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 05 Feb 2014 14:39

arcon wrote:The best eq should be with NPCs that makes you need to collect a team to get.
In a game with ~25 players at any given time, why would this seem like a good idea? So you have to grab a team of players because your platemail broke... Hope the mob has another one, get it, and have it break an hour later? I understand the idea behind it, but I'm not sure you appreciate the sweeping changes that would be required to how gear works, is distributed, rate of dulling, etc. to make these suggestions a reality.

If you want a hardcap, which I still think is a bad idea so late in the game, make it at something high yet reachable, like 250 (225? 230?) avg in a certain stat. Cut the very top tier down to a more reasonable yet still imposing size. Titan and myth 15% apart just doesn't seem like something that would be a good idea for the game and those who have worked so hard to get their size. And I'm not one of them, I'm a baby myth, so no it's not for me.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 05 Feb 2014 16:17

Manglor wrote: 3) to PVP (rewarded by your hard work in #1)
Zhar wrote: This is where his hard work and years of grinding come to shine
Manglor wrote: those who have worked so hard to get their size
Can we please stop refering to grinding as "hard work".
It's a game, not work.

Grinding is so monotonous that it can be done while watching a movie or even automated all together. It does not even require you to be creative like roleplaying, it really only require your computer to be online and an absolute minimum of attention, if you have not scripted your client completely.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 05 Feb 2014 18:16

Perhaps we should discuss the possible advantages to this proposal, as well as the negative consequences. I understand that these are quite grey issues and there are many tweeks that could be made to counter balance these effects (like adjusting the soft-cap).

Positives:
More balance for PvP
Easier for new characters to grow to competitive size
Less frustrating / intimidating to take on the game
More RP, teaming, events and guild politics
Some old players will come back

Negatives:
Nerfs big players and pisses people off
Removes the grinding reward for big players (reason for playing)
Players lose that goal to strive toward, hoping to someday reach a certain size level
Some current players will leave and some old players won't come back

Neutral:
Removes the motivation to play to grind
Harder to get EQ and boss fights

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/