Kiara's quick fix for PVP

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Mersereau
Champion

Re: Kiara's quick fix for PVP

Post by Mersereau » 07 Feb 2014 23:35

Chanele wrote:Anyway, I would not mind to loose some of the Super myths if we by that can make a game that will survive for the long run. As I said earlier, none of them would be where they are without cheating or unfair bonuses.
If you are going to make accusations like this, please provide evidence rather than absolutes.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 07 Feb 2014 23:39

I probably would mind loosing some of the supermyths though. Since most of the active mages are quite large except for me, I could risk being the last mage standing.
So you would sacrifice a potential solution that would secure the future for genesis, to keep those muscles? Even knowing they reached their position with doubtful methods? But I get it, who would fill your racks with top notch items...GG
If changing sling damage from 1000 to 2000 would make me have to wait a month longer for the real recode I'd happily take it since it would make the following 3-5 years much more enjoyable.
This...I have suggested this change for a long time but the answer always is "wait for recodes". The recodes are far away from completed, why on earth is a quick fix out of the question when guilds and players are suffering heavily from it?

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 07 Feb 2014 23:41

Mersereau wrote:
Chanele wrote:Anyway, I would not mind to loose some of the Super myths if we by that can make a game that will survive for the long run. As I said earlier, none of them would be where they are without cheating or unfair bonuses.
If you are going to make accusations like this, please provide evidence rather than absolutes.
Let's try not to derail the thread and accuse anyone. Accuse people of cheating in the flame section please.:)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 07 Feb 2014 23:45

Chanele: Out of curiosity, if you were given one "quick fix" to rangers, to make it more fun to be a ranger until they are recoded, what would you pick? I mean something simple. Like raising skills, upping special / spell damage, etc
A change to Rangers pre-recode is not that easy, I think we have to wait until a proper recode. But the other guilds could do with just a tweak of numbers...

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 08 Feb 2014 01:03

Chanele wrote:
Chanele: Out of curiosity, if you were given one "quick fix" to rangers, to make it more fun to be a ranger until they are recoded, what would you pick? I mean something simple. Like raising skills, upping special / spell damage, etc
A change to Rangers pre-recode is not that easy, I think we have to wait until a proper recode. But the other guilds could do with just a tweak of numbers...
No "tweak in numbers" is easy. It must all be tested and evaluated in case this small "tweak" is going to break a lot of stuff. As I mentioned earlier, it also depends on how things are being calculated and what else is being taken into account (and trust me, some of the old code is rife with stuff that's unacceptable by today's standards and begs to be re-written completely).

I'm not really sure about the change to Rangers. Sure, they can't really compete in the grind wars, but should they be able to? I used to know a lot of Rangers over the years. People were Rangers + Blacksmiths and didn't cry at all at their pathetic damage output. They were still desirable in the team, the actual join process and stuff you can do while being in the guild more than makes up for any deficiency in power in my opinion (so does SS, it should be all about FUN, not "fun and ability to kill", the latter I would even consider an oxymoron when taking Kender into context). And don't even get started on the sneak/hide being useless arguments, this has nothing to do with specific guilds.

- cut - (don't want to make people angry)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 08 Feb 2014 01:56

Chanele wrote:
I think we need a new title beyond myths for those beasts.

One of the guys mentioned 400-500 fantastic progresses(6600+ progresslevels) _after_ reaching myth. Insane stuff. :)
Is this the kind of stuff you're talking about in the Tower? :)

Anyway, I would not mind to loose some of the Super myths if we by that can make a game that will survive for the long run. As I said earlier, none of them would be where they are without cheating or unfair bonuses.
I have to take some exception with this. I don't know if Cel would qualify as a 'super myth' but I would really like some clarification on 'cheating and unfair bonuses'. What are you referring to with this?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 08 Feb 2014 02:03

Cute, but no you do not qualify.

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 08 Feb 2014 02:11

Chanele wrote:Cute, but no you do not qualify.
Then I am un-offended.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 08 Feb 2014 04:09

Zhar wrote: No "tweak in numbers" is easy. It must all be tested and evaluated in case this small "tweak" is going to break a lot of stuff. As I mentioned earlier, it also depends on how things are being calculated and what else is being taken into account (and trust me, some of the old code is rife with stuff that's unacceptable by today's standards and begs to be re-written completely).

I'm not really sure about the change to Rangers. Sure, they can't really compete in the grind wars, but should they be able to? I used to know a lot of Rangers over the years. People were Rangers + Blacksmiths and didn't cry at all at their pathetic damage output. They were still desirable in the team, the actual join process and stuff you can do while being in the guild more than makes up for any deficiency in power in my opinion (so does SS, it should be all about FUN, not "fun and ability to kill", the latter I would even consider an oxymoron when taking Kender into context). And don't even get started on the sneak/hide being useless arguments, this has nothing to do with specific guilds.
- cut - (don't want to make people angry)
Well I can only disagree. I think all guilds should be balanced power wise. Both in PVE and PVP. I think it's a little worrying you feel they dont have to be, and that interesting emotes, trinkets and RP experiences can make up for being weaker? No I dont think it's a good idea to throw things like RP, joining process, "fun emotes and abilities", into the balance mix. Besides, some of the most powerful guilds also have the coolest guild halls, funniest trinkets/abilities + rewarding joining process and RP so... no I dont buy that argument at all.

I think all guilds should be balanced power-wise no matter if they have fun emotes or entertaining joining process. I really hope thats how the AoB feel too... but your comments make me a little worried...

The whole recode thing IS to balance all guilds right?? So an ogre, an angmar, a knight, a calian, a ranger, an SS kender, etc are all more or less equal in terms of power? Different strengths and weaknesses yes, but all in alla balanced against each other. That IS the whole idea... right?

I sure hope so. Otherwise we can just throw the whole idea of PVP in the bin!

A prerequisite for fun PVP is balanced guilds. I am assuming that is where we are heading. Or at least I assume that is the goal. All I suggested was something to make that rather long journey a little more pleasant on the way. I dont know how complex the code is, or how messed up some code is, and how much effort it would take to quick-boost the guilds furthest down the list while waiting for a recode, all I am suggesting is that someone have a look and think about it. If it seems rather simple, it would no doubt provide a much more fun for the people in those guilds. Until they are recoded. IF they are ever recoded. As we know this is a game that's developed on a volunteer basis, so who knows what will eventually happen. Projects underway now may not ever be finished, wizards get tired of being wizards, stuff happens iRL, etc, etc. So yeah... if its fairly simply, why not put some band aid on. For now.
Last edited by Kiara on 08 Feb 2014 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 08 Feb 2014 04:15

The game has no need to be balanced in PVE. Who cares what another player can do that way? I certainly don't care what a player can do against another NPC.

Why should you?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/