Two-handed combat

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Two-handed combat

Post by Zhar » 16 Feb 2014 18:06

I wanted to suggest a minor fix to two-handed combat skill. I've read some articles and watched some videos on the subject of dual-wielding and it appears that it was very rarely utilised on the field of battle (possibly when you lost your shield or something you would pick up another weapon, but that was rare). If ever, it was only used to display skill or in 1v1 duels and then very rarely with the same weapon in your off-hand (2 swords is a no go).

Based on that, I think it would be possible to change two-handed combat by simply designating some weapons as "off-hand" (you still can use them in the main hand) and that if you dual-wield them it gives you some bonuses, regardless of your skill in the weapon. If you wield the off-hand weapon in your off-hand, your two-handed combat skill might grant you bonuses based on this skill alone.

Now, the question is, what kind of bonuses should it grant? Increased AC to make up for the lack of shield? Improved parry chance? Bonus to hit?

What do you think?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kiara
Champion

Re: Two-handed combat

Post by Kiara » 16 Feb 2014 20:57

If it isnt broken dont fix it?:)

No really, whats wrong with how it works now? Dual wielding (with decent skill) gives more offensive power, but you sacrifice the tanking abilities you get from a shield. Seems like a good system to me??

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 16 Feb 2014 21:08

I just remembered this topic being raised over and over again. The bonus power you get from dual-wielding doesn't justify losing your shield. Maybe when you pass legend in size it becomes an option, but before that shield is far superior. Thus, people were complaining that they're essentially paying tax for a useless skill.

Just summarizing what people were saying here. Personally I don't care much and I'd remove it alltogether, but since several guilds already have it, I was thinking about ways of making it attractive to the point of being a serious choice between dw and shield. That's how this idea was born. I'd really like to see glads running with axe/dagger combination, BDA with sword/axe for example etc. Adding a bit of variety to the game definitely can't hurt and can increase competition for gear. As it is, there's just one guild that's interested in daggers, why is that?

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 16 Feb 2014 21:12

Dual wielding sucking comes mostly from alot of shields being broken.
Hopefully we'll get around to fixing abusive shields eventually.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 16 Feb 2014 21:14

Heh, I already proposed a fix for that. Simply give shield skill to everyone (trainable to sup lay in AG and higher in certain guilds, like KoS, Neidar and obviously AA) that will work pretty much like parry, blocking some hits but not giving AC.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 17 Feb 2014 23:34

Zhar wrote:I just remembered this topic being raised over and over again. The bonus power you get from dual-wielding doesn't justify losing your shield. Maybe when you pass legend in size it becomes an option, but before that shield is far superior. Thus, people were complaining that they're essentially paying tax for a useless skill.
Yes. Till you are champion/legend is better tu use a weapon and a shield than two weapons.
I guess this is why Gladiators have high defence skill but even with that it is still not enough.
And in another thread someone was complaining about this unjustified overpower of Gladiators
skills, with example of the defence one... If you want them to use two weapons you need to compensate that.

As for not-in-game dual-wielding.

In two swords form there are usually two swords of different size:
a shorter one wielded in front to parry, block, seize weapon
or just confuse the opponent and the longer sword which is used
for actual cutting.

Compared to two-handed one sword form, two swords is harder to master.
One needs greater strength to control two weapons.

Two swords give better blocking/defence abilites.
Also as it's rarely used, opponents often do not know how to fight
against such a style.

The disadvantage is this form requires you to hold your longer blade
above your forehead which will tire your arm quickly.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 17 Feb 2014 23:55

Think when you wield two two-handed weapons you should get a massive defensive bonus AND ninja-nuke specials.

Syrk
Rising Hero

Post by Syrk » 18 Feb 2014 00:05

OgreToyBoy wrote:AND ninja-nuke specials.
At least as powerful as Blademasters or even MORE so.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 12 Mar 2014 10:58

oh oh give rangers dual wielding! *whistles innocently*

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 17 Mar 2014 23:22

Zhar wrote:Heh, I already proposed a fix for that. Simply give shield skill to everyone (trainable to sup lay in AG and higher in certain guilds, like KoS, Neidar and obviously AA) that will work pretty much like parry, blocking some hits but not giving AC.

So what sort of bonus would different shields give?
More blocking?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/