Restart Genesis with more or less open source code

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Open up Gensis code and redo what being a wizard means? (see below)

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.
44%
Maybe, we need to try something new, but I have another idea. (tell us below!)
11%
No, I am happy with the current system.
44%

Total votes: 18

Jhael
Adept

Re: Restart Genesis with more or less open source code

Post by Jhael » 20 Mar 2014 01:33

Kiara wrote: I think one of the massive hurdles for potential new wizards is that you basically have nobody to ask, a documentation that is ancient, and extremely limited access to "real" code. I think quite a few people would find it fun to just play around with real code and test things out.

It doesn't solve everything of course, but sure, it might be a reasonable step in the right direction without that much "risk" involved.
How about the fact that if you are a wizard you are strongly discouraged (read: disallowed) from playing your mortal character(s). Sprinkle in some "you'll never touch meaningful code unless you're part of the admin team" and there's really hardly any point.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Mar 2014 02:54

Jhael wrote:
Kiara wrote: I think one of the massive hurdles for potential new wizards is that you basically have nobody to ask, a documentation that is ancient, and extremely limited access to "real" code. I think quite a few people would find it fun to just play around with real code and test things out.

It doesn't solve everything of course, but sure, it might be a reasonable step in the right direction without that much "risk" involved.
How about the fact that if you are a wizard you are strongly discouraged (read: disallowed) from playing your mortal character(s). Sprinkle in some "you'll never touch meaningful code unless you're part of the admin team" and there's really hardly any point.
Which we need a change of how things work. The lack of new productive wizards and decline of players in general is clear proof that the way of doing things isnt exactly working fantastic.

But if I got a copper coin for all the people who's said basically the exact same thing as you say... I'd have at least silver coin... there are people out there willing to help out, but not if it means giving up both playing the game and their whole spare time for it. Making a contribution to user-created text game should not have to be THAT complicated I think.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Mar 2014 06:14

Kiara, you are certainly never lacking time to create long and complex ideas. Maybe you should become a wizard yourself and come upstairs to help us out. I'd welcome you as a coder. It seems clear that you've got the energy and drive it takes to make things happen. You'd probably end up being one of the more productive wizards we've ever had, if you have half as much time for wizard work as you have for blogging.

The door is open. Mail me, and lets get it started. I can't wait to see how much work you're willing to produce, and how seriously you'll take your role as a wizard. This could really make a difference! :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 20 Mar 2014 08:10

gorboth wrote:Kiara, you are certainly never lacking time to create long and complex ideas. Maybe you should become a wizard yourself and come upstairs to help us out. I'd welcome you as a coder. It seems clear that you've got the energy and drive it takes to make things happen. You'd probably end up being one of the more productive wizards we've ever had, if you have half as much time for wizard work as you have for blogging.

The door is open. Mail me, and lets get it started. I can't wait to see how much work you're willing to produce, and how seriously you'll take your role as a wizard. This could really make a difference! :-)

G.
I got plenty of time for complex and controversial ideas, you know that! I got less time for actual work of course. Since that takes like... a gazillion more hours of actual work! But fair enough, I guess if I can criticise you, you can mock me if you want!

But okay then, since you're offering a position, I'll make a counter offer. Create the "Arch of Marketing" position and give me the job. I require full access to the website, Facebook accounts, and everything else that I might need. (Like access to all statistics over website hits, new players etc). I get final say when it comes to any marketing and advertisement questions. Then I'll show you it's possible to double the playerbase in a year. Which I believe was the goal when you became Keeper a decade ago. If I fail at least you wont have to hear me complaining about how we never promote and how you failed at that etc. So either way, you win! What do you say? Do we have a deal?

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 20 Mar 2014 11:02

So Kiara, you don't want to contribute with code but rather doing the promotional side for the game. I have a suggestion if this is indeed a talent you have; What if the admin gives you a wizard for that role, and see how you do Before handling you that specialized administrative role as an arch? You don't need the access to all the code in order to conduct any of your work, and certainly not in a position as a tryout.

Do you have the guts and persistence in order to fill the shoes of an arch? Earn it by Proving your potential, put your money where your mouth is sort of speak.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Jhael
Adept

Post by Jhael » 21 Mar 2014 00:34

Kas wrote:So Kiara, you don't want to contribute with code but rather doing the promotional side for the game. I have a suggestion if this is indeed a talent you have; What if the admin gives you a wizard for that role, and see how you do Before handling you that specialized administrative role as an arch? You don't need the access to all the code in order to conduct any of your work, and certainly not in a position as a tryout.

Do you have the guts and persistence in order to fill the shoes of an arch? Earn it by Proving your potential, put your money where your mouth is sort of speak.
The way I read the post, this is exactly what Kiara is saying. I think the real person we need to address your post to, Kas, is Gorboth. Gorboth said he'd welcome Kiara with open arms ... well Kiara just said "Here's what I'll need and what I'll do." Gorbie, you're up.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 21 Mar 2014 10:54

Yes. Discussions are underway.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 22 Mar 2014 01:00

Kvator wrote:btw, just ooc question: is there any ACTIVE mud that is not constantly loosing playerbase (i mean genesis-like lp mud, i hate this shitty chatlike muds, with lvls numbers etc), i've logged today into arkadia (only other mud i was ever involved with) - polish lp mud, which was made by genesis players, where lots of changes were made (lots of the changes ppl here are talking bout - like heavy support for pvp, ALMOST perfect balance between guilds etc) - at its peak there were like 250-300 ppl in game + 50-100 in queue (rly), today...76 (shitty number comparing to the old days, but on the other hand imagine 76 ppl online on gen nowadays)
Just to follow up on this. Right now BatMud has 133 players online. If they can do it, why couldn't we? (And their mud looks kinda crappy with numbers and... you can be a DUCK, and... well ugh...:)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Mar 2014 04:17

Arkadia, which is a Polish off-spring of Genesis has ~50 players on average. They have pretty harsh restrictions when it comes to using scripts and roleplay is pretty heavily enforced (mostly by players since there are no auto-join occ guilds so if you want any significant skills or specials then you have to go through entire application process, tasks and so on).

Genesis, being english, has a potential for much bigger playerbase. I wonder if we can afford to undergo overhauls on the scale Arkadia did (they made such drastic changes that for a time they've lost most of their players and wizards but they recovered from that).

Here are some of the changes they made over the years (before that they had the same mechanics as Genesis for the most part):

1. Removed quest experience - this made quests completely optional
2. Removed brute - no point having it without qexp
3. Changed how combat exp is calculated - required for no brute, special formulas that calculate enemy strength vs player (team) strength, basically, you don't get ANY xp for fighting something much weaker than you are, this effectively ties maximum player size to maximum NPC size
4. Removed guilds - in their place they've put origins (racial guild equivalent, give you titles, surnames and other such stuff, never any skills), occupations (skill sets to train) and associations (guild equivalent). Now this requires a further explanation, first the occupations, that's pretty much guild stuff, there are auto-join occupations, which give you a set of skills up to layman-guild level, usually there's a requirement to be able to take an auto-join occupation (quest, size etc.). You simply walk up to the trainer and he'll train you in the skills. No more, no less, you don't get any specials, guildhalls or anything from that. Then there's true occupations, which you can't join unless you're a member of an association. Each association has its default occupation (occ-guild level training with specials and what not, it replaces the auto-join occupation if you had any) and its members can perform deeds to gain postings. Association leaders can then assign their members to special postings, effectively allowing them to select occupation different from the default and based on association's needs. Example: You join BDA, you get their trainings, specials, guildhalls, racks etc. You're there for some time, prove your worth and the General decides that the guild could use a scout so he gives you a Ranger posting. You are now a BDA member with access to Ranger skills and specials (you lose BDA stuff though).

Personally, I love their approach to guilds. It gives players the opportunity to express their real allegiances and RP desires without tying them down to specific skill sets (I'd love to play RDA Ranger).
Last edited by Zhar on 22 Mar 2014 04:42, edited 3 times in total.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 22 Mar 2014 04:38

a lot of things can contribute to number of players that may not increase quality of play.
batmud sounds like a goofy mud it probibly has active chatlines
so id imagine you got half the players there never leaving start locaton and chatting.
flaming and griefing this is something genesis trys to avoid.

genesis offers a semi-immersive rp environment that requires hard work experiance
and a good deal of patience to succeed it wiill probibly never get number like graphical
alternitives. These days prople can log into facebook and get into a mmo. however
members of genesis are extreamly loyal most of the people i talk to even newbies
have been on and off genesis for ages.

For what genesis is i think it is doing fairly well for itself. and if it did dumb itself down
added chatlines, let people keep equipment, made all guilds easy to join. added quest
shortcuts and alt support . added goofy imersion breaking things like player ducks/sheep
yes it would probibly get more people but they would play for a few months and leave
and they might drive away loyal members that have been with gen since 95.

Im not saying the game would not benifit from features like this if they could be added
in a fair and non immersion breaking way. but they would be difficult and risky.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/