Restart Genesis with more or less open source code

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Open up Gensis code and redo what being a wizard means? (see below)

Yes, this sounds like a good idea.
44%
Maybe, we need to try something new, but I have another idea. (tell us below!)
11%
No, I am happy with the current system.
44%

Total votes: 18

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Restart Genesis with more or less open source code

Post by Zhar » 22 Mar 2014 18:26

And how about batmud? They seem to retain a pretty strong playerbase consistently over the past 10 years. Does anyone have experience with this MUD and what makes it so special?

Maybe it's the smaller gap?

Code: Select all

| Place  Name      Status      HP         SP        EP   | Lvl |   Experience
|
|========================================================|=====|==============|
| 1.1   Juggelo       ldr 1322(1322) 1012(1012) 413(413) | 600 |           77
|
|*1.2   Crx           fol 1799(1799)   18(  18) 406(406) |  94 |           21
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kiara
Champion

Post by Kiara » 22 Mar 2014 19:38

Zhar wrote:And how about batmud? They seem to retain a pretty strong playerbase consistently over the past 10 years. Does anyone have experience with this MUD and what makes it so special?

Maybe it's the smaller gap?

Code: Select all

| Place  Name      Status      HP         SP        EP   | Lvl |   Experience
|
|========================================================|=====|==============|
| 1.1   Juggelo       ldr 1322(1322) 1012(1012) 413(413) | 600 |           77
|
|*1.2   Crx           fol 1799(1799)   18(  18) 406(406) |  94 |           21
Like I sad earlier I think the key to their success is not a fantastic MUD, but longterm focus on promotion and a user friendly experience for new players. The have a marketing team, a nice and very selling homepage, and a custom client. I dont think they retain their players more than any other game, I think they simply get more new players, which keeps their numbers on a decent level. Now I haven only tested it briefly for research so I could be wrong of course, but thats my guess.

But when it comes to _retaining_ players, can anyone actually say Genesis is doing that bad? Most of our current playerbase has been around for over a decade. Some TWO decades. I can't see how any changes to the core gameplay would have that much of an impact on player numbers. Just by for example removing quests I dont think we will suddenly get a boost in new players. Like I have said before I think it's better to find people who enjoy the current game, than to completely redo the game, and then find other players who like the new game.

Now if we do get a lot of new players and every single of them says they quit because of quests, then it's a different story.

Zar
Hero

Post by Zar » 22 Mar 2014 20:53

petros wrote: I actually have extensive playing experience in 3K. I love their many guild options and of course, their LDMud is based on LPMud so gameplay is fairly familiar. They've seen a very steady decline in player base over the last 5-6 years. Back around 2007, they had around 100-200 players online almost anytime you went on. Now it's closer to 20-30. Part of the decline happened after they split their game into two locations.
I noticed some kind of decline too.
I think that there were some reasons for that:
- Opening 3Scape (Like Exodus/Igor for Genesis but official)
- It is hard to count... HighMortals (gained by qxp - about quarter of all quest exp) can hide their online status on "who" list
- Wiz political war that happened about five years ago (If I am not mistaken)

I monitored activity level today: 50-80 players all the time (both 3Kingdom and 3Scape)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/