Revitalization

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Creed

Re: Revitalization

Post by Creed » 02 Jul 2014 11:07

Can't you just make a new "stat" that you apply to all NPC's?

Call it "XP", and give it whatever amount you feel is fitting.
That way people actually gain a lot more by taking on foes that are hard or dangerous to fight, but doesn't have the huge stats to give any real xp..

So.. if a kretan gives 10 xp, a kroug 20, Emerald (dragon) 500 and Balrog 5000. Something like that. (random numbers for scale)
That way any NPC, no matter how hard, will become interesting, since the harder it is, the more progress it will yield.

User avatar
Habiki
Adept
Posts: 128
Joined: 29 Jul 2010 15:29
Location: China

Re: Revitalization

Post by Habiki » 05 Jul 2014 17:59

Eldoral does have special quests, including special quests for the Calian guild, but it is lifeless. It would be a good opportunity for new development in Calia, but it's also really hard to get there. Just getting there is a quest!

I would like to say that a lot of magic map work has been done recently (e.g. Flotsam boat, Ansalon), and I think that helps revitalize areas. Some nice new work has been done on the Sybarus mainland especially. Thanks wizards!

User avatar
Zhar
Wizard
Posts: 1009
Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09

Re: Revitalization

Post by Zhar » 07 Jul 2014 02:27

Habiki wrote:Eldoral does have special quests, including special quests for the Calian guild, but it is lifeless. It would be a good opportunity for new development in Calia, but it's also really hard to get there. Just getting there is a quest!

I would like to say that a lot of magic map work has been done recently (e.g. Flotsam boat, Ansalon), and I think that helps revitalize areas. Some nice new work has been done on the Sybarus mainland especially. Thanks wizards!
You only need to do the entrance quest once in Eldoral. After that you may come and go as you please.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Caw
Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: 07 Feb 2014 18:12

Re: Revitalization

Post by Caw » 07 Jul 2014 15:43

I do like Edoral I just hate that its such a large interesting area that only purpose is a hand full of quests. And the fact that its gated by a quest is perfect in some ways. It means newbies cant get there without a good bit of work so you could safely put more dangerous mobs there without endangering young'uns.

That brings up other of the things I was reminding of during my return. It seems like the harder mobs are right out in the open and easy to find, while some of the best hunting spots for the young'uns are kinda hidden away. Orcs in Hobbiton and Bree, Hobgoblins in Avenir, Kobolds in Terel. Some are down right hidden and others are just tucked out of the way and people dont find them till they are too big.

Would be nice if Carlsan or some new "Game Hunter" npc in sparkle would give quests to characters that would direct them to appropriate sized mobs to kill.

Greneth

Re: Revitalization

Post by Greneth » 07 Jul 2014 18:48

Caw wrote:I do like Edoral I just hate that its such a large interesting area that only purpose is a hand full of quests. And the fact that its gated by a quest is perfect in some ways. It means newbies cant get there without a good bit of work so you could safely put more dangerous mobs there without endangering young'uns.

That brings up other of the things I was reminding of during my return. It seems like the harder mobs are right out in the open and easy to find, while some of the best hunting spots for the young'uns are kinda hidden away. Orcs in Hobbiton and Bree, Hobgoblins in Avenir, Kobolds in Terel. Some are down right hidden and others are just tucked out of the way and people dont find them till they are too big.

Would be nice if Carlsan or some new "Game Hunter" npc in sparkle would give quests to characters that would direct them to appropriate sized mobs to kill.
There are some goodies in Edoral if you know what you're looking for, but nothing for grinding. Would be nice to see more activity there but to be honest you have Krougs, Undead, Argo and Delphi all for grinding. Would be much easier to adjust the exp and rewards of them and save Edoral was saved for something more interesting then another grind fest.

Caw
Beginner
Posts: 15
Joined: 07 Feb 2014 18:12

Re: Revitalization

Post by Caw » 07 Jul 2014 19:23

I am by no means looking for just another grind area. My whole point of this thread was just to make areas that seems under used more interesting and valuable. And I freely admitted that some of the area that I mentioned might have hidden value that I have yet to learn about. But we have wizards creating more and larger areas constantly when we already have tons of code in the game that's being neglected. All i'm trying to do here is spark some interest to that end.

Berwyn
Veteran
Posts: 202
Joined: 02 Sep 2012 23:56

Re: Revitalization

Post by Berwyn » 11 Jul 2014 14:46

Ok, here is my idea for revitalisation of still new and unexplored to me, Genesis:

It's an assassin-thief type of idea:

Add another area (something like another level) above roofs in certain towns that would require climb and acrobatics skills. This would provide shortcuts and restricted access to different places for instance: top level palace, hideout of criminals or hidden market square.
Possibly the rooftop ways could be joined with web of dungeons(many ways of adding dungeon dwellers there).
Additionally, to give playing a thief more flavour and significance, some npcs could be given items that are only possible to get through theft, for instance: keys, magic jewellery or tools that raise skill, etc.

Regards,
Berwyn

Alexi
Veteran
Posts: 238
Joined: 17 May 2010 22:30
Location: USA

Re: Revitalization

Post by Alexi » 25 Aug 2014 18:59

Personally, I liked what was done to Ribos and Terel Goblin Caves. Unless I was mistaken when you attacked a mob a "snapshot" was taken of the player first attacking and then the mob would grow/shrink substantially dependent on the stat-average? This would also allow a lot of "special" npcs to be tailored so just not super-myths and the likes could attack them. Maybe a team snapshot could be used and @ least give a team of heroes a fighting chance to win a battle?

It would definitely be in Genesis's favor in making the game "playable" for all.

User avatar
Avatar
Titan
Posts: 463
Joined: 10 Mar 2010 05:52
Location: Denmark

Re: Revitalization

Post by Avatar » 26 Aug 2014 10:22

Alexi wrote:Personally, I liked what was done to Ribos and Terel Goblin Caves. Unless I was mistaken when you attacked a mob a "snapshot" was taken of the player first attacking and then the mob would grow/shrink substantially dependent on the stat-average? This would also allow a lot of "special" npcs to be tailored so just not super-myths and the likes could attack them. Maybe a team snapshot could be used and @ least give a team of heroes a fighting chance to win a battle?

It would definitely be in Genesis's favor in making the game "playable" for all.
It's a decent idea, although it could be exploited/abused, thus meaning that people WILL exploit/abuse it. If an NPC with awesome equipment needs to be killed for said equipment, all it would take, is for a team with a smaller member to show up, kick the smaller player, have him/her attack the NPC, and then team up with the others again, thus making the NPC easily killable for the bigger players.

If I understood your meaning that is.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Nerull
Wizard
Posts: 158
Joined: 05 Jul 2014 23:24

Re: Revitalization

Post by Nerull » 27 Aug 2014 13:03

Mobs may also have limited scaling, continuous scaling based on opponent or even based on damage dealt over time, and regarding weaponry or magical items - they could scale dynamically depending on the size of the wearer/wielder.

A myriad of ways to deal with this, only limited by the imagination. :)

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/