Characters in game visible on web page

Discuss ideas for how to make the game better. Wizards, take note!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Keltar
Wanderer

Characters in game visible on web page

Post by Keltar » 11 Oct 2014 22:13

This should be easy enough to do since we have stats already present.
One could opt out of it just like for stats.

Have a web page, similar to player rankings with name and mortal level.
So people could see how many characters there are currently on.
And whom they could send a mail to have a team of around the same level go out and enjoy themselves.
There could also be statistics about how many players of certain levels were present at what hours.
No names in the statistics, obviously, just mortal levels.

pros:
Since I am low-mid level, I can finally know whom I should mail and at least try to build a team instead of logging on, seeing "You know 6 people of 10/20/30/40" of whom most are high++ level, and saying "shit, another lonely session".
People could see how alive Genesis is at the present moment.
People could plan play sessions based on the statistics - meaning higher chance to team up with people their own level - this might get more players in perhaps - especially those in lower levels who are new to the game.

cons:
I am sure you can think of many

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Characters in game visible on web page

Post by Cherek » 12 Oct 2014 03:12

Keltar wrote:This should be easy enough to do since we have stats already present.
One could opt out of it just like for stats.

Have a web page, similar to player rankings with name and mortal level.
So people could see how many characters there are currently on.
And whom they could send a mail to have a team of around the same level go out and enjoy themselves.
There could also be statistics about how many players of certain levels were present at what hours.
No names in the statistics, obviously, just mortal levels.

pros:
Since I am low-mid level, I can finally know whom I should mail and at least try to build a team instead of logging on, seeing "You know 6 people of 10/20/30/40" of whom most are high++ level, and saying "shit, another lonely session".
People could see how alive Genesis is at the present moment.
People could plan play sessions based on the statistics - meaning higher chance to team up with people their own level - this might get more players in perhaps - especially those in lower levels who are new to the game.

cons:
I am sure you can think of many
HWhy cant you see all people online in your who-list? All player awake are listed, regardless if you know them or not. Or do you mean you want mortal levels to show as well? And titles too?

Maybe thats something to consider, but that's a decision that should be made in game first I think. If you can convince the admin it's a good idea!:)

Either way, the "cons" to your idea are that if we showed the who list on the web page you lose one reason to log in. At least now you log in to check. If you check the webpage and see only <10 players awake and none of your friends, perhaps you wont log in at all? And start just checking the webpage instead of logging into the game?

Showing the numbers on the webpage can go both ways too. It can show Genesis is a community that's alive and kicking, like you say, but if our numbers are low it could also make people feel less inclined to play. And might even stop new players from trying it out. Sure they'll discover the game doesn't have so many players eventually, but hopefully at least some have been hooked on the newbie single player storyline first. I think a big sign saying "10 players online" doesn't help that much in acquiring new players, or keeping old ones interested.

Personally I'd like our numbers to be a bit higher before we use our player numbers when marketing. Currently a large active playerbase and social gameplay is not our strongest selling points. I'd love it to be. But we're not really there right now. If we could average 50+ players at any given time, then we might have something to show.

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 12 Oct 2014 13:32

Cherek wrote: Why cant you see all people online in your who-list? All player awake are listed, regardless if you know them or not. Or do you mean you want mortal levels to show as well? And titles too?
What command shows all people in the realms currently ? I know of none available to people above certain level.
Titles are unnecessary. This is too much detail.
A workaround is to:
1 create a new temporary char and this new char will have all people on the 'who' list. Unfortunately, their levels will not be visible.
2 copy all the names somehow.
3 quit the temporary char
4 log in with the char I want to play
5 mail all the names from the list I got from the temporary char
6 wait and hope there is someone around my own level who is willing to team up

This is a messy workaround and since I dont like workarounds, hence the idea.
What I would like is a way to contact other people of around my own level, similarly to what auction house does at the moment, be it in or out of game.
A place I could go to and advertise that I want to form/join a team and go out do stuff together.
Then all the people interested will have their paddle or whatever humm and see that such with such a level wants to meet up.

About web page statistics, I dont really need numbers.
wanderer to ga might be low level
veteran to hero - middle
16-17: a few lower level and several middle level people enjoyed the lands
17-18: a few lower level and several middle level people enjoyed the lands
18-19: some middle level people enjoyed the lands
etc.

Those who want to play will still play regardless but people might want to pinpoint exact times when others their own level are available. Especially since, I think, it was established that the playerbase is pretty mature these days and dont have a lot of time on their hands.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 12 Oct 2014 13:46

Huh?

<who> shows everyone in the realms. Everyone. You don't get filters based on your level. <who f> shows the titles for people you have actually met, but not for people you haven't. So, yes, there is a current existing command that shows everyone in the realm. :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 12 Oct 2014 15:42

options show unmet on ...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 12 Oct 2014 18:58

Isn't options show unmet on the default setting for new chars? You turned it off at some point Keltar? Or is it default off? Thats not good if so...

Actually it's a pretty bad name for it in the options. "Show unmet descs" doesnt really say anything about who to show on the who list.

Boreaulam
Wizard

Post by Boreaulam » 12 Oct 2014 20:05

I think Keltar also wanted to know approximate size of unmet people

Keltar
Wanderer

Post by Keltar » 12 Oct 2014 22:11

boreaulam wrote:I think Keltar also wanted to know approximate size of unmet people
That is correct, an approximate size would be a nice addon.
e.g. who s would give
xxx is about the same size as you
yyy is bigger then you
zzz is much bigger then you

And yes I had showunmet off... thanks for pointing that out everyone.
"Show unmet descs" is bit of an unlucky term

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Oct 2014 00:15

Keltar wrote:
boreaulam wrote:I think Keltar also wanted to know approximate size of unmet people
That is correct, an approximate size would be a nice addon.
e.g. who s would give
xxx is about the same size as you
yyy is bigger then you
zzz is much bigger then you

And yes I had showunmet off... thanks for pointing that out everyone.
"Show unmet descs" is bit of an unlucky term
Well regardless I think it's a discussion for a potential change in-game, I dont see the gain in putting it on the webpage. We want people to log in, and I think you should have to log in to see who is awake in the game.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/